50 CENT TO HEADLINE LIONS’ THIRD ANNUAL CONCERT KICKOFF AT HOME OPENER

Started by Blueforlife, May 27, 2024, 10:33:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Blue and Gold

Fit-tee! From featured Super Bowl half time artist to BC Lions home opener.

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Stats Junkie

It sounds like the 200 level seats are sold out (few singles remain). Sales are going well in the 400 level now.
Twitter: @Stats_Junkie
Threads: statsjunkie71

theaardvark

So, are people coming for 50cent?  Or are they selling tickets for $.50 to paper the stadium?

You'd think they'd have an upper bowl endzone special with tickets costing fitty cents.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: theaardvark on May 31, 2024, 04:03:55 PMSo, are people coming for 50cent?  Or are they selling tickets for $.50 to paper the stadium?

You'd think they'd have an upper bowl endzone special with tickets costing fitty cents.

https://www.ticketmaster.ca/bc-lions-vs-calgary-stampeders-vancouver-british-columbia-06-15-2024/event/1100608F986D238B

What they've sold is pretty impressive!

ModAdmin

Two important questions...

Are they or will they be CFL/Lions fans?

Is this a one off to see 50 Cents?
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: ModAdmin on May 31, 2024, 06:50:25 PMTwo important questions...

Does it really matter? CFL teams need to make almost their entire revenue in 10 or 11 3-4 hour windows each year.

For at least one of those, the BC Lions managed to sell a giant stadium (by CFL standards).

Obviously there will be fans of the rapper, fans of the CFL and everything in-between. The hope would be at the end of the day, there are more Lions fans, more 50 Cent fans, and fans of the CFL.

ModAdmin

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on May 31, 2024, 10:33:07 PMDoes it really matter? CFL teams need to make almost their entire revenue in 10 or 11 3-4 hour windows each year.

For at least one of those, the BC Lions managed to sell a giant stadium (by CFL standards).

Obviously there will be fans of the rapper, fans of the CFL and everything in-between. The hope would be at the end of the day, there are more Lions fans, more 50 Cent fans, and fans of the CFL.

Yex, of course some will be fans of the rapper, some fans of the Lions and the CFL, but bringing in first class or middle class entertainment is not likely the way to build and maintain a fan base.  Sure it might bring extra fans to see such entertainment but can owners afford to do that on a regular basis and will that sustain/grow a Lions' fan base?  I think not.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

ichabod_crane

50 cent is no better than half a dollar! :D Have NO CLUE what even one of his songs is or sounds like. Heard his name LONGGGGG AGO, but no fan of his tunes or music scene very much. If they were bringing in Mozart that would interest me 100 times more!! :D Now there is a TRUE genius! :D ;)

TecnoGenius

Quote from: ModAdmin on May 31, 2024, 06:50:25 PMTwo important questions...

Ya, doesn't matter.  A certain (high) percentage will see the rapper and stay for the game.  A certain (low) percentage of that will then like what they see and become fans.

BUT, it's a numbers game.  If you can convert 1% of rapper-only people to STH immediately, that's money in the bank for years to come.  If you can further convert 5% to 3-5 games-this-season fans then that is valuable.  If you can convert 10% to "comes to 1 other game that season" that's good too.

If 40k come to see the rapper, then if my numbers are even remotely close, that's 400 new STH, 2000 "flex pack", and 4000 come-backs.  BUT, you also convert those lesser converts over the next few years into STH.  It has a pile-on effect, and fans work to convert friends into fans.

The Lions have already done this with LL Cool J, and they must have been satisfied the results are cost-effective.  The best thing BC can do after the rap show is put on a great game where they kick some butt.  I'm glad we're not vs them in week 1.
Never go full Rider!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: ModAdmin on June 01, 2024, 05:00:53 AMYex, of course some will be fans of the rapper, some fans of the Lions and the CFL, but bringing in first class or middle class entertainment is not likely the way to build and maintain a fan base.  Sure it might bring extra fans to see such entertainment but can owners afford to do that on a regular basis and will that sustain/grow a Lions' fan base?  I think not.

Back in 2012 CBC estimated Doman's net worth at almost $700 million, so yes, he very likely can afford a big act every season opener, at the very least.

Why do you think an almost sold out building won't help even if a musician helps to get people there? What would you do? $2.50 hot dogs and extra billboards? This isn't one of those things that you need to think too hard about. The goal is to get people to go to the game and this obviously worked.

ModAdmin

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 01, 2024, 10:17:21 AMBack in 2012 CBC estimated Doman's net worth at almost $700 million, so yes, he very likely can afford a big act every season opener, at the very least.

Why do you think an almost sold out building won't help even if a musician helps to get people there? What would you do? $2.50 hot dogs and extra billboards? This isn't one of those things that you need to think too hard about. The goal is to get people to go to the game and this obviously worked.

The plan, the goal, the strategy, the end result, whatever you want to call it, is not just to get people to go to a game, rather it is selling the game and keep people returning to the game. 50 Cents, the Rolling Stones, Taylor Swift and the likes are not going to do that, plain and simple. There is no proof these performers do anything to increase the fan base.

It's nice to see 50 Cents bring more fans into this one game but it's not going to consistently bring more new football fans to future games. Let's see how many of those 50 Cent fans are at the next Lions' game.

Blueforlife

The BC ownership ground turned the business side around and these concerts have been one of the reasons for it