Charles Roberts

Started by VictorRomano, June 13, 2023, 05:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse

Roberts was the best. I will accept answers of Lewis from the old dogs. Totally fair to place those as 1 or 2 depending on the era you?re from.

You can probably slot Harris in at 3 but I haven?t seen any of the other guys play to really rank beyond that.
My wife is amazing!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Jesse on June 13, 2023, 11:24:54 PM
Roberts was the best. I will accept answers of Lewis from the old dogs. Totally fair to place those as 1 or 2 depending on the era you?re from.

You can probably slot Harris in at 3 but I haven?t seen any of the other guys play to really rank beyond that.
As per usual Jesse and I concur on this topic.

Linc how about another Leo Lewis break down! lol GO??.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

BLUEBOMBER

Oliveira clearly is not the type of running back that can win a championship for us.  Time to move on if he doesn't show up with more than what he has done so far.

pjrocksmb

Quote from: BLUEBOMBER on June 14, 2023, 12:36:55 AM
Oliveira clearly is not the type of running back that can win a championship for us.  Time to move on if he doesn't show up with more than what he has done so far.
This makes zero sense imo, disagree all.  Was very good last year 2nd half.  Might be great.  Key cog in the Bomber wheel.

GOLDMEMBER

Did you even watch that last GC game? Watch it again and report back to me. Sheesh!

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on June 13, 2023, 11:53:08 PM
As per usual Jesse and I concur on this topic.

Linc how about another Leo Lewis break down! lol GO??.
Many of you never had the chance to watch Leo play.....he was the best player Bud Grant ever coached on either side of the border.  

"17. The player Bud Grant considered to be the best he ever coached in either league was Leo Lewis who played halfback for the Blue Bombers between the years 1955 and 1966. Leo had rushed for 8861 yards with a remarkable average of 6.6 yards per carry."

Charles Robert's was arguably on of the most talented backs we ever had however he didn't win a cup along with another Bomber legend, Milt.
Leo appeared in 6 Grey Cups and won 4....a record no other Bomber RB can claim.    He only played for one team and that was the Bombers from 1955-1966, when he retired due to injury.
Andrew Harris, being a Canadian and Winnipeger has 4 Cups with 3 teams and I rank him actually ahead of Blink for that reason....he was a total team guy and sorry we lost him....
There were other good backs, including Willard Reaves, Dave Ramey and one of the most exciting ever, Mini Mack Herron....and others as well

For me it's all about winning Cups for the Bombers and that's why I rank the top 3 in this order....

Lewis
Harris
Blink

Lewis remains the Bombers all-time leader in combined rushing, passing and kickoff returns.....he averaged 6.6 yards per carry and his kick return average was just under 30 yards.   He also passed for 14 TDs.....and was asked to fill in for place kicking duties and punting.   

http://www.bluebombers.com/2016/09/14/the-leo-lewis-story/

I make no apologies for reiterating yet again, the virtues of one of the greatest Bomber players of all time and I felt this way before hearing the interview with Bud Grant (our greatest coach of all time) where he stated emphatically that Leo was just that good.....

Had Harris stayed on to complete his career with us, I might have ranked him on par with Leo, however he left in a huff something Leo would never do.    For me what makes players great isn't just their athletic ability or play making skills, but their total character, integrity and commitment to the team.   Leo displayed all of these virtues in spades.   I consider my self extremely fortunate and privileged to watch him play and to have met him in person....

I rest my case

Woof woof....from the "old dog"
Bomber fan for life

dd

Wow, this is the funniest post I?ve read in quite a while!! Troll much??

Jesse

Clearly we need someone to get more than the 170+ yards he racked up last week?
My wife is amazing!

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Jesse on June 14, 2023, 03:36:54 AM
Clearly we need someone to get more than the 170+ yards he racked up last week?
Oliveira looks to be rounding into form quite nicely and has worked on his passing game in the off season.     He was one of the stars of the game with Hamilton racking up his first 100 yard rushing game and another 70 through the air....those are Harris like numbers and he could have a big season with this high powered offence.
Not sure what Bluebomber's  point was in thinking BO is not producing for us? 
Bomber fan for life

Jesse

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on June 14, 2023, 06:11:21 AM
Oliveira looks to be rounding into form quite nicely and has worked on his passing game in the off season.     He was one of the stars of the game with Hamilton racking up his first 100 yard rushing game and another 70 through the air....those are Harris like numbers and he could have a big season with this high powered offence.
Not sure what Jesse's point was in thinking BO is not producing for us? 

Don't put that nonsense on me. That was BLUEBOMBER.
My wife is amazing!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on June 14, 2023, 06:11:21 AM
Not sure what Jesse's point was in thinking BO is not producing for us? 
:D wrong member.

blue_gold_84

What a woefully ignorant comment.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

pjrocksmb

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on June 14, 2023, 01:10:51 PM
What a woefully ignorant comment.
Yup not sure where that came from

VictorRomano

Quote from: Waffler on June 13, 2023, 09:10:25 PM
his work ethic was questionable.  I remember him practicing in the old stadium in what appeared to be dress shoes one time. Never did know what was going on there. Just seemed downright lazy sometimes. I think of how great he could have been less so than what he did do.

He was also a chainsmoker.  Used to hang out on the Wise Guys patio when I was a bouncer there, knocking back menthols.  I always thought his career could have been even more impressive if he just looked after his body and took his training more seriously like Stegall did.

peg_city

Charlie was most athletic RB I've seen on the Bombers during my fandom (since 1995).

If my memory serves me correctly, he missed blocks and fumbled a lot.

That being said, Andrew Harris played beyond one of the best offensive lines in BB history. Charles played behind average to below average offensive lines and finished consistently in the top 2 in rushing. Behind the 2019 offensive line, he'd probably get close to 1700 yards a season+.