Charles Roberts

Started by VictorRomano, June 13, 2023, 05:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Jesse on June 14, 2023, 11:57:07 AM
Don't put that nonsense on me. That was BLUEBOMBER.
whoops...apologies....it was corrected
Bomber fan for life

LXTSN

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on June 13, 2023, 10:09:43 PM
Will Ford? Are you serious :D
There's not much to choose from! Fred Reid and Harris are really the only 2 that should be on my list lol
Ford was fun for a couple years, don't judge me  ;)

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Waffler on June 13, 2023, 09:10:25 PM
Lewis
Herron
Harris
Roberts - his durability was amazing for a guy his size. Although instantly quick his top end speed was not impressive and his work ethic was questionable.  I remember him practicing in the old stadium in what appeared to be dress shoes one time. Never did know what was going on there. Just seemed downright lazy sometimes. I think of how great he could have been less so than what he did do.

Good, but not good enough based on "what if".  Wow, that's a dismissive perspective, do you judge your own accomplishments, your wife or your kids through the same critical lens? 

blue_or_die

Chad Simpson was the best Bomber RB of all time
#Ride?

DM83

Roberts was awesome, but sabotaged his career, by not taking it seriously. I can't forgive him for breaking Glenn's arm, resulting in an un proven Dinwiddie playing in the Grey Cup.

VictorRomano

Quote from: blue_or_die on June 14, 2023, 07:03:53 PM
Chad Simpson was the best Bomber RB of all time

That's a bold statement about a guy who only played 23 games as a Bomber, amassing 1910 yards on 336 carries for a 5.7YPC average and 12 TDs.....

https://www.statscrew.com/football/stats/p-simpscha001

Heck, you can watch his career highlights in under 4 minutes:
https://youtu.be/-0_e4_kDikM

blue_gold_84

Quote from: DM83 on June 14, 2023, 07:20:35 PM
Roberts was awesome, but sabotaged his career, by not taking it seriously. I can't forgive him for breaking Glenn's arm, resulting in an un proven Dinwiddie playing in the Grey Cup.

It was Kevin Eiben who broke his arm. Roberts bobbled the hand-off that resulted in the incident.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: VictorRomano on June 14, 2023, 07:22:54 PM
That's a bold statement about a guy who only played 23 games as a Bomber, amassing 1910 yards on 336 carries for a 5.7YPC average and 12 TDs.....

https://www.statscrew.com/football/stats/p-simpscha001

Heck, you can watch his career highlights in under 4 minutes:
https://youtu.be/-0_e4_kDikM
100% sure he was kidding
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

pjrocksmb

Quote from: DM83 on June 14, 2023, 07:20:35 PM
Little of this makes sense.  Yes he could have played longer but he had an amazing career and goes down as not only a Bomber great but one of the best all time CFL rbs imo.

blue_or_die

#Ride?

Jesse

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on June 14, 2023, 10:05:34 PM
100% sure he was kidding

I feel like that was meant for me. Chad Simpson was one of my favourites while he was here.
My wife is amazing!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on June 14, 2023, 02:57:31 AM
Many of you never had the chance to watch Leo play.....he was the best player Bud Grant ever coached on either side of the border.  

"17. The player Bud Grant considered to be the best he ever coached in either league was Leo Lewis who played halfback for the Blue Bombers between the years 1955 and 1966. Leo had rushed for 8861 yards with a remarkable average of 6.6 yards per carry."

Charles Robert's was arguably on of the most talented backs we ever had however he didn't win a cup along with another Bomber legend, Milt.
Leo appeared in 6 Grey Cups and won 4....a record no other Bomber RB can claim.    He only played for one team and that was the Bombers from 1955-1966, when he retired due to injury.
Andrew Harris, being a Canadian and Winnipeger has 4 Cups with 3 teams and I rank him actually ahead of Blink for that reason....he was a total team guy and sorry we lost him....
There were other good backs, including Willard Reaves, Dave Ramey and one of the most exciting ever, Mini Mack Herron....and others as well

For me it's all about winning Cups for the Bombers and that's why I rank the top 3 in this order....

Lewis
Harris
Blink

Lewis remains the Bombers all-time leader in combined rushing, passing and kickoff returns.....he averaged 6.6 yards per carry and his kick return average was just under 30 yards.   He also passed for 14 TDs.....and was asked to fill in for place kicking duties and punting.   

http://www.bluebombers.com/2016/09/14/the-leo-lewis-story/

I make no apologies for reiterating yet again, the virtues of one of the greatest Bomber players of all time and I felt this way before hearing the interview with Bud Grant (our greatest coach of all time) where he stated emphatically that Leo was just that good.....

Had Harris stayed on to complete his career with us, I might have ranked him on par with Leo, however he left in a huff something Leo would never do.    For me what makes players great isn't just their athletic ability or play making skills, but their total character, integrity and commitment to the team.   Leo displayed all of these virtues in spades.   I consider my self extremely fortunate and privileged to watch him play and to have met him in person....

I rest my case

Woof woof....from the "old dog"
Outstanding Linc and please do not be sorry. I always like a refresher in my Blue Bombers lore.

bwiser

Quote from: BLUEBOMBER on June 14, 2023, 12:36:55 AM
Oliveira clearly is not the type of running back that can win a championship for us.  Time to move on if he doesn't show up with more than what he has done so far.
HUH????

bwiser

My brother told me a funny story about Charles Roberts. My brother went to watch practice at the old stadium. My brother is walking into the stadium 5 minutes before practice and Charles Roberts goes running by him. He has his equipment on and was on the field last but on time. He was a great back but I don't know if I would have him as my top 3 running backs the Bombers have had. I do remember Leo Lewis though I was pretty young to appreciate how good he was. Willard Reaves was an excellent back and Andrew Harris was the one of the best Canadians to ever play for this franchise. I would rate all of these backs ahead of Roberts as all three I mentioned won cups with the Bombers.

GOLDMEMBER