Power Rankings

Started by theaardvark, August 03, 2023, 04:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John T.

Quote from: TBURGESS on August 06, 2023, 10:01:47 PM
Actually you're adding shades of grey that don't exist.
When you?re talking about power rankings and other such I?ll-defined terms, shades of grey is the only thing that does exist.

bunker

Some have tried to quantify it.

https://thepowerrank.com/how-computer-rankings-make-you-smarter-about-sports/

I agree there will be a variety of opinions, but I think its still useful. Its trying to account for the fact that a team's record is not the bottom line on how good they are at one point in time. For example team A starts out the season at 10-0, then loses the last 8 games including a blowout to team B. Team B starts out 0-9, then wins 9 straight games including a blowout against against team A. Team A is 10-8. Team B is 9-9, so behind team A in the standings. But most would agree that after game 18, team B is looking like the better team. An extreme example granted, but it demonstrates why a teams record is not always the bottom line. Additional issues like strength of schedule, who was playing at home, margin of victory, and injuries to key players (or getting key players back from injury) all play into it as well. I think its a useful idea, and provides for some good discussion as well.

Oh, and Bombers are clearly #1 right now, its black and white, there's no basis for argument :D

theaardvark

Quote from: bunker on August 07, 2023, 01:35:02 PM
And the final answer is in:
https://3downnation.com/2023/08/07/3downnation-cfl-power-rankings-bombers-blow-past-the-competition/

Makes sense....

1) Winnipeg Blue Bombers (3)
Don?t let their perfunctory public statements fool you, the Bombers had this week circled on their calendar since June and delivered their satisfying vengeance by putting up a 50-burger on the B.C. Lions. Their big play passing attack is back firing on all cylinders thanks to the return of Kenny Lawler, meaning this won?t be the last time Zach Collaros flirts with the 400-yard passing mark.

2) Toronto Argonauts (1)
The Argonauts looked utterly lifeless right from the jump in Week 9, suffering their first defeat of the season at the hands of the Calgary Stampeders. The bigger concern going forward is the health of several key pieces, including franchise quarterback Chad Kelly and strong-side linebacker Adarius Pickett, both of whom exited early and could be held out of action next week.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

bunker

theaardvark

Its good to see power rankings actually ranking power.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: bunker on August 07, 2023, 01:26:45 PM
Some have tried to quantify it.

https://thepowerrank.com/how-computer-rankings-make-you-smarter-about-sports/

That's cool, but it describes something that the 3down power rankings are not: computer generated.  They are voted on by 11 humans.  So clearly there's multiple types of "power rankings" around.

Of course humans can take into account what the computer is, just with more heuristics and simplifications.

Now, if we found 3down or cfl.ca describing how they define power rankings, then we'd have a basis for arguing what they mean  ;D ;D  So really we're no better off.

But hey, we're now #1, and I like arguing things, so it's all good...  ;)
Never go full Rider!

NewBlue

Lasttime we grabbed the top spot in the rankings we held onto it for a pretty long time. 
I'll be happy with keeping it right till opening week next year as the reigning champs!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: bunker on August 07, 2023, 09:24:30 PM
https://www.cfl.ca/2023/08/07/power-rankings-the-bombers-strike-back/
Seems to be a bit of a consensus emerging...

Hanging up 50 in a redemption game will do that.

I'm hopeful Thursday's victory is a sign of things to come.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

Some may have doubted the Power Rankings in the first half of the Elks game... but by the end, there is no doubt...

DM83

Argos should. Lose a couple  after their last bye week. They should be beat up. Still good enough to come out if the east, I would think.

NewBlue

Argos back on top it seems. Not sure I agree with that.

kronic

Quote from: NewBlue on August 14, 2023, 11:36:29 PM
Argos back on top it seems. Not sure I agree with that.

Argos won, we BARELY got by the worst team in the league and now, like you said about the Argos earlier in this thread, WE have an injury concern with our most important player.

Based on some people?s interpretation of power rankings in this thread, the way BC destroyed Calgary last week, we?re lucky we didn?t fall to third.

The rankings (top 3 anyways) are exactly what they should be imho.
edited at the request of the moderators

theaardvark

I give Toronto #1 this week, although they didn't win against a tough opponent, and while we had injury concern to our MOP, Dru showed how well we are set there.  Whereas Toronto is one hit on Kelly away from m'eh.

Freebird

The only issue I have is that our QB1 went down and our QB2 erased a 22 point deficit and won by 9, albeit to the 9th ranked team.

Argos QB1 went down and their QB2 couldn't score a point, resulting in a 13 point loss to the 6th ranked team.

Should "power" take into consideration of the totality of the team, and not just the starters?