Power Rankings

Started by theaardvark, August 03, 2023, 04:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

So, the Bombers are still the odds on favourite to win the GC, but are 3rd in the power rankings? 

2-5 Calgary is ahead of 3-4 SSK and HAM?

And zero Bombers in the PFF power grades this week.

On, yeah, they had a bye...

Still think EDM is ranked too high...

https://www.cfl.ca/2023/07/31/power-rankings-second-tier-up-for-grabs/
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

bunker

No way you can rank bombers ahead of Argos or Lions at this point. We'll see tonight.

Jesse

Quote from: bunker on August 03, 2023, 04:20:02 PM
No way you can rank bombers ahead of Argos or Lions at this point. We'll see tonight.

Absolutely. We're in tier 2 until we beat BC or TO.
My wife is amazing!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Jesse on August 03, 2023, 05:01:56 PM
Absolutely. We're in tier 2 until we beat BC or TO.
It is surprising to see that statement but I cannot help but agree. We win well tonight we are firmly back in the tier one.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

theaardvark

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on August 03, 2023, 05:04:29 PM
It is surprising to see that statement but I cannot help but agree. We win well tonight we are firmly back in the tier one.

Are we "tier one" with a convincing win, or are we #1?
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_or_die

Quote from: theaardvark on August 03, 2023, 06:05:33 PM

Tier 1 until the Argos lose.
#Ride?

Throw Long Bannatyne

Shake your head, a #1 team doesn't lose to Ottawa.

M.O.A.B.

power ranking doesn't matter.

John T.

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 03, 2023, 06:30:09 PM
Shake your head, a #1 team doesn't lose to Ottawa.

Well, that's nonsense. Take a look at the season results from any season where the Bombers won the Grey Cup, and they've got a game or two that they lose to terrible opponents. Two years ago it was a terrible Montreal team. In 1984 it was the last-place Stampeders. Many, many years it's been the Roughriders on Labour Day, when the Riders were at their worst.

Garbage games happen, even to the best. Better that it happens early in the season than later in the season, but the one thing we know is that they'll always happen once or twice in a season.

Pigskin

Correction. Argo's #1, Bombers #2, BC #3.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

dd

Having Kenny Lawler on the field makes us #1. He is an absolute beast out there, a man amongst boys. Don?t care what happened in the Ottawa game, Kenny puts us over the top. We ll beat the Argos and smash the Lions. We simply have too much fire power on O. Lawler, Schoen, Demski, Bailey, Woli, Olivera and McRae, turn out the lights , the party?s over, que Dandy Don merideth please!,,

theaardvark

Does a Fiftyburger mean more?

bluengold204

Quote from: theaardvark on August 04, 2023, 04:19:12 AM

No, an undefeated team will always be #1 until they get challenged.

blue_or_die

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on August 03, 2023, 07:09:07 PM
power ranking doesn't matter.

But they're fun to talk about and give us a snapshot in time. The standings are the accumulation of an entire long seasons where teams can get hot and then cool down, etc. Power rankings indicates how everyone is looking in any given week. It's for discussion even though it factors not into the game.
#Ride?

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: John T. on August 03, 2023, 10:59:47 PM
Well, that's nonsense. Take a look at the season results from any season where the Bombers won the Grey Cup, and they've got a game or two that they lose to terrible opponents. Two years ago it was a terrible Montreal team. In 1984 it was the last-place Stampeders. Many, many years it's been the Roughriders on Labour Day, when the Riders were at their worst.

Garbage games happen, even to the best. Better that it happens early in the season than later in the season, but the one thing we know is that they'll always happen once or twice in a season.

I don't think it is garbage, a weird characteristic of this team seems to be that they occasionally **** the bed and lose to the very worst teams. It's a really bad personality trait to possess.  I won't be surprised if the Argos lose a few games this season, but I'll be surprised if the teams that beat them won't be fairly capable challengers.

TBURGESS

Quote from: theaardvark on August 04, 2023, 04:19:12 AM
No more than dropping 2 shutouts on a team does.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

LXTSN

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 04, 2023, 01:47:44 PM
I don't think it is garbage, a weird characteristic of this team seems to be that they occasionally **** the bed and lose to the very worst teams. It's a really bad personality trait to possess.  I won't be surprised if the Argos lose a few games this season, but I'll be surprised if the teams that beat them won't be fairly capable challengers.
I think the win today proves that they still have the capability to flip the switch and dominate!
I'll take the team that looses occasionally to the bad teams, rather than the team that just can't quite beat the good teams.
(Of course, I'd prefer the team that just wins every game lol)

John T.

Quote from: LXTSN on August 04, 2023, 03:17:41 PM
I think the win today proves that they still have the capability to flip the switch and dominate!
I'll take the team that looses occasionally to the bad teams, rather than the team that just can't quite beat the good teams.
(Of course, I'd prefer the team that just wins every game lol)
I remember that some Winnipeg sports broadcaster, way back in the '70s - maybe Jack Wells, but I'm not sure - called it the Bozo Syndrome, and referred to both the Bombers and the Jets of that time; it was a reference to how great teams would sometimes play down to the level of their opponents, resulting in embarrassing losses to very weak opponents. To this day, that's how I think of it. The good news is that Bozo Syndrome does not usually lessen the number of championships a team wins, unless it happens in the championship game, which, to be fair, has happened to the Bombers at least twice in my memory (2001 and last year).

Still, I'd rather lose to Ottawa than to BC or Toronto. BC has lost only the the two teams that are arguably better than them, and that's no way to win championships.

theaardvark

So,

Toronto beats BC 45-24

We beat BC 50-14

And Toronto is better?

OK...

jayrock

Quote from: theaardvark on August 04, 2023, 03:59:30 PM
So,

Toronto beats BC 45-24

We beat BC 50-14

And Toronto is better?

OK...

You also lost to BC.
trying to say you are a better team, because you beat the same team by different scores just make no sense.
RIDER PRIDE ALIVE IN THE PEG

LXTSN

So,

Toronto beats BC 45-24

We beat BC 50-14

And Toronto is better?

OK...
Right now Toronto hasn't lost a game... so they're better than everyone.

theaardvark

Power rankings are not a measure of what your team is averaged over the season, or what it is going to be, but rather a measure of who is best Today.

What happened in the past, or what may happen in the future, has little bearing on the *Current* power rank.

I would suggest using results against a common team is one of the better measures. 

After this week is done, should Toronto lose, I would suggest we take spot 1.  If Toronto wins unconvincingly, I would say we have an argument for us taking #1.  If they rout CGY in CGY, sure, the can keep #1, but we are undoubtedly #2.

Quote from: LXTSN on August 04, 2023, 05:07:06 PM
Right now Toronto hasn't lost a game... so they're better than everyone.

Toronto has not beaten us.  So, no, they are not definitively better than everyone.  They are better than the teams they have proven they can beat.

blue_or_die

Quote from: theaardvark on August 04, 2023, 05:19:18 PM
Power rankings are not a measure of what your team is averaged over the season, or what it is going to be, but rather a measure of who is best Today.

What happened in the past, or what may happen in the future, has little bearing on the *Current* power rank.

I would suggest using results against a common team is one of the better measures. 

After this week is done, should Toronto lose, I would suggest we take spot 1.  If Toronto wins unconvincingly, I would say we have an argument for us taking #1.  If they rout CGY in CGY, sure, the can keep #1, but we are undoubtedly #2.

Toronto has not beaten us.  So, no, they are not definitively better than everyone.  They are better than the teams they have proven they can beat.

It's fine to question thing like "who they beat" etc, and even though the criteria is loose, it's not going to fly to have the only undefeated team ranked any lower than #1. We did usurp BC for #2 this week though.

You're right that if Toronto loses we have at the very least a very good argument for #1 but still might not get it.
#Ride?

tlf

Quote from: blue_or_die on August 04, 2023, 05:58:13 PM
It's fine to question thing like "who they beat" etc, and even though the criteria is loose, it's not going to fly to have the only undefeated team ranked any lower than #1. We did usurp BC for #2 this week though.

You're right that if Toronto loses we have at the very least a very good argument for #1 but still might not get it.

Toronto's winning percentage will still be higher, so I'd suspect they'd still get it.  6-1 vs 6-2... They have the edge by not losing that second game...IF they lost.  Big if.  Since they are playing the Stamps, I'm unsure this will be the week.  Never know though!

We play TO Sept 29th, and the Lions right after.  Fun couple of weeks!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: tlf on August 04, 2023, 06:20:49 PM
Toronto's winning percentage will still be higher, so I'd suspect they'd still get it.  6-1 vs 6-2... They have the edge by not losing that second game...IF they lost.  Big if.  Since they are playing the Stamps, I'm unsure this will be the week.  Never know though!

We play TO Sept 29th, and the Lions right after.  Fun couple of weeks!

I've lost all faith the Stamps can pull themselves up by their bootstraps and win games consistently as they've done so many times in the past, they've officially fallen on hard times and are no longer viable contenders.  I'd bet there is a coaching shakeup coming in the off-season.

LXTSN

It would be some crazy level of disrespect to have a team that's 6-0 not be ranked #1.
Or if Toronto was actually not a great team I could understand, but I think they've proven it to everyone that they can play!
They just won a championship last year and haven't lost since. What more would you need them to do?

Pigskin

Quote from: jayrock on August 04, 2023, 04:25:56 PM
You also lost to BC.
trying to say you are a better team, because you beat the same team by different scores just make no sense.

And we lost to Ottawa. In a very embarrassing way. Toronto is #1. We will see what happens in late September.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

TecnoGenius

I think it's more than that.  Power rankings should measure the "power" of a team at that moment: power being the ability to project their dominance over the near future.  As such it should have predictive power over the next stretch of games.

For example, say EDM suits up the next Tom Brady next week and they get Gino back and maybe some superstar on D.  Say that EDM goes on to win 5 games in a row, all by 25+ points, even against TOR/BC/WPG.  After that 5 games, I would put EDM at #1-#3 in the power rankings, even though they are 5-8, because they now have all the momentum and power and have no reason not to continue their run.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 04, 2023, 07:29:06 PM
I've lost all faith the Stamps can pull themselves up by their bootstraps and win games consistently as they've done so many times in the past, they've officially fallen on hard times and are no longer viable contenders.  I'd bet there is a coaching shakeup coming in the off-season.

Stamps are floundering under Dickenson  The more power Dickenson gets, the worse the team gets.  They need a new HC.

Maybe being a middling to loser team, and losing all the STHs, will wake up the org enough to finally get some movement on a new stadium.  New digs could breathe new life into the whole situation.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: LXTSN on August 04, 2023, 08:24:49 PM
It would be some crazy level of disrespect to have a team that's 6-0 not be ranked #1.
Or if Toronto was actually not a great team I could understand, but I think they've proven it to everyone that they can play!
They just won a championship last year and haven't lost since. What more would you need them to do?

I don't think TOR is the best.  Kelly is still a big question mark.  He rarely/never puts up big yards and I'm not sure he can.  He's still a pretty fresh/new QB.  He's riding a great team and amazing coaching right now.  Kind of like 2019 Nichols, who was quite good, but not the best: 2019 Nichols probably wins the cup, but he wouldn't be the main reason for it.

Kelly is at best (at this time) a VAJ: a decent placeholder game-managing a great team.  Both are susceptible to ruining games for their team.

Remember how everyone used to lose to CGY, especially in McMahon?  It was partly because everyone expected to lose to CGY.  So they were ok with it and just said "ya everyone loses to CGY in McMahon" and everyone accepted it and didn't care.  That's what TOR has at the moment.  Someone needs to start shattering that illusion, just like WPG did to BC last night.. (TOR's receivers are pretty awful; when Coxie is your best, you're vulnerable.)
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

So,

Toronto beats BC 45-24

We beat BC 50-14

And Toronto is better?

OK...

OTT beats WPG 31-28

And HAM beats OTT 21-13

Therefore HAM is better than WPG.
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

Ya, you definitely need to look at the averages.  Any Given Sunday means you can't trust the results of one game.  Now, if a team trends a certain way, or repeats a result often, then you can read something into it.
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

OK, Toronto is not undefeated.

Toronto has lost significant players.

I really think there is a case for WPG to be #1 on the power rankings after this week....

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: theaardvark on August 05, 2023, 04:40:51 AM
OK, Toronto is not undefeated.

Toronto has lost significant players.

I really think there is a case for WPG to be #1 on the power rankings after this week....
They should definitely move ahead of BC albeit I wouldn't lose any sleep over it if TO retains their #1 ranking despite losing to the 2-5 Stamps.   
What's apparent is that any team is one starting QB injury away from losing on any given day.   Most of us picked TO to win and surprise surprise....Kelly goes down relatively early in the game and their undefeated streak is over.   It's the CFL man....and really for me it's all about getting to play in the Grey Cup.   
Bomber fan for life

TBURGESS

6-1 > 6-2
Both TOR & WPG beat BC big time

Jesse

Quote from: TBURGESS on August 05, 2023, 02:14:59 PM
6-1 > 6-2
Both TOR & WPG beat BC big time

But it's power rankings, not standings.

I'd say we look much stronger than Toronto does right now.
My wife is amazing!

TBURGESS

Quote from: Jesse on August 05, 2023, 02:46:08 PM
But it's power rankings, not standings.

I'd say we look much stronger than Toronto does right now.
What makes us 'more powerful'? Beating BC? Tor did that a couple of weeks back. Losing to BC? Toronto hasn't done that. Losing to Ottawa? Toronto hasn't done that either.

Jesse

Quote from: TBURGESS on August 05, 2023, 06:06:10 PM
What makes us 'more powerful'? Beating BC? Tor did that a couple of weeks back. Losing to BC? Toronto hasn't done that. Losing to Ottawa? Toronto hasn't done that either.

Beating BC in the matter that we did while returning a bunch of guys that were injured/absent in the first meeting in the same week that Toronto lost and lost a few players to injury, yes.

If the power ranking are a snap shot into the current week and looking ahead to next week and not just copy/pasting the standings, then yes. I think we look better at this moment.
My wife is amazing!

ichabod_crane

Quote from: John T. on August 04, 2023, 03:52:43 PM
I remember that some Winnipeg sports broadcaster, way back in the '70s - maybe Jack Wells, but I'm not sure - called it the Bozo Syndrome, and referred to both the Bombers and the Jets of that time; it was a reference to how great teams would sometimes play down to the level of their opponents, resulting in embarrassing losses to very weak opponents. To this day, that's how I think of it. The good news is that Bozo Syndrome does not usually lessen the number of championships a team wins, unless it happens in the championship game, which, to be fair, has happened to the Bombers at least twice in my memory (2001 and last year).

Still, I'd rather lose to Ottawa than to BC or Toronto. BC has lost only the the two teams that are arguably better than them, and that's no way to win championships.

Pretty sure it was Jack matheson that coined the BOZO syndrome monicker. Cactus created many of his own too. Catch and jammer kids (Paul Bennett and Rick house). Still miss the happy honker award! ?Twas a golden age with that post game analysis crew in the 80?s!

bunker

Quote from: ichabod_crane on August 05, 2023, 07:16:49 PM

Pretty sure it was Jack matheson that coined the BOZO syndrome monicker. Cactus created many of his own too. Catch and jammer kids (Paul Bennett and Rick house). Still miss the happy honker award! ?Twas a golden age with that post game analysis crew in the 80?s!
And don't forget Mitch Zalnasky with the stats, lol. Agree that was a fun post game. Many memories of driving back from the game with everyone honking all at once. Probably a law against it now. Wells was a real character.

I don't really put much stock in power rankings, but if you're going to use it the way its intended, as a snap shot of who's riding high and who's in the gutter, I think the bombers have to be considered #1 right now, given their dominant win over a good team, and Toronto's loss of not only their game to Calgary, but one of their best defensive players and their #1 QB. If Kelly gets healthy and they start looking dominant again, then of course its subject to change, but this week, Bombers reign.

theaardvark

Quote from: TBURGESS on August 05, 2023, 06:06:10 PM

Beating Calgary?  Toronto hasn't done that...  Hanging a fiftyburger on BC? 

Power rankings are *today*.  Today, we are on a winning streak, Toronto is on a losing streak.

We have a 3 deep QB corps that are all healthy and capable of starting a CFL game.  Toronto has 1 good QB who missed the second half of their last game, and Cameron Dukes and Scott Bryan.

Sure, I have a bias.  But as far as power, today, we are ahead of BC, no doubt, and I think we are better than Toronto.

TBURGESS

Power rankings aren't a snapshot in time, nor are they today. They are supposed to show how good each team is overall.

We had a great game. We beat the #2 team to become the #2 team. We played our first full game of the season. Overall, we've lost more games than Toronto & we've only dominated one game this year.

Jesse

Quote from: TBURGESS on August 06, 2023, 02:29:29 PM
Power rankings aren't a snapshot in time, nor are they today. They are supposed to show how good each team is overall.

We had a great game. We beat the #2 team to become the #2 team. We played our first full game of the season. Overall, we've lost more games than Toronto & we've only dominated one game this year.

Well. I disagree with most of this.
My wife is amazing!

theaardvark

Quote from: TBURGESS on August 06, 2023, 02:29:29 PM

We beat the number 2 team, the number 1 team lost embarrassingly to the number 8 team, and not only did they lose the game, they lost more players, including possibly the best players on O and D, whereas we've gained back some top players.

So, if we go and beat up on the #9 team, and they lose to the #5 team, are we #1?   Or, because they got to 6 first, do they stay #1?

Power rankings are the ranking *today*.  Standings are the ranking of the team over the season.

If they are "how good is the team overall", then there is no doubt who is #1.  Us.  Especially of Kelly his the 1 game or 6 game...

BBRT

Quote from: Jesse on August 06, 2023, 02:47:22 PM
Well. I disagree with most of this.

I guess we can all agree to dis-agree on this one. I am with TB on this one. I think Ards just has his blue glasses on too tight with his analysis. IMHO and it is only my opinion Toronto should be listed as first and the Bombers second for now. However things do change and really the Power ratings have zero value other than a discussion point.

NewBlue

There hasn't been a change to the top 3 for 6 weeks (Tor/BC/WPG)
I think it all gets swapped now.
WPG claims top spot, Tor falls 1 to 2nd, BC falls to 3rd
Then Monteal & Calgary in the next tier.  Whoever wins todays game can join the back of that tier.

Blue In BC

Quote from: BBRT on August 06, 2023, 03:40:48 PM
I guess we can all agree to dis-agree on this one. I am with TB on this one. I think Ards just has his blue glasses on too tight with his analysis. IMHO and it is only my opinion Toronto should be listed as first and the Bombers second for now. However things do change and really the Power ratings have zero value other than a discussion point.

+1
2019 Grey Cup Champions

dd

Based on performances delivered in this weeks games, Bombers clearly #1, Argos laid an egg against the Stamps and BC without the good VA is a distant 3rd

TBURGESS

Based purely on this weeks performances, Calgary should be #1 because they beat undefeated Toronto.

bunker

Quote from: TBURGESS on August 06, 2023, 06:30:13 PM
Based purely on this weeks performances, Calgary should be #1 because they beat undefeated Toronto.
They weren't impressive in that victory, and Toronto was missing their most impactful player on offense, and arguably their 2 most impactful players on defense for most of the game due to injuries, so I don't buy it. Winnipeg is clearly number one.

theaardvark

Quote from: TBURGESS on August 06, 2023, 06:30:13 PM

Calgary squeaked past an injured Toronto team.

We freaking destroyed and humiliated what was the #1 team in our division...

But sure, what you said.

TBURGESS

Quote from: theaardvark on August 06, 2023, 07:33:36 PM
Calgary squeaked past an injured Toronto team.

We freaking destroyed and humiliated what was the #1 team in our division...

But sure, what you said.
Then why wasn't BC #1 when they destroyed us earlier in the year? Because it's not about a single game or a single opponent.

Jesse

Quote from: TBURGESS on August 06, 2023, 08:49:02 PM
Then why wasn't BC #1 when they destroyed us earlier in the year? Because it's not about a single game or a single opponent.

They easily could have been.

Once again, you're trying to make things black and white like these things are calculated in a simple computing matrix where n=1.

There are shades of grey and people making the decisions and they'll weigh different things differently at different points in time.
My wife is amazing!

TBURGESS

Quote from: Jesse on August 06, 2023, 09:16:41 PM
They easily could have been.

Once again, you're trying to make things black and white like these things are calculated in a simple computing matrix where n=1.

There are shades of grey and people making the decisions and they'll weigh different things differently at different points in time.
Actually you're adding shades of grey that don't exist.

NewBlue

Quote from: TBURGESS on August 06, 2023, 08:49:02 PM

It is when the 3 teams are so close to each other, and 2 of them lose in the same weekend.
I do think had Tor won they would have stayed in 1st, but they didn't and now there's injury questions there.

Jesse

Quote from: TBURGESS on August 06, 2023, 10:01:47 PM

There?s no definition of what power ranking mean, bud. You ask 5 different people, you?re going to get 5 different versions.
My wife is amazing!

pjrocksmb

We are back to the cream of the crop and my bet is we stay there.  Sask will be tough though to win back to back.

dd

Quote from: NewBlue on August 06, 2023, 10:43:44 PM
It is when the 3 teams are so close to each other, and 2 of them lose in the same weekend.
I do think had Tor won they would have stayed in 1st, but they didn't and now there's injury questions there.
I think injuries have got to factor into things. Kelly is hurt and Toronto lost, adams is hurt and the lions got creamed. Pretty obvious that bombers are #1 and if they stay healthy they will not look back. O line playing lights out, too many weapons offensively and defensively we re as good as any D and better than most

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on August 06, 2023, 11:00:32 PM
There?s no definition of what power ranking mean, bud. You ask 5 different people, you?re going to get 5 different versions.

This.  Can't argue who has the most "power rank" when "power rank" isn't defined anywhere.  First everyone decide on a definition (I tried to give one earlier), then argue who has the most "power"!

Otherwise it's just a case of "I can pee farther than you can".  ;)
Never go full Rider!

kronic

1.Toronto
2.Winnipeg
3.BC
4-8
9.Edmonton

Because 1-3 is all we care about and Edmonton is obvious.
edited at the request of the moderators

John T.

Quote from: TBURGESS on August 06, 2023, 10:01:47 PM
When you?re talking about power rankings and other such I?ll-defined terms, shades of grey is the only thing that does exist.

bunker

Some have tried to quantify it.

https://thepowerrank.com/how-computer-rankings-make-you-smarter-about-sports/

I agree there will be a variety of opinions, but I think its still useful. Its trying to account for the fact that a team's record is not the bottom line on how good they are at one point in time. For example team A starts out the season at 10-0, then loses the last 8 games including a blowout to team B. Team B starts out 0-9, then wins 9 straight games including a blowout against against team A. Team A is 10-8. Team B is 9-9, so behind team A in the standings. But most would agree that after game 18, team B is looking like the better team. An extreme example granted, but it demonstrates why a teams record is not always the bottom line. Additional issues like strength of schedule, who was playing at home, margin of victory, and injuries to key players (or getting key players back from injury) all play into it as well. I think its a useful idea, and provides for some good discussion as well.

Oh, and Bombers are clearly #1 right now, its black and white, there's no basis for argument :D

theaardvark

Quote from: bunker on August 07, 2023, 01:35:02 PM
And the final answer is in:
https://3downnation.com/2023/08/07/3downnation-cfl-power-rankings-bombers-blow-past-the-competition/

Makes sense....

1) Winnipeg Blue Bombers (3)
Don?t let their perfunctory public statements fool you, the Bombers had this week circled on their calendar since June and delivered their satisfying vengeance by putting up a 50-burger on the B.C. Lions. Their big play passing attack is back firing on all cylinders thanks to the return of Kenny Lawler, meaning this won?t be the last time Zach Collaros flirts with the 400-yard passing mark.

2) Toronto Argonauts (1)
The Argonauts looked utterly lifeless right from the jump in Week 9, suffering their first defeat of the season at the hands of the Calgary Stampeders. The bigger concern going forward is the health of several key pieces, including franchise quarterback Chad Kelly and strong-side linebacker Adarius Pickett, both of whom exited early and could be held out of action next week.

bunker

theaardvark

Its good to see power rankings actually ranking power.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: bunker on August 07, 2023, 01:26:45 PM
Some have tried to quantify it.

https://thepowerrank.com/how-computer-rankings-make-you-smarter-about-sports/

That's cool, but it describes something that the 3down power rankings are not: computer generated.  They are voted on by 11 humans.  So clearly there's multiple types of "power rankings" around.

Of course humans can take into account what the computer is, just with more heuristics and simplifications.

Now, if we found 3down or cfl.ca describing how they define power rankings, then we'd have a basis for arguing what they mean  ;D ;D  So really we're no better off.

But hey, we're now #1, and I like arguing things, so it's all good...  ;)
Never go full Rider!

NewBlue

Lasttime we grabbed the top spot in the rankings we held onto it for a pretty long time. 
I'll be happy with keeping it right till opening week next year as the reigning champs!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: bunker on August 07, 2023, 09:24:30 PM
https://www.cfl.ca/2023/08/07/power-rankings-the-bombers-strike-back/
Seems to be a bit of a consensus emerging...

Hanging up 50 in a redemption game will do that.

I'm hopeful Thursday's victory is a sign of things to come.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

Some may have doubted the Power Rankings in the first half of the Elks game... but by the end, there is no doubt...

DM83

Argos should. Lose a couple  after their last bye week. They should be beat up. Still good enough to come out if the east, I would think.

NewBlue

Argos back on top it seems. Not sure I agree with that.

kronic

Quote from: NewBlue on August 14, 2023, 11:36:29 PM
Argos back on top it seems. Not sure I agree with that.

Argos won, we BARELY got by the worst team in the league and now, like you said about the Argos earlier in this thread, WE have an injury concern with our most important player.

Based on some people?s interpretation of power rankings in this thread, the way BC destroyed Calgary last week, we?re lucky we didn?t fall to third.

The rankings (top 3 anyways) are exactly what they should be imho.
edited at the request of the moderators

theaardvark

I give Toronto #1 this week, although they didn't win against a tough opponent, and while we had injury concern to our MOP, Dru showed how well we are set there.  Whereas Toronto is one hit on Kelly away from m'eh.

Freebird

The only issue I have is that our QB1 went down and our QB2 erased a 22 point deficit and won by 9, albeit to the 9th ranked team.

Argos QB1 went down and their QB2 couldn't score a point, resulting in a 13 point loss to the 6th ranked team.

Should "power" take into consideration of the totality of the team, and not just the starters?

NewBlue

Quote from: kronic on August 14, 2023, 11:48:42 PM
Argos won, we BARELY got by the worst team in the league and now, like you said about the Argos earlier in this thread, WE have an injury concern with our most important player.

Based on some people?s interpretation of power rankings in this thread, the way BC destroyed Calgary last week, we?re lucky we didn?t fall to third.

The rankings (top 3 anyways) are exactly what they should be imho.

I dunno - both WPG & TOR had to make a comeback in the 2nd half. Both won.
Yes we have an injury concern to ZC, but I'll take our backup over theirs anyday.

I just feel the only way a team should drop is by losing.  Like both BC & Tor recently did.

theaardvark

Quote from: NewBlue on August 15, 2023, 12:26:42 AM
I dunno - both WPG & TOR had to make a comeback in the 2nd half. Both won.
Yes we have an injury concern to ZC, but I'll take our backup over theirs anyday.

I just feel the only way a team should drop is by losing.  Like both BC & Tor recently did.

He was saying we took over first because Toronto lost a game and potentially their QB... we just potentially lost our QB.  It was more the QB loss than the game loss that affected the perception of "power".  Toronto's backup played horribly, making them "less powerful".  OUr backup played brilliantly, came back from a 22 point deficit to win walking away.  Much more "powerful".

DM83

These weekly power rankings are fun to play with, based on. Misinformation.  I mean does Winnipeg get bumped to third?

I can?t wrap my head around bCs. qB as legit.  (Based on 5 ints. a game, very nervous vs. a good team)

He is a great back up.

Chad Kelly and Zac look like the best.  How ever. Zac has Had nervous feet the last few months. Therefore Kelly looks like the best, and with an awesome defense, they are Number 1 in my eye.

If I had to pick,
Toronto.  How will they be after ten games and no bye?
Winnipeg - how will they be without Zac?
BC- again can they keep Vernon healthy enough to play?
Montreal.- keep their QB healthy.

The others are a toss up.  All getting better, but coaching will determine the success of what seem to be inexperienced QBs, and disappointing skill position players. Should be a changed second half, with improvements coming from four of those teams.

Lincoln Locomotive

Chad Kelly threw for over 400 yards....he hasn't lost a game unless he gets charged for the loss against Calgary when he left the game early?    Zach has had 3 pick sixes with that last one taking the cake.....he has had some stellar games like the win against BC and early in the season....however he hasn't been as consistent as we'd like despite his stats....Kelly also has a higher QB rating of 120 vs 114 for Zach.    Kelly has played 1 less game and has 5 picks vs. 6 for Zach.    The 3 pick sixes for Zach are concerning though.
At the moment if you extrapolate ypg, Kelly would be number 1 in the CFL.....pretty darn good for his first year, I'd say!
Bomber fan for life

TBURGESS

If I was picking this week:

Toronto - Only 1 loss team left.
BC - Destroyed Wpg & got destroyed by Wpg. Got their starting QB back and beat a better team than we did this week.
Wpg - Lost our starting QB & only beat Edm by 9.
Mtl - Won 3 in a row.
Cgy - Close in most games.
Ott - Close in most games.
Skn - Who is the QB?
Ham - Coming off the bye to play the Elks
Edm - I'd put them even lower if I could.

Stretch

Quote from: TBURGESS on August 16, 2023, 12:04:56 AM

I agree with your list except for your rationale here. Remember that we spotted them a 22 point lead not long into the 2nd quarter before out scoring them 38-7. Based on that an argument could be made to put the Bombers at #2 and BC at #3.
Money is no object...especially when you have none.

GOLDMEMBER

BC - Destroyed Wpg & got destroyed by Wpg. Got their starting QB back and beat a better team than we did this week.
Mtl - Won 3 in a row.
Skn - Who is the QB?
Typical TBurg LOL
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

blue_or_die

Mtl - Won 3 in a row.
Skn - Who is the QB?

That was like 2 months ago lol
#Ride?

Sir Blue and Gold

I'm surprised TBurg didn't try to put us under Edmonton. For what it's worth, I'd go:

Toronto
Winnipeg
BC
Montreal
Ottawa
Saskatchewan
Calgary
Hamilton
Edmonton

Realistically 1 through 3 could be shuffled. Montreal is pretty much 4. Edmonton is last. The others probably blow with the wind any given week. The Riders will probably fall more given their QB situation but I always think you should see it first. They likely end the year 7th or 8th.

dd

1st tier- Winnipeg, BC, Toronto

2nd tier-Montreal, Ottawa , Calgary

3rd tier- Hamilton, Saskatchewan, Edmonton

Anyone of 1st their teams could win GC. 2nd tier team may pose a challenge along the way. 3rd tier doesn?t make playoffs