Jefferson is back

Started by bwiser, December 04, 2023, 09:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blueforlife

We have to keep Bailey he does much and isn't that expensive, that said the math doesn't add up LOL

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blueforlife on December 15, 2023, 05:51:42 PM
We have to keep Bailey he does much and isn't that expensive, that said the math doesn't add up LOL

Agree, won't find another receiver in the league willing to do so much dirty work for such good value.  In addition every year he seems to make a few highlight reel plays that demonstrate how dangerous he can be once he gets the ball in his hands.  No reason on earth to cast him aside.  I don't like it, but accept losing Schoen so deserving players like Bailey can get an honest bump. 

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Pete on December 13, 2023, 05:17:51 PM
I agree under the current structure but Is that right about Demski ? He made 175 k ly and due a bump this year but I thought it was more like 190k

I could see us renegotiating Lawler to look as follows;
Bottom line:
250 Kenny
195 Demsk
Bailey we replace with rookie at 85k
120 Woli
200 Schoen
=850k
other than this I dont see us retaining both Lawler and Schoen

I would anticipate our receivers to be something like this:
295 Lawler
200 Demski
150 Bailey
70 Alston
130 Wolitarsky
80 O'Leary Orange

Realistically, you can't have everything. I don't think it's possible to spend ~1/5 of the salary cap on receivers (like some have suggested) while also spending top dollar on a QB. Collaros made some comments during the season that we've got to find a way to keep Schoen. Well, the only way to do that is if he wants to subsidize it by taking a fairly healthy pay cut. It's also really hard to go back to Lawler and ask him to take another pay cut after we told him to take one last season.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on December 18, 2023, 01:50:51 PM
295 Lawler
200 Demski
150 Bailey
70 Alston
130 Wolitarsky
80 O'Leary Orange

Realistically, you can't have everything. I don't think it's possible to spend ~1/5 of the salary cap on receivers (like some have suggested) while also spending top dollar on a QB. Collaros made some comments during the season that we've got to find a way to keep Schoen. Well, the only way to do that is if he wants to subsidize it by taking a fairly healthy pay cut. It's also really hard to go back to Lawler and ask him to take another pay cut after we told him to take one last season.

Do you think that's where they are currently or where they will be if they sign new contracts? Bailey, Woli and BOO are all potential free agents.  Hopefully we get all of them back but getting Schoen back as well will take some creative math.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on December 18, 2023, 02:53:33 PM
Do you think that's where they are currently or where they will be if they sign new contracts? Bailey, Woli and BOO are all potential free agents.  Hopefully we get all of them back but getting Schoen back as well will take some creative math.

I think that's where they might be for those three on one year deals in 2024.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on December 18, 2023, 02:58:41 PM
I think that's where they might be for those three on one year deals in 2024.

I think remaining with the Bombers for those 3 is a decision they will make. It's stability for them and playing as part of the Bomber offence with Collaros and Pierce as the OC gives them the opportunity to be productive. The difference of some extra money elsewhere doesn't always work out for players when they change teams.

Now whether that equates to a home team discount is hard to tell but IMO it does have an impact.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on December 18, 2023, 01:50:51 PM
295 Lawler
200 Demski
150 Bailey
70 Alston
130 Wolitarsky
80 O'Leary Orange

Unless BOLO can't find another option, I don't see him returning for another year, O'Shea choosing to use 3 injured receivers over him in the playoffs must have tried his patience and been pretty discouraging.  With his father being a former pro player, I'd guess he's getting plenty of advice from that front.

Jesse

My wife is amazing!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 18, 2023, 04:06:38 PM
Unless BOLO can't find another option, I don't see him returning for another year, O'Shea choosing to use 3 injured receivers over him in the playoffs must have tried his patience and be pretty discouraging.  With his father being a former pro player, I'd guess he's getting plenty of advice from that front.

What? O'Leary Orange started the West Final and had two catches on two targets. To put that in perspective Wolitarksy had one target and Bailey had two. In the Grey Cup he played behind Schoen or he probably would have started again. Don't think he or anyone else would have had very hard feelings about letting Schoen start over him. Agree that he hasn't been called on much but starting the West Final seems fairly respectful to me.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on December 18, 2023, 04:51:27 PM
What? O'Leary Orange started the West Final and had two catches on two targets. To put that in perspective Wolitarksy had one target and Bailey had two. In the Grey Cup he played behind Schoen or he probably would have started again. Don't think he or anyone else would have had very hard feelings about letting Schoen start over him. Agree that he hasn't been called on much but starting the West Final seems fairly respectful to me.

He has been here long enough that he could have subbed for Demski, Schoen or Bailey at anytime, the fact he got no reps. in the GC when 2 of the 3 were performing well below their capabilities and underachieved (as could be expected) in a losing effort, burns.  You think he should be happy biding his time in obscurity?  Even if Schoen leaves, it's unlikely he will get an opportunity to start next year.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 18, 2023, 05:30:43 PM
He has been here long enough that he could have subbed for Demski, Schoen or Bailey at anytime, the fact he got no reps. in the GC when 2 of the 3 were performing well below their capabilities and underachieved (as could be expected) in a losing effort, burns.  You think he should be happy biding his time in obscurity?  Even if Schoen leaves, it's unlikely he will get an opportunity to start next year.

What a baffling narrative.

In 30 regular season games with this team, he's done next to nothing to demonstrate he should be ahead of those three receivers you listed, much less in a playoff game. What could he have done any differently in the GC?

He's a depth asset right now for a reason.
#forthew
лава Україні!
What a wretched timeline.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on December 18, 2023, 07:03:40 PM
What a baffling narrative.

In 30 regular season games with this team, he's done next to nothing to demonstrate he should be ahead of those three receivers you listed, much less in a playoff game. What could he have done any differently in the GC?

He's a depth asset right now for a reason.

Comes back to the decision to dress Bailey with a torn hamstring muscle and Schoen who hadn't stepped foot on the practice field in 6 weeks and was surprised to be playing.  For most of the 30 games he has dressed BOLO has not taken any reps. so that stat. is misleading, in total he's participated in 13 games over two seasons mostly on a limited basis. 

What's the reason to have depth if you don't intend to use it?  According to O'Shea "they're all starters".

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
What a wretched timeline.

dd

I always thought O Leary Orange played well when he played. Don't look at the bottom end of our roster when looking at why we lost the Grey Cup, look at the top end. While Fajardo and Mack were making big plays to win the game, our high priced combo of Collaros and Lawler were throwing interceptions. Simple as that, their big time players made plays to win it, ours didn't. Makes for a long off season.