Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at Edmonton, May 27, 2023

Started by ModAdmin, May 26, 2023, 04:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

I agree that Caleb Thomas and Aaron Sterling made an initial impression. It looked like Thomas played a lot. Sterling didn't seem to play as much but when I noticed him he seemed to make an impact.

I liked what I saw from receiver Murphy. He's in tough to make the AR. O-Leary-Orange is the back up at the moment. So Murphy will have to bide his time on the PR. Could be a good one in the future though.

Considering this was the Bombers 1st game and the Elks 2nd game, we did reasonably well. Giving up 450 yards on defence needs to be addressed. No Jake Thomas in the middle and Walker didn't play much so we'll see what happens next game.

Holms may have locked up a starting role in the secondary. Who gets bumped is up in the air. Injuries, SMS and contract length might come into play.

Not sure what to think of Damian Jackson. Nice story and some versatility. I think his skill at DE will be the most critical judgment to become a DI.  I expect he could end up on the PR as insurance? Ratio works against him for the most part.

None of the rookie import receivers made an impression. Agudosi only had one pass thrown to him and it was not a great pass. The rookies are headed to PR at best since our starting receivers are excellent.

Game plan didn't feature the run much and when we did run it was bad. No idea who the best import RB might be.

Generally I'd say that I don't think we played that well as a whole. It was understandable being on the road, 1st time with tackling and hitting. So many rookies in and out of the game.  What I find interesting about the Bombers is that even when they don't play " well ", they find ways to win and let the other team find ways to lose.

Very disciplined and very well coached. They rise to any adversity with a shrug. All signs of what winning teams do.

I don't think we have to make any cuts before the final cuts, but did any rookie play himself off the team? Nothing says we can't drop a couple of guys and bring in a couple of new ones.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

TBURGESS

Preseason game so nothing matters.
The 70 yarder to Lawler and the 70 yard run by Pigrome was more than half our total offense.
Our defense was pushed around for most of the game. Our DL was getting pushed back and our LB's weren't getting off their blocks.
Our returners were scary and not in a good way.
Edmonton only allowed us 2 offensive plays in the 3rd quarter & beat us in almost every stat category except the final score.
Edmonton wins their first home game since 2019 if they didn't cut Castillo.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Waffler

Quote from: TBURGESS on May 28, 2023, 02:33:52 PM
Edmonton only allowed us 2 offensive plays in the 3rd quarter & beat us in almost every stat category except the final score.

Their backups looked sharper due to it being their 2nd game and our first. No Bighill yet either. Four quarters of Collaros and the game is not close so I am still happy enough.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Pigskin

I wasn't impressed with our D. But, it was the first game for the Bombers. I am going to wait and see what we look like with AB4, JJ94, JT95, also Mr. Hansen and Wilson will help when they get back. CFL cuts might help us with DT problems.  

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

As suggested I wouldn't mind taking a look at Davon Coleman either if his SMS hit is not nuts. Obviously our defensive front 7 didn't look good. Live it appeared many players " missed " assignments and tackling was poor overall. Lost contain on a regular basis and the middle of the defence was very soft.

OTOH, we didn't really get burned as much in the secondary regardless of who was on the field or where.

Now it's a little early to think the rookie DL players won't improve quickly. Film review by coaches will make some of those determinations.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on May 27, 2023, 10:31:00 PM
Hard to tell 100% but I don't see how Legghio makes this team.

He could start the season on the 1 game... you cannot undervalue a very strong backup.  Or as the (P) with one of the Globals on the PR...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pigskin

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 28, 2023, 03:12:48 PM
As suggested I wouldn't mind taking a look at Davon Coleman either if his SMS hit is not nuts. Obviously our defensive front 7 didn't look good. Live it appeared many players " missed " assignments and tackling was poor overall. Lost contain on a regular basis and the middle of the defence was very soft.

OTOH, we didn't really get burned as much in the secondary regardless of who was on the field or where.

Now it's a little early to think the rookie DL players won't improve quickly. Film review by coaches will make some of those determinations.

Signed a one year deal with Ottawa.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on May 28, 2023, 03:14:39 PM
Signed a one year deal with Ottawa.

Haven't heard that and he doesn't show on their roster?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on May 28, 2023, 01:29:17 PM
Would love to see highlights of Piggy's 17-yard loss, 33-yard 2nd down throw and 45-yard ran TD.

It was hilarious watching the replay. I don't think the announcers knew he still had the ball. For that matter I don't think the Elks knew either. It almost seemed as though half the players thought the play was over.

In any case, that play alone will be something opponents will have to be aware of during the season. What is Pigrome's actual speed? He looked fast.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Lincoln Locomotive

Listening to Doug Brown on OB post game show he mentioned that the Bombers still have not adequately replaced Stove Richardson who was a veritable force for us and really helped our D stop the run.    Losing Sayles  was not going to help either and he was no Stove tbh.....Walker is adequate but not that effective stopping the run either....he hasn't impressed DB who doe's understand the position more than any of us on this forum.   If the Bombers aren't able to recruit a better replacement then teams will establish the run game on us which then puts our secondary at risk to be exploited.    Maybe we will have to rely on our offence to simply outscore opponents....however that doesn't always work in a Western final or a Grey Cup game. 
Bombers need to address this impactful position if they want to win a 3rd Cup in 4 tries.....you have to be able to stop or at the very least, limit the run games of your opponents
Bomber fan for life

Blue In BC

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on May 28, 2023, 03:43:10 PM
Listening to Doug Brown on OB post game show he mentioned that the Bombers still have not adequately replaced Stove Richardson who was a veritable force for us and really helped our D stop the run.    Losing Sayles  was not going to help either and he was no Stove tbh.....Walker is adequate but not that effective stopping the run either....he hasn't impressed DB who doe's understand the position more than any of us on this forum.   If the Bombers aren't able to recruit a better replacement then teams will establish the run game on us which then puts our secondary at risk to be exploited.    Maybe we will have to rely on our offence to simply outscore opponents....however that doesn't always work in a Western final or a Grey Cup game. 
Bombers need to address this impactful position if they want to win a 3rd Cup in 4 tries.....you have to be able to stop or at the very least, limit the run games of your opponents

That was a concern going into TC. Not many import DT's in the early going. A couple more signed later but both the starting import DT and possible DI are in question.

Last night our LB's didn't help the situation either. Losing contain or getting caught in the wash out of place.  Bighill would have prevented a lot of the big gains.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 28, 2023, 03:21:35 PM
It was hilarious watching the replay. I don't think the announcers knew he still had the ball. For that matter I don't think the Elks knew either. It almost seemed as though half the players thought the play was over.

In any case, that play alone will be something opponents will have to be aware of during the season. What is Pigrome's actual speed? He looked fast.
DT on CJOB radio commented on his speed and MOS commented about his effortless running at TC.    I listened to the game on internet radio so didn't watch it for myself.    The 17 yard loss was just one of several  errant snaps and he was only concerned about protecting the ball when he ran back to recover it and likely had more time to maybe do something with it than he realized.   However on 2nd and 27 he converts the first down and then runs it in on the next play.    A fairly auspicious start for him and likely will go along way to earning a number 3 position at QB.    He's not a bulldozer like Strev though and isn't that big according to DT and DB.    Sometimes the short yardage call is a simple push off tackle and i'm not sure how effective he will be in those situations, where size and strength really do matter.
Bomber fan for life

Pigskin

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 28, 2023, 03:18:26 PM
Haven't heard that and he doesn't show on their roster?

Apparently signed April 13, 2023 for one season.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on May 28, 2023, 04:06:12 PM
Apparently signed April 13, 2023 for one season.

Yes, but:

2023-05-13   OTT   COLEMAN, Davon   DL   A   Arizona State   Delete From Active   Free Agent
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

Maybe he has a injury, or decided to retire. I think if he is out there and healthy, the Bombers would at least be having a conversation with him. 

Really like Edmonton's RB Brooks. Kid looked very good. Would like to find an American RB like that.