(Unofficial) Kenny Lawler signs with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Started by Blue In BC, February 07, 2023, 02:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Bombers in the mix trying to sign Kenny Lawler. He wants $1M over 3 years!!!  I wonder what other teams are even considering him and that kind of money? Does he realize there are only 9 teams in the CFL? If the Elks are out of the picture, he'd down to 8.

I'd like him back but wow.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

3rdand1.5

1m over 3 years that's steep, really steep, I would love him back here but.....

Pigskin

Quote from: Blue In BC on February 07, 2023, 02:26:05 PM
Bombers in the mix trying to sign Kenny Lawler. He wants $1M over 3 years!!!  I wonder what other teams are even considering him and that kind of money? Does he realize there are only 9 teams in the CFL? If the Elks are out of the picture, he'd down to 8.

I'd like him back but wow.

Good luck with that. At $1M over 3 years, I can't see us in the mix.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Jesse

Quote from: Pigskin on February 07, 2023, 02:45:19 PM
Good luck with that. At $1M over 3 years, I can't see us in the mix.

Well, we are in the mix. That's clearly out of the question for any team.

He's not getting a raise from last year. So automatically you have to think the best anyone would reach is 275. How much lower can we get him if we offer three years and guaranteed play-off money?
My wife is amazing!

theaardvark

I'd go $600k for 3 years, max.  Max guaranteed in years 2 and 3...

That is the max any non QB player in this league should be paid.  Regardless ratio or numbers. 

Don't get me wrong, Lawler is a top receiver in the league, and any team that gets him will be improving with his presence, but the difference of $133k is enough to make a team weaker at a number of positions.  His injury last year also brings that question to the table.  2 consecutive years without a complete season... guaranteed money is a risk...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

bunker

Quote from: theaardvark on February 07, 2023, 04:00:41 PM
I'd go $600k for 3 years, max.  Max guaranteed in years 2 and 3...

That is the max any non QB player in this league should be paid.  Regardless ratio or numbers. 

Don't get me wrong, Lawler is a top receiver in the league, and any team that gets him will be improving with his presence, but the difference of $133k is enough to make a team weaker at a number of positions.  His injury last year also brings that question to the table.  2 consecutive years without a complete season... guaranteed money is a risk...
He's not eligible for guaranteed money. From 3 downation:
"He is ineligible to receive guaranteed money from any team on his next contract as he has not spent the past two years with the same club."

I am not sure I would go much beyond 200-225,000 per year either. Maybe 250,000 in a stretch if Walters thinks he can fit it under the cap. He's a great receiver, and I'd love to have him back, but he missed alot of games last year, and we might get more value out of some of the other FA receivers. I think he will go to the highest bidder, and it won't be the bombers.

Horseman

Sorry, pass on the 1M for 3 years. Sask might take him up on it though.

Pete

Hard pass at anything over 225k. Lets look at dunbar or white from mitrl or hamilton. Sask just put in an offer for Wienike. So they are unlikely for lawler Only team i can see even approaching 300 is edmonton
I only hope we dont get fixated on lawler and end up missing out on another good reciever, in past years it has been burnham that we tried to get then ended up with whoever is available at the end

Throw Long Bannatyne

Not interested in Lawler and hope Walters doesn't seriously pursue him as he's priced himself over market.  In his best season he caught 64 receptions for a CFL-leading 1,014 yards and six touchdowns in 13 regular season games in 2021.  I'd rather they roll with the receivers they had last year who are coming back and fill any gaps with new/cheaper blood to better manage the budget.

Blue In BC

It seems we're negotiating with Lawler but I didn't get the impression we've made an actual offer that we have to stick to. It's interesting that we have that kind of money available to spend somewhere.

Note: Ellingson was $165K and Bailey was $138K+ $303K in 2022.

Lawler@ $250K + Agudosi @ $75K = $325K

Now I don't know that Lawler will accept $250K or less but I can see how this could work in our SMS if we choose that route.  I wouldn't but obviously the team is talking with his agent and that can't hurt.

I think I agree that anything over $225K is too much and could be spent on beefing up our DT's.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Jesse on February 07, 2023, 02:49:17 PM
Well, we are in the mix. That's clearly out of the question for any team.

He's not getting a raise from last year. So automatically you have to think the best anyone would reach is 275. How much lower can we get him if we offer three years and guaranteed play-off money?

If $250-270K per can be negotiated, the Bombers could probably make it work. No sense blowing the bank at the cost of roster stability.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

TBURGESS

I don't see how we can afford Lawler @ 330K/year. That would mean we're spending 930K on two players, Collaros and Lawler, when the SMS is 5.51 Mill.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TBURGESS on February 07, 2023, 04:55:00 PM
I don't see how we can afford Lawler @ 330K/year. That would mean we're spending 930K on two players, Collaros and Lawler, when the SMS is 5.51 Mill.

Ultimately seems selfish, if he gets his money hopefully he ends up on a team that misses the playoffs again.

Pete

I have a lot of faith that Walter will make the right decision. You would think that other teams would have learned by now that investing in one reciever so heavily  makes little sense. The top three paid recievers last year Lawler Williams abd whitehead all didnt meet expectations and all were injured . Bexause they are heavily targeted and defended the possibility for injury is high, \the same happened to Eliingson after a strong first half

the paw

I think you have to be prepared to pay $250k to even have a chance at Lawler.  If you don't mind losing Bailey, maybe $275k.

Paying any one receiver that much is a bit of a gamble though.  If we can't land Lawler near $250k, I would be happy if they took a run at Dunbar.
grab grass 'n growl

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: the paw on February 07, 2023, 05:42:58 PM
I think you have to be prepared to pay $250k to even have a chance at Lawler.  If you don't mind losing Bailey, maybe $275k.

Paying any one receiver that much is a bit of a gamble though.  If we can't land Lawler near $250k, I would be happy if they took a run at Dunbar.

Better yet, sign Sheed for $140K, he works harder and is more durable.

Pigskin

Quote from: Blue In BC on February 07, 2023, 04:42:34 PM
It seems we're negotiating with Lawler but I didn't get the impression we've made an actual offer that we have to stick to. It's interesting that we have that kind of money available to spend somewhere.

Note: Ellingson was $165K and Bailey was $138K+ $303K in 2022.

Lawler@ $250K + Agudosi @ $75K = $325K

Now I don't know that Lawler will accept $250K or less but I can see how this could work in our SMS if we choose that route.  I wouldn't but obviously the team is talking with his agent and that can't hurt.

I think I agree that anything over $225K is too much and could be spent on beefing up our DT's.

Throw in the difference between Couture and Eli.

blue_or_die

I'd love Lawler back but 333K is absolute nonsense.

Demski at 190K with the Canadian passport....I know Lawler is the more talented pure receiver (Demski brings gadget/utility features and has an incredible nose for the endone) but when you factor in the pluses and minuses of each I don't think Lawler should be much more expensive. $200K ideally to make sense for us, or I'd consider up to $215K but that would be my "number".
#Ride?

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 07, 2023, 05:53:33 PM
Better yet, sign Sheed for $140K, he works harder and is more durable.

He's still under contract and technically we don't have to do anything in 2023. I'm not against extending him, but we could add another player rather than just pay him more.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on February 07, 2023, 07:09:23 PM
He's still under contract and technically we don't have to do anything in 2023. I'm not against extending him, but we could add another player rather than just pay him more.

???

Sheed=Rasheed Bailey, who is currently a F.A.

Jesse

My wife is amazing!

Pigskin

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 07, 2023, 07:20:31 PM
???

Sheed=Rasheed Bailey, who is currently a F.A.

Sorry, I confused your comment with Schoen. Bailey was already making $138K. Not sure how much is wanting at the moment. However options are decreasing as we speak as other teams come to terms with potential free agents.

Dunbar signs agrees to terms with the Elks.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pete

Maybe it means one less team for Lawler unless Hamilton is in play

KINGCHARLES

Someone has also said that Geno Lewis has expressed interest in playing in Winnipeg.
If thats  true, one would imagine that the Bombers are negotiating with both Lawler and Lewis and will probably go after whoever comes cheapest. 
I kind of feel like Geno Lewis might be an actual better fit and might be more appealing to the fans. Both guys have the tendency to make those extremely tough contested catches, also have tendencies to make spectacular catches. Im guessing Lewis comes cheaper.
BEASTS OF THE EAST

I DON'T BRAKE FOR RIDER FANS

Blue In BC

Quote from: KINGCHARLES on February 07, 2023, 08:32:40 PM
Someone has also said that Geno Lewis has expressed interest in playing in Winnipeg.
If thats  true, one would imagine that the Bombers are negotiating with both Lawler and Lewis and will probably go after whoever comes cheapest. 
I kind of feel like Geno Lewis might be an actual better fit and might be more appealing to the fans. Both guys have the tendency to make those extremely tough contested catches, also have tendencies to make spectacular catches. Im guessing Lewis comes cheaper.

Could be. Free agency is a little like musical chairs. Can't tell who signs 1st or where but each signing fills a spot. A team that signs Lawler won't also sign Lewis or vice versa.

I wouldn't agree that Lewis might be a better fit aside from the question of SMS. I'd be happy with either at the right price.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Guaranteed money is only if you've played 2 seasons with a team... so that's off the table.  Whew.

I'd like Lewis on a one year deal over Lawler on a multi year... even at the same $.  I think Lewis is a better fit too.

Lawler will get multi year deal offers, for sure.  Lewis probably not.  So, I think we end up with Lewis for $225k / 1 year.

I'd be good with that.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

ModAdmin

Jeff Hamilton
@jeffkhamilton
18m
BREAKING: The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have agreed in principle to a two-year contract with receiver Kenny Lawler. Details unclear at this point. #wfp
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Lincoln Locomotive

wasn't expecting that TBH....now if we can sign Sheed we are in pretty great shape.....we still have Agudosi signed and Schoen is still under contract!    Price had to be high methinks....hopefully not too high where we suffer because of it
Bomber fan for life

theaardvark

Well, I guess Mr. Walters gets the GM of the year now...

Have to wonder what the terms are... I don't think we would bust the budget for him, and 2 years only... so there's that, and pretty sure no guaranteed money allowed.

Yes, we now have the GC favourite, ready to do 3 in 4...  wonder if I can get a bet in before this changes the line ;)

Wow... 3 to 1... that's insane. No meat on the bone with that bet...

Winnipeg Blue Bombers  3.00
BC Lions  4.50
Calgary Stampeders  6.00
Toronto Argonauts  6.00
Hamilton Tiger-Cats  8.00
Montreal Alouettes  8.50
Saskatchewan Roughriders  10.00
Edmonton Elks 16.00

Elks are quite the longshot, wish you could get an against bet on MTL... 8.5 is way wrong... especially with Ham at 8

Defending champs at 6 to 1...

Easy to say who the oddsmakers think won the offseason...

bwiser

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on February 07, 2023, 09:26:07 PM
wasn't expecting that TBH....now if we can sign Sheed we are in pretty great shape.....we still have Agudosi signed and Schoen is still under contract!    Price had to be high methinks....hopefully not too high where we suffer because of it
With Lawler and Shoen returning [fingers crossed] the Bombers look set on offense.Lawler signing likely means the chances of Ellingson and Bailey returning are all but done.

blue_gold_84

Losing Bailey is unfortunate and I'll be sad to see him in other colours than blue and gold. Ellingson, however... Farewell.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Pigskin

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on February 07, 2023, 09:39:09 PM
Losing Bailey is unfortunate and I'll be sad to see him in other colours than blue and gold. Ellingson, however... Farewell.

Yes, really like the way Bailey plays.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: ModAdmin on February 07, 2023, 09:17:33 PM
Jeff Hamilton
@jeffkhamilton
18m
BREAKING: The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have agreed in principle to a two-year contract with receiver Kenny Lawler. Details unclear at this point. #wfp
Holy Shite! If Schoen comes back, wow we are friggin loaded!

Walters bangin em out of the park!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on February 07, 2023, 09:39:09 PM
This is true but who would you rather have Lawler or Bailey?

TBURGESS

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

KINGCHARLES

hmmmm i wonder if theres any other potential defensive FA's the Bombers may target....I would like to see Santos-Knox back in Blue, maybe a Chris Edwards or Shaq Richardson from TO, Kameron Kelly from Ham, maybe a Deon Lacey?
I'm just wondering if they bring in anyone to challenge Wilson at WIL and Darby at SAM. Darby can be used at SAM or HB.
of course i forgot about Malik Clements until looking at the roster he was the starting WIL in the Grey Cup.

I'm now thinking the Bombers may not make any big splash signings with Lawler being signed

...bring back Andrew Harris on a retirement deal?
BEASTS OF THE EAST

I DON'T BRAKE FOR RIDER FANS

Pete

You have to think the happiest guy is Collaros now that we have Demski and Lawler on multi year deals.
We really haven't seen anything yet in terms of $'s with any of the free agent agreements.
I think the only free agent we may have interest in is at dt.(if we have anything left in sms $)

Sir Blue and Gold

Hahaha amazing. Just give us the cup right now.

Kidding. But so great. He's such a headache to try and gameplan. I guess one year in Jones' house of horrors was enough.

dd

Wow, that is a surprising signing, I hoped it would happen but never thought it would. Excellent. Any word on Bailey??

Blue In BC

Almost too good to be true. I'm not quite clear on how the tampering period works once a player has agreed in principle to a contract. Do the Elks have an opportunity to negotiate for his return now knowing what his deal is worth? Or does this become written in stone once free agency happens.

Looking forward to seeing him back. What this costs us elsewhere on the roster will be somewhat of a question.  Bailey and Ellingson likely won't be back but it does change the priority of free agency in an unexpected way.

Might be a few potential free agents jump on the band wagon.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Copied from google search. This would indicate the time has come and gone.

When the window closes, teams will enter an exclusive 48-hour negotiating period with their pending free agents. At the start of that 48-hour period, the league will provide teams with the registered offers their pending free agents received. Teams will have until Feb. 8 at 10 a.m. ET to make an offer to their pending free agents. They?ll have to provide a copy of the offer to the CFL and the CFLPA.

At the end of that 48-hour period, the player will have from 10 a.m. to noon ET on Feb. 8 to select any offer made to him from any club. If he chooses one of these offers, the chosen team has to notify the CFL, who will then notify the other eight teams in the league. Conversely, if the player doesn?t accept any of these offers, he?ll enter free agency with any prior offers made from any team withdrawn and no longer available for acceptance.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on February 07, 2023, 10:45:14 PM
Almost too good to be true. I'm not quite clear on how the tampering period works once a player has agreed in principle to a contract. Do the Elks have an opportunity to negotiate for his return now knowing what his deal is worth? Or does this become written in stone once free agency happens.

Looking forward to seeing him back. What this costs us elsewhere on the roster will be somewhat of a question.  Bailey and Ellingson likely won't be back but it does change the priority of free agency in an unexpected way.

Might be a few potential free agents jump on the band wagon.

Correct. Players can't actually sign and have it registered until free agency opens. But since teams can talk to players, players and teams and agree in principle which basically means it's done except for filing it with the league when free agency officially opens. I suppose a player could still walk away but it's unlikely.

pjrocksmb

Our air attack just went from good to deadly.

Can't touch us.

Bomber Diehard

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on February 07, 2023, 10:48:33 PM
Copied from google search. This would indicate the time has come and gone.

When the window closes, teams will enter an exclusive 48-hour negotiating period with their pending free agents. At the start of that 48-hour period, the league will provide teams with the registered offers their pending free agents received. Teams will have until Feb. 8 at 10 a.m. ET to make an offer to their pending free agents. They?ll have to provide a copy of the offer to the CFL and the CFLPA.

At the end of that 48-hour period, the player will have from 10 a.m. to noon ET on Feb. 8 to select any offer made to him from any club. If he chooses one of these offers, the chosen team has to notify the CFL, who will then notify the other eight teams in the league. Conversely, if the player doesn?t accept any of these offers, he?ll enter free agency with any prior offers made from any team withdrawn and no longer available for acceptance.

Super confusing, the bombers just signed Lawler but won't know Schoen's status for sure until the NFL window closes on Feb. 14.  I think there will be some backlash from certain teams regarding these "unofficial announcements" coming out early and stealing the thunder away from opening day signings. 

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 08, 2023, 12:12:51 AM
Super confusing, the bombers just signed Lawler but won't know Schoen's status for sure until the NFL window closes on Feb. 14.  I think there will be some backlash from certain teams regarding these "unofficial announcements" coming out early and stealing the thunder away from opening day signings. 

That's not how it works Feb 8th is the closure date same as the tampering period.

Any CFL player ? not just pending free agents ? is eligible to use the NFL window, which opened Dec. 13, 2021 and closes on Feb. 8, 2022.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

gobombersgo

Farhan Lalji:
I'm told Kenny Lawler's expected deal with #Bombers will pay him 260-265k in 2023 & 300k in 2024. Had more money available elsewhere but wanted to be back in Wpg & took less in year 1 to accommodate. @CFLonTSN

the paw

Quote from: gobombersgo on February 08, 2023, 12:47:03 AM
Farhan Lalji:
I'm told Kenny Lawler's expected deal with #Bombers will pay him 260-265k in 2023 & 300k in 2024. Had more money available elsewhere but wanted to be back in Wpg & took less in year 1 to accommodate. @CFLonTSN

That seems like the correct number, when you consider what Demski, Gittens, Weineke have all signed for.   I imagine the Elks told him straight up he wasn't getting the same as last year, so it was a question of where his best fit was going to be. 

The only one who might top that number is Lewis, and I wouldn't think by much. 
grab grass 'n growl

bluengold204

Farhan Lalji:

Yikes, dangerously overpriced

TecnoGenius

Quote from: ModAdmin on February 07, 2023, 09:17:33 PM

This is wild, and completely out of left field.  Before I hit this part of the thread I would have bet big money we'd never sign Lawler.

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on February 07, 2023, 09:55:56 PM
Holy Shite! If Schoen comes back, wow we are friggin loaded!
Walters bangin em out of the park!

This could signal Schoen might be going... If we have both Lawler and Schoen, we're going to be deadly.

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 08, 2023, 12:12:51 AM
I think there will be some backlash from certain teams regarding these "unofficial announcements" coming out early and stealing the thunder away from opening day signings. 

Who knows how it "leaked".  It might not be the team, it might have been Lawler, or his agent, or who knows who else that is in on the chain.  How can teams get mad then?  Who to blame?
Never go full Rider!

Sir Blue and Gold

Farhan Lalji:

Wowza. Collaros, Lawler and Demski account for approximately 1.055M of a 5.5M salary cap. That's like 20 percent or so. Be good and stay healthy I guess. Ha.

gobombersgo

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 08, 2023, 01:03:04 AM

Who knows how it "leaked".  It might not be the team, it might have been Lawler, or his agent, or who knows who else that is in on the chain.  How can teams get mad then?  Who to blame?

Yeah, it was all over the media. Now Lawler has also posted his goodbyes to Edmonton and the Elks organization on Instagram.

TecnoGenius

Farhan Lalji:

Quote from: bluengold204 on February 08, 2023, 01:00:11 AM
Yikes, dangerously overpriced

Yes, I wouldn't have signed such a deal.  Where is all this SMS coming from??  It's like every team thinks they have $1M more to spend in 2023.  Weird.

Last year we all were laughing at EDM for crazily overpaying $250k.  Now we are $260k.  So laugh at ourselves?  It didn't work out for EDM.  Hopefully we fare better.

But, I trust that KW has all the beans accounted for and knows what he is doing.  Lawler has been in the league enough he should qualify for FAKENAT status and thus can be on the field a whack ton in place of a 2nd NAT?  More reps for McCrae too?

I'm not so worried about the 2024 price.  We can ditch him before the cutoff if we can't afford it, assuming he's not totally lighting up the league.

From a "puzzle piece" "why did we lose the GC" perspective having Lawler in 2023 will definitely help.  Our receiving corps in '22 GC was really lacklustre that night.
Never go full Rider!

BLUEBOMBER

Collaros should light things up if he is still healthy.  With Demski, Schoen and Lawler I don't see why he wouldn't.  I am more worried about his health though as he is starting to get up there in age.  I don't think Ellingson will be back and I don't think Wolitarsky is as explosive as he used to be.  I would like to see Olivera step up his game.. every game though.  Without a good running game, other teams will adjust their defence.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on February 08, 2023, 01:04:15 AM
Be good and stay healthy I guess. Ha.

That's the thing.  Lawler's body type and play style is very conducive to injury.  I always said he's like an upgraded Nick Moore.  But if he reins in his style to avoid injury then he won't make those circus plays.  Look at the play that got him injured in EDM.

It's a tough thing to sit there and "Collarosize" him in terms of our worry level after each hit.  Will we all be holding our breaths each time he gets whacked in the air making tough catches.  That's a lot of dough to be flying in the air with breakable bones...
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Someone (OP or mod) should update the thread subject to reflect he's (almost sorta kinda) signed.  Some people might not even click the thread thinking it's impossible we'll get him.
Never go full Rider!

ModAdmin

Darren Cameron
@Darren_Cameron
30m
Just FaceTimed with Kenny. Over multiple conversations the last few days, the smile on his face today says it all. He?s coming home. #ForTheW
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

ModAdmin

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 08, 2023, 01:25:31 AM
Someone (OP or mod) should update the thread subject to reflect he's (almost sorta kinda) signed.  Some people might not even click the thread thinking it's impossible we'll get him.

Done.  The "Unofficial" will be removed once Free Agency starts and Lawler is announced as signed by the Bombers.

https://forums.bluebombers.com/index.php?topic=54785.0

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Bomber Diehard on February 07, 2023, 11:50:03 PM
Loaded at receivers- now a Field Goal kicker
Disagree imo we got a good one with the right passport, a strong leg and a bright future

Patience grasshopper ;)

ModAdmin

Quote from: pjrocksmb on February 08, 2023, 02:45:14 AM
Nah we got a good one with the right passport, a strong leg and a bright future

Patience grasshopper ;)

Certainly the right passport.  But "a good one" with "a bright future"  has to be proven.  Wishing Liegghio well and success but
from my perspective, the jury is still out.

Go Big Blue

"Wow". The Lawler offer has really solidified the receiving corps big time and is a nice early Valentines Day present for ZC. Once it is made official it confirms that the BB should be in great shape in November.
The "Selkirk Milkman" Cec Luning's "Moo Cow" Cream Play of the 107th Grey Cup - #3 Thiadric Hansen: One hit takes out two Tiger Cats.

DM83

If you think Leggio is a good choice as a field goal/ place kicker you have no credibility. He lost the last gray. Cup  for us twice.
Leggio is the worst kicker in the league.

Sec223

Quote from: DM83 on February 08, 2023, 03:39:06 AM
If you think Leggio is a good choice as a field goal/ place kicker you have no credibility. He lost the last gray. Cup  for us twice.

Speaking of no credibility LOL The O-line played like crap and the D was out played. ZC was still injured. Leggs was not alone in blame for the loss but yes he could have covered a lot of errors in that game and not just his. Sitting in that dam green stadium it was like watching a nightmare.

Jesse

One play doesn't win or lose a game.

He was better in year 2 than he was in year 1. It would be very uncharacteristic of this regime to move on from a player with positive progression.
My wife is amazing!

DM83

Sec232, I could only imagine, the horror of watchin Leggio, Take defeat from the jaws of victory.  He could have simply won the game.
Sorry his only job is to perform a couple times a game, and he can?t put forth the proper effort when called upon.
Simply put, he can not perform at a professional level.

Get someone else.  If he is so loved, give him a marketing job, selling seasons tickets..  he can?t put the ball through the uprights on a regular basis. We all know this! So what are they waiting for? Cut the ?misser?

Bomber Diehard

Lawler is a nice signing from Edmonton but I would have preferred that they signed Sergio.
No one better than Sergio for Field goals .

blue_gold_84

What's a Gray Cup? :D

That loss in late November didn't hinge on a single play.

Anyway, back on topic. I am absolutely pumped to see Lawler back in blue and gold!
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Blue In BC

Contract was higher than I would have liked but very happy to see him return to the Bombers.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

blue_or_die

Love Lawler but I guess I just don?t get the money. He had one good season. It earned him an obscene amount and didn?t work out due to major injury. Not sure how that entitles one to 300K. Gotta think there?s going to be a major economics readjustment with the apparent new TV deal resulting in what I would assume to be a big cap increase?

Don?t get me wrong- I have no doubt Lawler will shine with Zac throwing him the ball but I?m just a bit baffled by the bargaining power in this deal. I guess the market rate was clear that Lawler is in the 250+ club based on the eye test.

Very excited about our receiving corps now after these signings. We didn?t have anyone last week lol.
#Ride?

Pigskin

If all reports are correct, it looks like he a took a $35-$40K pay cut this season. The reported $300K for next season is going to hurt with woli82, BO20 and DS83 coming up as FAs.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: blue_or_die on February 08, 2023, 03:02:43 PM
Love Lawler but I guess I just don?t get the money. He had one good season. It earned him an obscene amount and didn?t work out due to major injury. Not sure how that entitles one to 300K. Gotta think there?s going to be a major economics readjustment with the apparent new TV deal resulting in what I would assume to be a big cap increase?

Don?t get me wrong- I have no doubt Lawler will shine with Zac throwing him the ball but I?m just a bit baffled by the bargaining power in this deal. I guess the market rate was clear that Lawler is in the 250+ club based on the eye test.

Very excited about our receiving corps now after these signings. We didn?t have anyone last week lol.

Kind of disappointed Walters contributes to the overspending on a single players phenomena, but he's done it before with Bighill and Jefferson, driving CFL player costs up by making them the highest paid players at their position for the time.  Driving individual player costs up while letting deserving players walk because there's not enough money in the budget to retain them, is like stealing from Peter to pay Paul.

Pete

Walters didn't drive up the market, that was done by Edmonton with Lawler Ly and initially by BC with Whitehead. When you see what's Lewis gets, what Dunbar and possibly Wienike recieved along with Hamilton's white asking for 240k it becomes clear if you want a #1 reciever you will pay.

Sec227

Quote from: Pete on February 08, 2023, 03:31:49 PM
Walters didn't drive up the market, that was done by Edmonton with Lawler Ly and initially by BC with Whitehead. When you see what's Lewis gets, what Dunbar and possibly Wienike recieved along with Hamilton's white asking for 240k it becomes clear if you want a #1 reciever you will pay.

Have to think Lewis to riders. Making him the highest paid WR...

the paw

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 08, 2023, 03:24:44 PM
Kind of disappointed Walters contributes to the overspending on a single players phenomena, but he's done it before with Bighill and Jefferson, driving CFL player costs up by making them the highest paid players at their position for the time.  Driving individual player costs up while letting deserving players walk because there's not enough money in the budget to retain them, is like stealing from Peter to pay Paul.

I agree with Pete.

I think the term "overpay" has really lost all meaning. People usually use it as a sign of disapproval when the number isn't what they would like to pay, without considering the market conditions.  Top players at their position get top $.  And, it should be noted, Lawler left money on the table to come back to Winnipeg, so we are getting a culture and loyalty discount here.

But you do have a legitimate point about the sacrifices required by Walters approach.  But it has yielded results, starting with Chris Randle and Stanley Bryant early in his tenure and continuing through.  I think his results justify the approach though.  At the end of the day, I want Lawler more than I want to hang on to Bailey.  I really wanted us to hang on to Casey Sayles, but it just isn't in the budget.  the number of players that we are letting walk is actually a very small number compared to other teams.  It would be hard for Walters to pitch a shut out....
grab grass 'n growl

theaardvark

Quote from: Pigskin on February 08, 2023, 03:14:13 PM
If all reports are correct, it looks like he a took a $35-$40K pay cut this season. The reported $300K for next season is going to hurt with woli82, BO20 and DS83 coming up as FAs.

None of the 2024 $300k is guaranteed... so if he has a below par season, its not binding in any way...

And if he earns his $265k this year, we will happily pay the $300k next year...

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on February 08, 2023, 04:40:29 PM
None of the 2024 $300k is guaranteed... so if he has a below par season, its not binding in any way...

We'll see what happens if Schoen comes back, can't afford to pay them both their asking price next year.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 08, 2023, 05:05:37 PM
We'll see what happens if Schoen comes back, can't afford to pay them both their asking price next year.

All indications as of now are he's coming back; he hasn't been offered anything in the NFL. It's not a matter of if.

There's also no point in worrying about next year regarding any player. Too many moving parts, IMO.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

blue_or_die

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on February 08, 2023, 05:15:24 PM
All indications as of now are he's coming back; he hasn't been offered anything in the NFL. It's not a matter of if.

There's also no point in worrying about next year regarding any player. Too many moving parts, IMO.

I could be wrong but I think Bannatyne was referring to 2024, when we would have to look at Lawler making 300k and having to find an enormous amount of cash to keep Schoen as he heads to FA.

It?s true that the CFL is a ?one year at a time? league though so I agree it?s not worth worrying about. If we win a third cup, the last thing we will be thinking about this November is that.
#Ride?

pjrocksmb

Disagree all
Quote from: Pete on February 08, 2023, 03:31:49 PM
Agree all
Quote from: the paw on February 08, 2023, 03:49:59 PM
I agree with Pete.

I think the term "overpay" has really lost all meaning. People usually use it as a sign of disapproval when the number isn't what they would like to pay, without considering the market conditions.  Top players at their position get top $.  And, it should be noted, Lawler left money on the table to come back to Winnipeg, so we are getting a culture and loyalty discount here.

But you do have a legitimate point about the sacrifices required by Walters approach.  But it has yielded results, starting with Chris Randle and Stanley Bryant early in his tenure and continuing through.  I think his results justify the approach though.  At the end of the day, I want Lawler more than I want to hang on to Bailey.  I really wanted us to hang on to Casey Sayles, but it just isn't in the budget.  the number of players that we are letting walk is actually a very small number compared to other teams.  It would be hard for Walters to pitch a shut out....
Good points

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: theaardvark on February 08, 2023, 04:40:29 PM

Good point.....we got him at market value.   He could have easily have gone to another team for more $$ but he chose to come back to the team culture he knows....and to a QB he has chemistry with.   I just hope he stays healthy when the chips are down Ie the playoffs and beyond.....
Bomber fan for life

Mikerahl

Stealing from Peter to pay Paul generally has worse outcomes than 3 straight Grey Cup appearances with an extra Western Final one the year before that. CFL is a league where even if you bottom out, you can turn it around fast. You have to strike while the iron is hot.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on February 09, 2023, 03:17:36 AM
Good point.....we got him at market value.   He could have easily have gone to another team for more $$ but he chose to come back to the team culture he knows....and to a QB he has chemistry with.   I just hope he stays healthy when the chips are down Ie the playoffs and beyond.....
^this

TecnoGenius

Quote from: blue_or_die on February 08, 2023, 03:02:43 PM
Gotta think there?s going to be a major economics readjustment with the apparent new TV deal resulting in what I would assume to be a big cap increase?

If that's the rumor, it makes a lot of things make a lot more sense.  Every team is vastly overspending what sanity should dictate, even the normally modestly-subdued KW.  Either it's cap-be-damned or GMs know relief is coming...
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Mikerahl on February 09, 2023, 03:36:08 AM
Stealing from Peter to pay Paul generally has worse outcomes than 3 straight Grey Cup appearances with an extra Western Final one the year before that. CFL is a league where even if you bottom out, you can turn it around fast. You have to strike while the iron is hot.

I wasn't of that mind in 2020/2021, but I'm totally of that mind now!  The iron is hot and the core squad is league-best.  Half the great guys are going to age out very soon.  The next iteration is always a crap shoot.

So get those GCs now.  Without totally screwing over the future, of course (like some teams do)...

I think we all have a 4th straight GC appearance as our minimum definition of "success" for 2023.
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

Looking like we saved $135K on Sayles and put it into Lawler... might hurt Schoen's and Demski's numbers, but won't hurt Collaros' numbers...

Pigskin

Quote from: theaardvark on February 09, 2023, 11:01:52 PM
Looking like we saved $135K on Sayles and put it into Lawler... might hurt Schoen's and Demski's numbers, but won't hurt Collaros' numbers...

I would say that the salaries of GE2 and RB88, ($300K). paid for the Lawler signing and the ND10 extension and pay increase.

Pete

i think it was the savings on Couture (190k) that really helped. We did save on sayles as i doubt he was making more than 120k and tthat will depend on how we replace him

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pete on February 09, 2023, 11:38:21 PM
i think it was the savings on Couture (190k) that really helped. We did save on sayles as i doubt he was making more than 120k and tthat will depend on how we replace him

Sayles was on an ELC and that means $64K a season on his 1st contract?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

The savings on Couture of $190 is nice, what are we paying Eli?

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pigskin on February 10, 2023, 03:17:06 AM
The savings on Couture of $190 is nice, what are we paying Eli?

I bet it was very little.  They might be playing it like he never left in terms of $$ progression.  I would suspect it's close to Dobson, and nowhere near Gray level.  Probably not even Ko-man level.

Then again, we did get him to sign for 3 years??  That might hint that he got a bit more than I am supposing.  Why would you lock yourself in for 3 for peanuts??  Ok, so maybe between Ko-man and Gray level.

Is there any chance we bench Gray for Eli sometime this year??  Or is Eli more of insurance against another big OL departure in Jan 2024??  Neuf might retire and/or I could see others possibly trying to lure$$ Gray away.  Especially if we make the GC again.
Never go full Rider!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 10, 2023, 04:43:06 AM
I bet it was very little.  They might be playing it like he never left in terms of $$ progression.  I would suspect it's close to Dobson, and nowhere near Gray level.  Probably not even Ko-man level.

Then again, we did get him to sign for 3 years??  That might hint that he got a bit more than I am supposing.  Why would you lock yourself in for 3 for peanuts??  Ok, so maybe between Ko-man and Gray level.

Is there any chance we bench Gray for Eli sometime this year??  Or is Eli more of insurance against another big OL departure in Jan 2024??  Neuf might retire and/or I could see others possibly trying to lure$$ Gray away.  Especially if we make the GC again.

If Couture is at $190,000 then I would guess Eli is at $145,000 or so and probably has guaranteed escalators over the final two years.

theaardvark

I see Eli as 6th/7th man, and important in the Jumbo team and ST's.  He can slot in at any interior spot, with Gray/Neufeld bumping out if an OT goes down.  Knowing we couldn't sign all our Oline, I think the choice of Eli over Couture makes a huge amount of sense.  If (knock on wood) we lose Neufeld to injury or retirement, Dobson or Eli is there to take over.

Losing Couture, we are still 7 deep at starting NAT Oline...

Have to wonder what Oline SSK is bringing in... other than someone off our PR, that is...