(Unofficial) Kenny Lawler signs with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Started by Blue In BC, February 07, 2023, 02:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Bombers in the mix trying to sign Kenny Lawler. He wants $1M over 3 years!!!  I wonder what other teams are even considering him and that kind of money? Does he realize there are only 9 teams in the CFL? If the Elks are out of the picture, he'd down to 8.

I'd like him back but wow.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

3rdand1.5

1m over 3 years that's steep, really steep, I would love him back here but.....

Pigskin

Quote from: Blue In BC on February 07, 2023, 02:26:05 PM
Bombers in the mix trying to sign Kenny Lawler. He wants $1M over 3 years!!!  I wonder what other teams are even considering him and that kind of money? Does he realize there are only 9 teams in the CFL? If the Elks are out of the picture, he'd down to 8.

I'd like him back but wow.

Good luck with that. At $1M over 3 years, I can't see us in the mix.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Jesse

Quote from: Pigskin on February 07, 2023, 02:45:19 PM
Good luck with that. At $1M over 3 years, I can't see us in the mix.

Well, we are in the mix. That's clearly out of the question for any team.

He's not getting a raise from last year. So automatically you have to think the best anyone would reach is 275. How much lower can we get him if we offer three years and guaranteed play-off money?
My wife is amazing!

theaardvark

I'd go $600k for 3 years, max.  Max guaranteed in years 2 and 3...

That is the max any non QB player in this league should be paid.  Regardless ratio or numbers. 

Don't get me wrong, Lawler is a top receiver in the league, and any team that gets him will be improving with his presence, but the difference of $133k is enough to make a team weaker at a number of positions.  His injury last year also brings that question to the table.  2 consecutive years without a complete season... guaranteed money is a risk...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

bunker

Quote from: theaardvark on February 07, 2023, 04:00:41 PM
I'd go $600k for 3 years, max.  Max guaranteed in years 2 and 3...

That is the max any non QB player in this league should be paid.  Regardless ratio or numbers. 

Don't get me wrong, Lawler is a top receiver in the league, and any team that gets him will be improving with his presence, but the difference of $133k is enough to make a team weaker at a number of positions.  His injury last year also brings that question to the table.  2 consecutive years without a complete season... guaranteed money is a risk...
He's not eligible for guaranteed money. From 3 downation:
"He is ineligible to receive guaranteed money from any team on his next contract as he has not spent the past two years with the same club."

I am not sure I would go much beyond 200-225,000 per year either. Maybe 250,000 in a stretch if Walters thinks he can fit it under the cap. He's a great receiver, and I'd love to have him back, but he missed alot of games last year, and we might get more value out of some of the other FA receivers. I think he will go to the highest bidder, and it won't be the bombers.

Horseman

Sorry, pass on the 1M for 3 years. Sask might take him up on it though.

Pete

Hard pass at anything over 225k. Lets look at dunbar or white from mitrl or hamilton. Sask just put in an offer for Wienike. So they are unlikely for lawler Only team i can see even approaching 300 is edmonton
I only hope we dont get fixated on lawler and end up missing out on another good reciever, in past years it has been burnham that we tried to get then ended up with whoever is available at the end

Throw Long Bannatyne

Not interested in Lawler and hope Walters doesn't seriously pursue him as he's priced himself over market.  In his best season he caught 64 receptions for a CFL-leading 1,014 yards and six touchdowns in 13 regular season games in 2021.  I'd rather they roll with the receivers they had last year who are coming back and fill any gaps with new/cheaper blood to better manage the budget.

Blue In BC

It seems we're negotiating with Lawler but I didn't get the impression we've made an actual offer that we have to stick to. It's interesting that we have that kind of money available to spend somewhere.

Note: Ellingson was $165K and Bailey was $138K+ $303K in 2022.

Lawler@ $250K + Agudosi @ $75K = $325K

Now I don't know that Lawler will accept $250K or less but I can see how this could work in our SMS if we choose that route.  I wouldn't but obviously the team is talking with his agent and that can't hurt.

I think I agree that anything over $225K is too much and could be spent on beefing up our DT's.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Jesse on February 07, 2023, 02:49:17 PM
Well, we are in the mix. That's clearly out of the question for any team.

He's not getting a raise from last year. So automatically you have to think the best anyone would reach is 275. How much lower can we get him if we offer three years and guaranteed play-off money?

If $250-270K per can be negotiated, the Bombers could probably make it work. No sense blowing the bank at the cost of roster stability.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

TBURGESS

I don't see how we can afford Lawler @ 330K/year. That would mean we're spending 930K on two players, Collaros and Lawler, when the SMS is 5.51 Mill.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TBURGESS on February 07, 2023, 04:55:00 PM
I don't see how we can afford Lawler @ 330K/year. That would mean we're spending 930K on two players, Collaros and Lawler, when the SMS is 5.51 Mill.

Ultimately seems selfish, if he gets his money hopefully he ends up on a team that misses the playoffs again.