Blue Bombers Forum
August 20, 2022, 01:24:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: CFL says Lucky Whitehead is a FA.  Do We Try To Sign Him for 2022?
Yes - 14 (36.8%)
No - 24 (63.2%)
Total Voters: 38

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Lucky Whitehead - Free Agent (no longer)  (Read 9548 times)
theaardvark

« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2021, 03:18:09 PM »

With Lucky showing up in the stands here I get the feeling he's using the Bombers to get a raise with the Lions ?

Pretty sure that would work AGAINST getting a raise.... wearing the competition's gear while still under contract?  Easier to get you released...  would Geroy be interested in bringing him to Edm?  Guess it depends on who the OC/QB are...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2021, 06:28:59 PM »

Attending the Bomber game doesn't mean he ends up here or doesn't end up in Vancouver. Teams make decisions on their needs and he was important and well liked in Vancouver. Burnham might be the receiver on the bubble from an SMS point of view. If Reilly leaves the Lions then all bets are off.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Pigskin

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2021, 07:02:16 PM »

If Lawler was to sign with an NFL team, I could see the bombers taking a shot at Lucky. Bailey also had a very good year for the bombers and turned into one of our go to receivers. Adams is one of the best blocking receivers in the league, and can make plays.  Demski is rock solid, and Woli showed in the 4th. quarter of the GC, that if you throw him the ball he can make plays.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2021, 10:15:59 PM »

If Lawler was to sign with an NFL team, I could see the bombers taking a shot at Lucky. Bailey also had a very good year for the bombers and turned into one of our go to receivers. Adams is one of the best blocking receivers in the league, and can make plays.  Demski is rock solid, and Woli showed in the 4th. quarter of the GC, that if you throw him the ball he can make plays.

If Lawler signed elsewhere I expect the Bombers to bring around 10 new receivers to camp to see if they could find his immediate replacement, they seem to do this every year regardless of need.  The Bomber receiving corps. without Lawler drops off a cliff in terms of effectiveness, without a dominant #1 receiver they are solid but middle of the pack, much as they were the previous decade before he showed up.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 10:18:51 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
dd

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2021, 12:35:33 AM »

If we lose Lawler ?-heaven forbid!!, I would go hard after burnham, forget whitehead.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2021, 12:50:38 AM »

IF Kenny Lawler moved on to the NFL I could see the Bombers make a serious offer to Burnham.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
DM83

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2021, 11:49:27 AM »

Burnham like Lawler ...too slow for. Permanent work in the NFL.
Perfect for the CFL.
QBs had no pass protection.  A lot of guys wasted.
Salary cap has to rise.

Lucky was very exciting. Just too inconsistent.   
Blue In BC

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2021, 12:52:29 PM »

If Lawler signed elsewhere I expect the Bombers to bring around 10 new receivers to camp to see if they could find his immediate replacement, they seem to do this every year regardless of need.  The Bomber receiving corps. without Lawler drops off a cliff in terms of effectiveness, without a dominant #1 receiver they are solid but middle of the pack, much as they were the previous decade before he showed up.

Bombers bring in a dozen or more receivers every TC. They look at even more in open camps etc.  Take a look at who we ended up with on the PR. Only McKnight made the game day roster for a few games. That's in the time between the end of 2019 and beginning of 2021.

Whitehead may have his issues but our track record finding receivers has been horrible. We need to hang on to Lawler and Bailey.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 01:27:05 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2021, 03:26:23 PM »

Bombers bring in a dozen or more receivers every TC. They look at even more in open camps etc.  Take a look at who we ended up with on the PR. Only McKnight made the game day roster for a few games. That's in the time between the end of 2019 and beginning of 2021.

Whitehead may have his issues but our track record finding receivers has been horrible. We need to hang on to Lawler and Bailey.
Bailey impressed with his YAC and determination....also showed good speed on jet sweeps.    He had his best year as a Bomber as did Lawler who was number 1 in the league.   

Happy to be able to watch a rematch of the 2019 game in Hamilton's back yard!
Blue In BC

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2021, 03:53:10 PM »

Bailey impressed with his YAC and determination....also showed good speed on jet sweeps.    He had his best year as a Bomber as did Lawler who was number 1 in the league.   

Bailey showed promise in 2019 when he got playing time. Lapo didn't use him as much in deeper routes but he was very reliable. I was optimistic he would excel in 2021 and he lived up to my hopes.

That said I have a similar thought about McKnight being able to progress in 2022. He also ran the shorter possession type routes. While he didn't jump out, Collaros told Pierce and O'Shea that the team needed to keep him around in early TC. I have to believe they see his potential.

Now I'm still hoping we can keep both Lawler and Bailey as starters in 2022 and beyond. However someone like McKnight could improve and be that depth guy every team needs at least a couple.

Expecting a CFL rookie to be prominent doesn't always happen in their 1st season.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2021, 04:41:33 PM »

Bailey showed promise in 2019 when he got playing time. Lapo didn't use him as much in deeper routes but he was very reliable. I was optimistic he would excel in 2021 and he lived up to my hopes.

That said I have a similar thought about McKnight being able to progress in 2022. He also ran the shorter possession type routes. While he didn't jump out, Collaros told Pierce and O'Shea that the team needed to keep him around in early TC. I have to believe they see his potential.

Now I'm still hoping we can keep both Lawler and Bailey as starters in 2022 and beyond. However someone like McKnight could improve and be that depth guy every team needs at least a couple.

Expecting a CFL rookie to be prominent doesn't always happen in their 1st season.

Good point, that's usually the case, plenty of vet receivers will become F.A. this spring, Armanti Edwards is already available, not saying he is the answer but they could bring in 2-3 vets of a higher calibre to compete and let the best win the job, cut the rest to save salary. 

If Nelson and McNight are the "next up" best, that's not super impressive.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 05:17:00 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
kkc60

« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2021, 04:45:10 PM »

There should be no reason Nelson is back. 3 years here, hasn't shown anything that says he's developing.
theaardvark

« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2021, 04:53:10 PM »

2022 FA season is going to be weird. 

Budgets might not be known, blowing a big chunk to recruit away a guy like Lawler might just hamstring you.  I can see the top spots are each position still demanding top dollar, but with a haircut off the max... guys who could make $225k in 2019 might be looking at $190k... getting a player to stay all things being equal is going to be easier for the two time defending GC champs, for sure. 

Unless Jones is willing to make some stupid offers (we is famous for ding the opposite), or OTT's new GM making a few splashes for Lapo, I'm thinking we're going to be pretty safe. 

We ARE going to lose players, we won't be able to sign everyone, I am already OK with that.  With our scouts still here, and the core group still here, and our coaches still here, I'm confident going forward.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2021, 05:41:45 PM »

Good point, that's usually the case, plenty of vet receivers will become F.A. this spring, Armanti Edwards is already available, not saying he is the answer but they could bring in 2-3 vets of a higher calibre to compete and let the best win the job, cut the rest to save salary. 

Bringing in vet receivers has never been something that worked out for the Bombers. I agree that Nelson's time in Winnipeg is probably done unless Grant departs in free agency. Then he's pencilled in as the returner in TC until someone beats him out.

We need the dust to settle to see who we lose and who might be a good alternative. Free agency starts around Feb 8th IIRC.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 05:43:17 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
GCn19

« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2021, 05:56:59 PM »

I was very impressed by the season Lucky was having, but we don't need him. If Lawler goes then he might be someone we target.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8  All
  Print  

Jump to: