Blue Bombers Forum
April 03, 2020, 07:13:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coronavirus threat to CFL games?  (Read 2715 times)
New_Earth_Mud

My Past iz Muddy

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2020, 07:52:01 AM »

I have a low white cell count and liver disease. I went to my regular dr.s appointment in a hospital last week and will return for my monthly blood work later this week. If this was really that bad I would think that I would be told to stay home. There has to be some common sense here. Wash you hands with soap and water and if you have symptoms then as a precaution stay home. Things you should be doing anyway. BTW four days later I feel fine.

I have bad COPD    Im going to the Doc this week to see what i should do.

I was and is stupid as i smoked cigs all my life it seems. Its a horrible habit and very hard to get rid of.

We even had a smoking room in my high school.   

#35.... The Godfather of Swag
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2020, 11:01:13 PM »

Well I have one of the most rarest blood diseases in the world.
PNH or Paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria. Ya look it up if you want. It?s been 4+ years. Thankfully there is a drug I have been on for that time to maintain it. It works well to this point.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
Tiger

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2020, 03:21:09 AM »

Good news: cfl is largely not during flu season. 

Bad news:  no vaccine for 1+ years

We?ll see how it goes

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
 Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger
TecnoGenius

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2020, 08:24:07 AM »

CfL may as well delay the season if they have to play in empty stadiums.

That doesn't help if it doesn't turn out to be a seasonal thing.  No one can say if warmer weather will help.  Didn't help Singapore or Iran with their hot weather, nor N.Italy with their very mild Feb/Mar weather.

So delay until when?  You could delay the season and in another X months the situation is worse.  Also, the TSN contracts may stipulate the games must be played.  If there's not going to be any gate revenue, then the TV would become even more critical.  Many other leagues (in Europe/Iran) have/are looking the same situation and deciding to play empty.  (Until players start getting sick... then it's completely done for.)

Coronaviruses in general are more cold-like (many colds are themselves other coronaviruses).  Flus are not a coronavirus.  The only reason people are talking about the flu is because this new one causes flu-like symptoms (esp fever) whereas colds almost never cause fever in adults.  Flus have a definite season, but colds tend to linger and run around (to greater or lesser extent) nearly all year.

Some people take this forum way too cavalierly.
PurpleReign

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2020, 12:04:55 PM »

People are freaking out for a virus and running scared. Roll Eyes
booch

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2020, 12:14:02 PM »

Sars and mers before this were worse strains of a virus, and had a higher mortality ability...this will pass like the umpteen others before it..
theaardvark

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2020, 01:28:14 PM »

Sars and mers before this were worse strains of a virus, and had a higher mortality ability...this will pass like the umpteen others before it..

Horrible take.

Covid-19 has a high transmission rate, stays hidden in normally healthy people, and can be transmitted easily to at risk citizens by these unwitting, unknowing carriers.

Sure, it is not as deadly as SARS or MERS, but it is much more likely to get to at risk people.  It survives outside teh body for extended periods at a range of temperatures / conditions. 

For normally healthy people, and the majority of the population, it is not a concern, no.  But it does put a huge part of our vulnerable population at risk, as well as our health care system...

I know a vaccine is not on the horizon, but I'm not sure that a "controlled burn" concept isn't something to consider.  Infecting healthy people and then quarantining them in a controlled environment, and then allowing them special rights to offer services knowing they are not contagious or at risk of becoming contagious...

We all need to up our sanitation game, regardless... and we need to protect our vulnerable..

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
bluebeard

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2020, 02:13:07 PM »

As an old guy with health problems, I agree with everything in your post Aards.  Great job explaining.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2020, 05:14:27 PM »

Declared a pandemic, this is bad.  Happy I sold most of my stocks.  This will bring an immense buying opportunity zoon.

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
3rdand1.5

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2020, 05:26:45 PM »

Declared a pandemic, this is bad.  Happy I sold most of my stocks.  This will bring an immense buying opportunity zoon.

Yes, one positive is that a potential exists for some good stock/investment deals...Read somewhere that Buffet is down about 4 Billion from this blip....hard to fathom numbers like that
pjrocksmb

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2020, 05:37:24 PM »

Yes, one positive is that a potential exists for some good stock/investment deals...Read somewhere that Buffet is down about 4 Billion from this blip....hard to fathom numbers like that
I was very lucky with my timing but still holding a few stocks that I'm taking a beating on.

blue girl

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2020, 08:19:46 PM »

I could be wrong but I believe that more people get and die from the flu. As a matter of fact if you go to any personal care home or hospital at this time of year they'll have signs telling you not to enter if you have flu like symptoms. I was on two transit buses today that were full. I'm more likely to get sick from being in such an enclosed place. Until my Dr. tells me to self quarantine I'm just continuing on like always.
thurmas

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2020, 08:41:18 PM »

NCAA march madness and frozen four will be played to no fans just family and essential staff that will be a huge blow to the host city for the final four.

https://www.tsn.ca/ncaa-announces-li...ness-1.1456170
pjrocksmb

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2020, 10:13:41 PM »

I could be wrong but I believe that more people get and die from the flu. As a matter of fact if you go to any personal care home or hospital at this time of year they'll have signs telling you not to enter if you have flu like symptoms. I was on two transit buses today that were full. I'm more likely to get sick from being in such an enclosed place. Until my Dr. tells me to self quarantine I'm just continuing on like always.
You are correct but I assume you are healthy.  Big risk for those that are older or have health issues.  In MB for the time being the risk is low but it rises as this spreads.  This risk to the CFL season is low to medium in my mind.  Higher risks in the cities with lots of cases.

blue girl

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2020, 10:48:28 PM »

You are correct but I assume you are healthy.  Big risk for those that are older or have health issues.  In MB for the time being the risk is low but it rises as this spreads.  This risk to the CFL season is low to medium in my mind.  Higher risks in the cities with lots of cases.
No if you read another post I made you'll see that I have a low white cell count and liver disease. But I went to my Dr.s appointment at a hospital and I will be back later in the week for my mandatory monthly blood test unless I hear from a Dr. not to go.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All
  Print  

Jump to: