Blue Bombers Forum
July 10, 2020, 08:23:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Winston Rose released...signs with Bengals  (Read 3908 times)
dd

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2019, 08:56:07 PM »

Ya, we brought in Fenner and Gaitor a couple of years ago to upgrade our secondary only to find out they too couldn?t cut it. Kudos to our scouting staff for bringing in the likes of Jones and Maston, and signing Winston rose and with the move of Alexander to safety our secondary was transformed to what it needed to be to bring a championship here.

We ll likely lose a couple of players (sayles, rose??) but we ll restock the secondary with talented players-coming off a championship and keeping our HC/good locker room in place are drawing cards in the FA market
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2019, 11:44:19 PM »

Ya, we brought in Fenner and Gaitor a couple of years ago to upgrade our secondary only to find out they too couldn?t cut it. Kudos to our scouting staff for bringing in the likes of Jones and Maston, and signing Winston rose and with the move of Alexander to safety our secondary was transformed to what it needed to be to bring a championship here.

We ll likely lose a couple of players (sayles, rose??) but we ll restock the secondary with talented players-coming off a championship and keeping our HC/good locker room in place are drawing cards in the FA market
\

The secondary and the D as a whole peaked perfectly for the playoffs, it's inevitable there will be a decline in player quality with the personnel losses Walters has to deal with.  Very likely the D-line will not be near as good if they lose Jefferson and same goes with the secondary with the loss of Rose and perhaps Sayles.  Solid secondary players such as Fenner, Gaitor and Roh may be the immediate solution that can fill the breech until more dominant players establish themselves in the second half of the season.  As long as the Bombers can keep pace with their competitors in the West division these adjustments will have to be made on the go.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2019, 05:29:41 AM »

Fenner?
Are you blind
? When he was replaced the secondary immediately I,proved.. He should be a linebacker

That's because at the exact same time they pulled Fenner they replaced Hecht with Alexander!  Fenner was evolving into a very good player his last 3-4 games.  He was no longer the liability he was early in the year.

And Fenner stuck around even though he was benched.  I think he'll be fine starting again.

Solid secondary players such as Fenner, Gaitor and Roh may be the immediate solution that can fill the breech until more dominant players establish themselves in the second half of the season.  As long as the Bombers can keep pace with their competitors in the West division these adjustments will have to be made on the go.

Gaitor is gonzo.  I don't see him ever wearing B&G again.  MOS sounded pissed off whenever his name was mentioned after the kerfuffle.  Bad move on Gaitor's part!  Seeya!

Roh was very capable and was always good, and stuck around and helped on the sidelines the whole year.  Not JJ/WJ good.  But good.  Roh would be fine to fill in for WJ until WJ's status is known.

I'm looking around the league at DBs (DEs too!) and really none jump out at me.  Breaux didn't impress me as once teams realized he wasn't invincible and started throwing his way he just looked average.  Maybe he's too old now.  However, if there are some star FA DBs out there, I don't see why they wouldn't give WPG (and guaranteed playoff money) some thought.  I'm sure MOS/KW/Hall have their short-list of nice-to-haves already made up.

Ah, such is the problem of having the #1 DL and #1 DB corps in the CFL last year... all the other teams' FAs look pedestrian!   Cheesy

Never go full Rider!
dd

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2019, 06:02:24 AM »

Ya, Gaitor was asked to take on a reduced role and declined and was released. He ain?t coming back and good!!
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2019, 04:18:02 PM »

Ya, Gaitor was asked to take on a reduced role and declined and was released. He ain?t coming back and good!!

I'm aware of that, his name has now been removed from the roster but he was on the team right through the G.C. victory.  I fail to see how this is good news for the team, Gaitor is still a good versatile D-back who could come in handy in a changing secondary, just because he got upset when his status changed is no reason to throw hate at him. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 04:45:21 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
Blue In BC

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2019, 06:27:50 PM »

I'm aware of that, his name has now been removed from the roster but he was on the team right through the G.C. victory.  I fail to see how this is good news for the team, Gaitor is still a good versatile D-back who could come in handy in a changing secondary, just because he got upset when his status changed is no reason to throw hate at him. 

We'll never know the entire story I suppose. As a vet they couldn't technically release him without paying him for the balance of the season and post season money.

He was in his 2nd year as a Bomber so I would have thought he'd be on the potential free agent list even if that didn't happen.

As of today he is technically already a free agent. It will be interesting to see who and / or how quickly he signs elsewhere. Wouldn't entirely surprise me to see him back in Vancouver.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 07:15:29 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2019, 07:05:50 PM »

Its hard to come back from not reporting to a team you are under contract to.  The "quitter" label is not a good one in the lockerroom... and coaches don't want that...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2019, 07:16:37 PM »

Its hard to come back from not reporting to a team you are under contract to.  The "quitter" label is not a good one in the lockerroom... and coaches don't want that...

True enough but I suspect he'll get an offer some where this season.

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2019, 09:18:34 PM »

True enough but I suspect he'll get an offer some where this season.

No doubt, and a fresh start will do him good... maybe OTT...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
blue_or_die

« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2019, 04:29:43 AM »

That's because at the exact same time they pulled Fenner they replaced Hecht with Alexander!  Fenner was evolving into a very good player his last 3-4 games.  He was no longer the liability he was early in the year.

And Fenner stuck around even though he was benched.  I think he'll be fine starting again.

Gaitor is gonzo.  I don't see him ever wearing B&G again.  MOS sounded pissed off whenever his name was mentioned after the kerfuffle.  Bad move on Gaitor's part!  Seeya!

Roh was very capable and was always good, and stuck around and helped on the sidelines the whole year.  Not JJ/WJ good.  But good.  Roh would be fine to fill in for WJ until WJ's status is known.

I'm looking around the league at DBs (DEs too!) and really none jump out at me.  Breaux didn't impress me as once teams realized he wasn't invincible and started throwing his way he just looked average.  Maybe he's too old now.  However, if there are some star FA DBs out there, I don't see why they wouldn't give WPG (and guaranteed playoff money) some thought.  I'm sure MOS/KW/Hall have their short-list of nice-to-haves already made up.

Ah, such is the problem of having the #1 DL and #1 DB corps in the CFL last year... all the other teams' FAs look pedestrian!   Cheesy

As much as I want you to be right about the bolded, I do think you have to admit that "guaranteed" playoff money is far more set in stone if you are with Hamilton vs. Winnipeg, simply because of the disparity with east vs west.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Blue In BC

« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2019, 05:26:33 PM »

Rose signing with the Bengals means he probably has a very good chance of making their roster. At worst a PR spot with more money than he'd get in the CFL.

If he had signed with a team that had a very good defense his chances might have been lower.

No more excuses.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2019, 08:28:13 PM »

Rose signing with the Bengals means he probably has a very good chance of making their roster. At worst a PR spot with more money than he'd get in the CFL.

If he had signed with a team that had a very good defense his chances might have been lower.

Regardless of the team being good or not, it's a futures contract. I wouldn't put too much stock into it as they aren't typically worth much and there's no signing bonus except for pretty rare instances. It's obviously better money upfront than the CFL but it's simply a low-risk "investment" for the team to see what he brings to the table come next year's training camp.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out for him next year.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. And you apparently can't quarantine, it either.
Jesse

« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2019, 08:30:26 PM »

Regardless of the team being good or not, it's a futures contract. I wouldn't put too much stock into it as they aren't typically worth much and there's no signing bonus except for pretty rare instances. It's obviously better money upfront than the CFL but it's simply a low-risk "investment" for the team to see what he brings to the table come next year's training camp.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out for him next year.

He told Darrin Bauming that he chose the Be gals over the Eagles because they gave him more assurances. What that is, who knows, but he certainly feels like he has a shot.

My wife is amazing!
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2019, 08:41:18 PM »

He told Darrin Bauming that he chose the Be gals over the Eagles because they gave him more assurances. What that is, who knows, but he certainly feels like he has a shot.

A team can say a lot without being serious about it. And I'd certainly expect him to feel confident about getting another shot in the NFL; he's earned it.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. And you apparently can't quarantine, it either.
Jets
Administrator

« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2019, 09:05:25 PM »

Rose in Cincinnati
https://www.bengals.com/video/one-on-one-winston-rose-signs-future-reserve-contract
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: