Blue Bombers Forum
October 27, 2020, 05:56:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 45
  Print  
Author Topic: Nichols or Collaros  (Read 44572 times)
longtimeblue

« Reply #240 on: November 25, 2019, 03:09:25 PM »

Doubt very much that Collaros would want to stay. He has solid roots in the east. It is a no brainer we keep him if we can. We finally saw this group with a true elite QB and saw the results. Confidence builds and infects the whole squad. Turns out the Nichols injury was a blessing. Going back to the plodding, careful, happy footed check down, chuck into the stands style of MN will be disappointing. And likely frustrating.

I think this season highlights that he is not the guy.

theaardvark

« Reply #241 on: November 25, 2019, 04:52:50 PM »

I really still want to know if the deal is that we lose teh first rounder if we extend Collaros while he is under his current contract, or if it extends into the time of him becoming a free agent.  I wonder if an eastern opponent can be coerced into a sign and trade deal with Collaros... get Montreal to sign him and then trade him to us for a 7th rounder... or even a neg lister... blatant skirting of the rules, but hey, if you ain't cheating, you ain't trying hard enough...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
TBURGESS

« Reply #242 on: November 25, 2019, 04:58:48 PM »

I really still want to know if the deal is that we lose teh first rounder if we extend Collaros while he is under his current contract, or if it extends into the time of him becoming a free agent.  I wonder if an eastern opponent can be coerced into a sign and trade deal with Collaros... get Montreal to sign him and then trade him to us for a 7th rounder... or even a neg lister... blatant skirting of the rules, but hey, if you ain't cheating, you ain't trying hard enough...
Assume that we pay the first rounder if we sign Collaros for next year no matter if he gets to free agency or not.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
booch

« Reply #243 on: November 25, 2019, 05:00:50 PM »

I would think it has to be if we sign him prior to free-agency....once he gets there you wouldn't owe any team anything...free agency is just that...free
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #244 on: November 25, 2019, 05:04:41 PM »

Collaros is more of an injury risk than Nichols but he's clearly better than him too. It's a tough call. Maybe we can go after someone else all together?
theaardvark

« Reply #245 on: November 25, 2019, 05:05:51 PM »

Assume that we pay the first rounder if we sign Collaros for next year no matter if he gets to free agency or not.

Why would you assume that?  re-signing a player usually refers to doing it before they reach free agency...  Pinball has said they intend to have Collaros as their QB next year... I'm guessing that will depend on Collaros now...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Horseman

« Reply #246 on: November 25, 2019, 05:05:53 PM »

I say sign Collaros (if he wants to stay) and Strev, let Nicholls walk. Collaros needs to look at the intangibles by playing here in Wpg as opposed to Toronto, like the cost of living, house prices, etc. He would be able to keep more of his salary in his pocket here as opposed to Toronto. I have no problem giving Toronto our 1st round draft pick to keep Collaros.
bunker

« Reply #247 on: November 25, 2019, 05:06:57 PM »

I would sign Collaros if we can, and let Nichols go to free agency unless he is willing to sign a contract with a low base and incentives. Sure Collaros could get injured, but I think the gap between him and Nichols is large enough to warrant the risk. Would definitely need a good #2 behind him that can start. Although Streveler is a warrior, I'm not convinced he is that guy.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #248 on: November 25, 2019, 05:26:08 PM »

Collaros is more of an injury risk than Nichols but he's clearly better than him too. It's a tough call. Maybe we can go after someone else all together?

I'd say at this point there are too many moving pieces to know one way or another. It sounds like Collaros is already well-established in Southern Ontario: his wife is from there, they have a home there, proximity to his hometown and family. Nichols is a pending free agent coming off a pretty serious injury, but this place has become his home and I doubt he wants to leave. Streveler is an unorthodox QB like none I've ever seen and needs to continue developing, but I could see the Bombers being the ideal place for him to do that. There are some good FA QBs out there, too.

It's near impossible - IMO - at this point in time to see how these chips are going to fall.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. Can't quarantine it, either.
booch

« Reply #249 on: November 25, 2019, 05:27:27 PM »

The bonus of all this..we won the cup...and have some leeway now not being under that bursen of drought..we don't have to be desperate
GCn19

« Reply #250 on: November 25, 2019, 05:33:42 PM »

I would think it has to be if we sign him prior to free-agency....once he gets there you wouldn't owe any team anything...free agency is just that...free

That is how I understood it as well. Seems to me I read in an article (3downnation?) that the 3rd would turn into a first if the Bombers were to sign him to an EXTENSION. Signing him in FA is NOT an extension.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
TBURGESS

« Reply #251 on: November 25, 2019, 05:34:35 PM »

Why would you assume that?  re-signing a player usually refers to doing it before they reach free agency...  Pinball has said they intend to have Collaros as their QB next year... I'm guessing that will depend on Collaros now...

I doubt we can 'get around' the 1st round pick simply by letting Collaros go to free agency then signing him. It's obviously the intent of the deal that we pay a 1st if we sign him for next year.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #252 on: November 25, 2019, 05:37:58 PM »

I doubt we can 'get around' the 1st round pick simply by letting Collaros go to free agency then signing him. It's obviously the intent of the deal that we pay a 1st if we sign him for next year.

maybe not - it might be that if you want first crack at signing him (which could be big depending on how you value him) it will cost you a first rounder...you want to compete in FA and open up the risk that you could lose him then you don't lose the higher draft pick.
Jesse

« Reply #253 on: November 25, 2019, 05:41:11 PM »

You proudly spout out about the "character" of our team for the last six years, then you continually spread a strategy that goes completely against their MO.

We have a trade agreement in place, they'll stick to it, not work around it.

Honestly, I doubt this is even a concern anyway.

My wife is amazing!
jeremy q public

« Reply #254 on: November 25, 2019, 07:09:10 PM »

Doubt very much that Collaros would want to stay. He has solid roots in the east. It is a no brainer we keep him if we can. We finally saw this group with a true elite QB and saw the results. Confidence builds and infects the whole squad. Turns out the Nichols injury was a blessing. Going back to the plodding, careful, happy footed check down, chuck into the stands style of MN will be disappointing. And likely frustrating.

I think this season highlights that he is not the guy.

This is overstating the case. Nichols is also an elite QB. Let?s not forget that we were in first place with him at the reigns. Collaros is more exciting to watch, and can stretch the field better, no doubt about that. But they are both elite QBs who could both win the cup for us. And Collaros is still potentially one concussion away from being an ex-elite QB.

I still would prefer Collaros but given his roots in the east, Toronto?s open plan to snag him, and the fact that we have Nichols under contract... chances are we?ll have Nichols next year.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 45
  Print  

Jump to: