Blue Bombers Forum
May 25, 2020, 07:19:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: After The Game: Bombers & Riders 10/5/2019  (Read 3215 times)
66 Chevelle

« on: October 06, 2019, 12:57:06 AM »

start the afternoon off with the Alouettes lending a helping hand by beating Calgary... only watched the 2nd half but Montreal looked tough, not going to lie,they were playing really physical...

so, what's on the line today... well, for starters 1st place in the West, at least for this week... season series is tied 1-1 so it has home field implications in the play offs... and if that's not enough, it's against our most hated opponent, the Riders... sounds like plenty to play for if you ask me...

we start the afternoon by missing/dropping 2 passes, both of which would have resulted in first downs... Petermann's was tough but the ball got to his chest and he couldn't haul it in... Darvin's... he should have had...

we had a 1 pt and 2 pt decision to make, opted 'no' on both and allowed the Riders to open up the scoring with 3 pts instead...  I must admit I was in favor of both of the decisions, I hate giving away points...

then, in the Riders 2nd series we get homered REAL bad by the ref that allowed the Riders to add to their lead with another field goal... the no call on a blatant hold by the Riders, I'm not sure how it could be missed... the Riders had a hold of a Bombers jersey and only stretched it out by about 18"...

the rest of the first half... meh... I guess you could call it the battle of the defenses... I thought our play calling lacked inspiration, and that's being kind...  will say that I was surprised when I went to the box score and saw the half time numbers...  once again it looked different being played out, but, here they are...

SCORE: Bombers: 3  -  Riders| 8
time of possession: Bombers: 15:11  -  Riders: 14:49
total yards: Bombers: 122 yds  -  Riders: 161 yds
rushing yards: Bombers: 63 yds  -  Riders: 62 yds
passing yards: Bombers: 12/17 - 70.6% - 59 yds  -  Riders: 8/13 - 61.5% - 99 yds
first downs: Bombers: 8  -  Riders: 10
punts: Bombers: 6  -  Riders: 5
sacks: Bombers: 3  -  Riders: 1
penalties (#/yds): Bombers: 2/15  -  Riders: 1/5

it was interesting to note that the deepest the Riders got in the first half was the W40, Bombers made it to the S19...

circus catch by Evans on what looked to be a defended pass by Rose results in another 3 for the Riders... we follow with a nice drive and 50 YARD DEEP BALL (that one was for you, GCN19, lol...) only to be thwarted by the O line, Hardick in particular, deciding not to block anyone and let Streveler get crushed from the blind side resulting in a fumble while in scoring range...

even though the D gave up a sloppy TD to Shaq Evans at the 3:00 mark to seal the deal, it was the first TD they had given up all game... this one we'll hang on the offense, specifically the offensive interceptions by Streveler... 2 interception while within scoring distance, 1 in the end zone and the other at the goal line... 2 for the day but it could have just as easily been 5 interceptions... it felt like the offense was out of sync all night... didn't care at all for the play calling by Lapo but the execution was even worse by the Bombers...

it is kind of sad though, our second to last offensive series, the Riders send 3 and sack Streveler... the O line was hot and cold all day...

we had a chance to get 1st place back and we didn't seem to want it... we kept it close up and until the 3:00 mark of the 4th... the whole game was really pretty blah... so, it is what it is... honestly, I don't have a clue what to do to fix this team at this point...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 01:18:59 AM »

I liked the D today.  I think Strev's salary for next year just went down.  A challenging game and we just couldn't get it done. 

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
Blitzer

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 01:21:45 AM »

I think they got their defense fixed. That's good to see. If the defense plays that well in the playoffs it doesn't matter if it's a road game or home game. All they have to do is win the playoff games. There's no guarantee a first place team will play well in the playoffs. Bombers know their offense was bad today. Hopefully they learned something that will help them.
Blue In BC

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 01:22:18 AM »

I liked the D today.  I think Strev's salary for next year just went down.  A challenging game and we just couldn't get it done. 

Why is it with the game on the line ( down by 8 ) we can't stop the opponent from their own 6 yard line? The game is 60 minutes and they seem to be incapable of playing to the end of the game.

Very unlikely the offense was going to score but that was still a collapse at the end of the game.

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 01:24:38 AM »

Why is it with the game on the line ( down by 8 ) we can't stop the opponent from their own 6 yard line? The game is 60 minutes and they seem to be incapable of playing to the end of the game.

Very unlikely the offense was going to score but that was still a collapse at the end of the game.

honestly, I think they get tired of seeing the offense throw opportunities away... just breaks them down mentally... and I'm being 100% serious...  they kept the Riders out of the end zone all night long and on their home field... we get close and throw it away and then ask them to come back out there and hold them...  much like the offense last week with the defense...

Blue In BC

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 01:27:24 AM »

honestly, I think they get tired of seeing the offense throw opportunities away... just breaks them down mentally... and I'm being 100% serious...  they kept the Riders out of the end zone all night long and on their home field... we get close and throw it away and then ask them to come back out there and hold them...  much like the offense last week with the defense...

We've lost a few games where we had the lead with a couple of minutes left and the defense tanked.

This was a bit different being behind but there was still a chance. 2 & out and we're at mid field needing a TD and 2 point convert.

IIRC the defense dropped 2 and possibly 3 int chances. They whiffed on some 2nd and longs.

No more excuses.
Blitzer

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 01:29:12 AM »

I agree totally. The defense did everything they were asked to do. They probably got frustrated already. If the D keeps playing that way that would be great.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2019, 01:33:45 AM »

I agree totally. The defense did everything they were asked to do. They probably got frustrated already. If the D keeps playing that way that would be great.

if the d played like this in a few other games that we already had won earlier this year, this wouldn't have mattered... 

there is plenty of blame to go around for this season though...

blueraid

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2019, 01:34:16 AM »

Someone said we got our D fixed....hmmmm... I agree until the last few minutes and riders marched the field...Coincidentally Hall was not in the booth....hmmmmm....Now if Lapo was removed from the booth...we might have something...Guess that's up to the head coach...who after that embarrassing performance might be on the way out behind our bench himself...Just garbage after all of these years
66 Chevelle

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2019, 01:35:53 AM »

Someone said we got our D fixed....hmmmm... I agree until the last few minutes and riders marched the field...Coincidentally Hall was not in the booth....hmmmmm....Now if Lapo was removed from the booth...we might have something...Guess that's up to the head coach...who after that embarrassing performance might be on the way out behind our bench himself...Just garbage after all of these years

you make a great point and I'd love to see what this offense could do if someone else was calling the plays...

Blitzer

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2019, 01:49:08 AM »

O'Shea said the defensive backs have to play a press coverage (tighter to the receivers). It looks like they did that today. They were blitzing 6 guys and Sask didn't have time to throw. I guess it's a risk for a long pass but if the QB doesn't have time to set up he might throw a long pick. Whoever was calling the defense today I assume would have called for a press defense. O'Shea said they were going to do that on the coach's show. I hope they keep it up.
blue girl

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2019, 02:06:10 AM »

The defence played well enough to win. Yes they gave up a few long passes but that's going to happen. I don't even blame Rose for the TD. It looked like he was playing the ball to force an INT. The offence though gave up at least 6 points by turning the ball over deep in Saskatchewan territory. And you won't win in the CFL only scoring 6 points.
toolsinbox

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2019, 02:09:01 AM »

I am getting really wasted tonight.
Dodge and Burn

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2019, 02:12:44 AM »

We've lost a few games where we had the lead with a couple of minutes left and the defense tanked.

This was a bit different being behind but there was still a chance. 2 & out and we're at mid field needing a TD and 2 point convert.

IIRC the defense dropped 2 and possibly 3 int chances. They whiffed on some 2nd and longs.

Yeah and they dropped at least two sure int's.

It's not the violin, it's the violinist
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2019, 02:22:31 AM »

I think they got their defense fixed. That's good to see. If the defense plays that well in the playoffs it doesn't matter if it's a road game or home game. All they have to do is win the playoff games. There's no guarantee a first place team will play well in the playoffs. Bombers know their offense was bad today. Hopefully they learned something that will help them.
Agree, if the D plays like this an average O can win a game for us.
Very defeating yes.  Eventually most offenses will beat us if given so many chances.  Evans beat our best on a big play.  It happens.
Hall not being in the booth has less impact on the game than you think.  No much would have changed on schemes or play calls.  We made changes on D and we matched up well tonight. Removing Lapo from the booth would be a disaster.  Our QB simply played poorly tonight and is still learning.  Not much Lapo can do about that.
The defence played well enough to win. Yes they gave up a few long passes but that's going to happen. I don't even blame Rose for the TD. It looked like he was playing the ball to force an INT. The offence though gave up at least 6 points by turning the ball over deep in Saskatchewan territory. And you won't win in the CFL only scoring 6 points.
agree
Yeah and they dropped at least two sure int's.
huge factor in the outcome, impossible with win most nights with a backup QB when you lose the turnover battle this bad

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: