Blue Bombers Forum
May 25, 2020, 08:07:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Andrew Harris and the Team  (Read 6925 times)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« on: August 10, 2019, 06:17:31 AM »

Sort of getting disappointed of hearing all the negativity about checkdowns with Andrew Harris.  At this point, Andrew Harris, checkdowns included, is a huge asset and is very much a part of the fact the Bombers are the #1 team in league right now.

Say what your want about it, the fact is, it's working.  And Harris is #1 in receptions and has 322 yard passing so far coupled with his #1 ranking rushing with 746 years.  He is headed for a very good year based on the current trend.

Bombers have other assets that contribute to our #1 standing including the play of special teams and a pretty solid defence.

Willie Jefferson is #1 in forced fumbles and Winston Rose is #1 in interceptions.

We are first in the league in points for and third in league in points against.

Matt Nichols in #1 in passing TDs and #3 in passing yards gained.  He is #2 in QB efficiency for all starting QBs.

There are areas to improve but the amount of angst about the team is overboard IMO.  We just beat the next best team in the league because we stopped them when it counted the most.  Slow down an breathe.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 05:32:17 AM by ModAdmin » Logged

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Norlorne Dr.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 10:01:49 AM »

Sort of getting tired of hearing all the negativity about checkdowns with Andrew Harris.  At this point, Andrew Harris, checkdowns included, is a huge asset and is very much a part of the fact the Bombers are the #1 team in league right now.

Say what your want about it, the fact is, it's working.  And Harris is #1 in receptions and has 322 yard passing so far coupled with his #1 ranking rushing with 746 years.  He is headed for a very good year based on the current trend.

Bombers have other assets that contribute to our #1 standing including the play of special teams and a pretty solid defence.

Willie Jefferson is #1 in forced fumbles and Winston Rose is #1 in interceptions.

Matt Nichols in #1 in passing TDs and #3 in passing yards gained.  He is #2 in QB efficiency for all starting QBs.

There are areas to improve but the amount of angst about the team is overboard IMO.  We just beat the next best team in the league because we stopped them when it counted the most.  Slow down an breathe.

Agreed, but regardless of his numbers and his stats, he has yet to prove that he can translate those numbers into what counts the most.  Nichols has pretty solid numbers with the Bombers for the last 5 years but is very inconsistent and does not seem to have what it takes to win us a Grey Cup. 

I agree that we can be overly critical at times, but after 5 years of getting "so close, yet so far away" from a Grey Cup, we start to break down every little aspect and try and figure out why we have so much talent, yet can not seem to reach our full potential.
BBRT

If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 01:56:09 PM »

Sort of getting tired of hearing all the negativity about checkdowns with Andrew Harris.  At this point, Andrew Harris, checkdowns included, is a huge asset and is very much a part of the fact the Bombers are the #1 team in league right now.

I am going to disagree with your comments to a great extent. At the moment we have not proven we can our take the ball deep. This makes defensing us very easy - just crowd the LOS. We beat Calgary without their No 1 QB - who we all will agree is either the best QB in the league or close to it. We will wear Andrew Harris out with all the drop offs and short passes week end and week out. It is a long season. Our defense is still the bend and try not to break type. I firmly believe that in order to get to the Grey Cup you need to be able to go deep when you have the chance. We IMHO do not have a QB that can do that. We do not IMHO have a QB that can get the win on that last drive that someone like BLM or Kelley etc can do. Therefore I do disagree with your position to a certain extent.
bigbuff33

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 02:07:16 PM »

Totally agree about wearing Harris down...put Johnny Augustine in for a few series...
Harris is so valuable to this team...he can't be our leading receiver...
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 02:14:39 PM »

I am going to disagree with your comments to a great extent. At the moment we have not proven we can our take the ball deep. This makes defensing us very easy - just crowd the LOS. We beat Calgary without their No 1 QB - who we all will agree is either the best QB in the league or close to it. We will wear Andrew Harris out with all the drop offs and short passes week end and week out. It is a long season. Our defense is still the bend and try not to break type. I firmly believe that in order to get to the Grey Cup you need to be able to go deep when you have the chance. We IMHO do not have a QB that can do that. We do not IMHO have a QB that can get the win on that last drive that someone like BLM or Kelley etc can do. Therefore I do disagree with your position to a certain extent.
Nichols throws a great deep ball. The WR cannot seem to catch them very well though.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
BBRT

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 02:57:52 PM »

Nichols throws a great deep ball. The WR cannot seem to catch them very well though.

Not sure i agree - the sample size is just too small! I am not convinced that MN has the ability to go deep with any accuracy.
Duckman118

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 03:46:07 PM »

It's getting extremely difficult to read these boards, even after a win. Like I mentioned in another thread, people no longer care about the outcome of the games anymore and instead focus on the individual performances of certain players and base that performance as a measurement of this teams capabilities.

People would literally rather be right about a player being good/bad than be happy about this team winning. And imo, that's toxic troll behaviour and it's coming from the same posters week in and week out.

There's a fine line between objective criticism which some posters claim to and just straight up narcissism

"There is a conviction,
when you believe above,
absence leaks from inside,
and brings you back to life again,
I fear an emptiness,
so I just seek the truth,
then I just find myself,
coming back to you."

-Texas In July
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019, 04:04:46 PM »

It's getting extremely difficult to read these boards, even after a win. Like I mentioned in another thread, people no longer care about the outcome of the games anymore and instead focus on the individual performances of certain players and base that performance as a measurement of this teams capabilities.

People would literally rather be right about a player being good/bad than be happy about this team winning. And imo, that's toxic troll behaviour and it's coming from the same posters week in and week out.

There's a fine line between objective criticism which some posters claim to and just straight up narcissism

Yep....trying to find a happy medium between negative posters and the over the top positive posters is a struggle at times.   I focus on whether or not we get the "W" whether it be by STs, Defence or Offence.   This season we have won games via all three and that's a winning formula in my books.   We beat Calgary who despite playing their second string QB who BTW has superior stats to BLM, are still contenders for the GC.    Our last two games of the season are back to back with Calgary and this current win, which was for first place in the West will help the Bombers in their final showdown which could very likely determine the final standings in the West.

Yet we consistently hear complaints about one thing or another or that we were lucky to win.....there is always an element of luck to winning and there's a wise saying "it's better to be lucky than good".....this current Bombers team has both....luck and good players!

Conjuring up the ghost of Leo Lewis to help lead this 2019 team to victory!!
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2019, 04:10:05 PM »

Yes and yes!!   Good post!!

3rdand1.5

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2019, 04:13:53 PM »

In the first few weeks virtually no one picked on Nichols play (always will be the outliers no matter what). Many people who have been hard on Nichols actually were throwing him praise, hello chevy... but then the Hammy game happened and the tide water began to change. That was followed up by arguably Nichols 2nd worst ever performance as a Bomber in TO. This brought out all the Nichols discord. Imo it was deserved again save for a few outlyers most of what people were voicing was legit. Now we beat Cal. And maybe the game plan was executed the way it was drawn up? But  Nichols/Lapo still only put up 177 passing no TDs. Until Nichols gets back to how he performed in the first few weeks people will have critisism, and imo most of it is justified. People argue but we played different defences, yes that is true, but most people no longer want us to be a good team, they want us to be the best team and expectations are to win the West.

As to Harris the guy is one of the best. He can carry this team and he does, but to be the best we need to constantly improve every week and Harris is at the top of his game, we need more than just Harris. We need Nichols to get chemistry with a reciever. If we want to elevate our game and with only a one game lead we need to elevate it. To do that our offence led by Nichols needs to be better and until that happens fans have the right to voice displeasure and or concern

I don't feel we need the head moderator to insinuate that those of us that are voicing our opinions are making him/her tired or annoyed by it. As long as the coc is followed is this not the enire premise of a fan forum. If we all had the same opinion and view threads would be one post long.
blueraid

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2019, 04:17:47 PM »

I think a lot of people are forgetting that Cal. came in here on a very short week....We should have had an edge....didn't seem to be much of one as we barely beat them.....All things considered we played well defensively ...but other than Harris anyone suggesting the offence played Cup winning football is dreaming in high definition....I'm going to suggest IF we were playing Cal. straight up (they had the the same amount of rest and prep time as we had)....that we may not have been on the good side of that outcome...We have to play better offensively..We need MORE than Harris on checkdowns...Failing that ...the next time we play those guys AND possibly into the playoffs...we could be behind the eight ball
BBRT

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2019, 04:45:42 PM »

In the first few weeks virtually no one picked on Nichols play (always will be the outliers no matter what). Many people who have been hard on Nichols actually were throwing him praise, hello chevy... but then the Hammy game happened and the tide water began to change. That was followed up by arguably Nichols 2nd worst ever performance as a Bomber in TO. This brought out all the Nichols discord. Imo it was deserved again save for a few outlyers most of what people were voicing was legit. Now we beat Cal. And maybe the game plan was executed the way it was drawn up? But  Nichols/Lapo still only put up 177 passing no TDs. Until Nichols gets back to how he performed in the first few weeks people will have critisism, and imo most of it is justified. People argue but we played different defences, yes that is true, but most people no longer want us to be a good team, they want us to be the best team and expectations are to win the West.

As to Harris the guy is one of the best. He can carry this team and he does, but to be the best we need to constantly improve every week and Harris is at the top of his game, we need more than just Harris. We need Nichols to get chemistry with a reciever. If we want to elevate our game and with only a one game lead we need to elevate it. To do that our offence led by Nichols needs to be better and until that happens fans have the right to voice displeasure and or concern

I don't feel we need the head moderator to insinuate that those of us that are voicing our opinions are making him/her tired or annoyed by it. As long as the coc is followed is this not the enire premise of a fan forum. If we all had the same opinion and view threads would be one post long.

Very well said - I could care less if the head moderator is a little annoyed - Tough! This is a fan forum and as long as we are following the stated COC we are well within our rights to express our opinions
DM83

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2019, 04:53:10 PM »

Lol! I like to evaluate a players performance.  One of those intangibles is can The guy make the Play when he has to?
Obviously QBs will get the most scrutiny.....they have the ball. Every play.
Then. Lapo...does he call,a good game?
Then the O line. Plain and simple, plain and simple. Do they win their personal individual blocking assignments?  If they do, we win easily
The receivers...just run and catch the ball.  Our guys are way too inconsistent.  Every game some one plain out drops balls.  Contested balls are not the question here.  Just every so often, someone plain out blows it. That his has hurt Nichols as well.

Defensively, I,look to see if we are in position to challenge. A pass, or in position to make a proper tackle. ...championship teams have defenders that wrap up.  Defences also have to run to the ball and "gang" tackle.. Does the defence emphasize hustle and pride?,or do they stand around and look at each other?

Lastly,,we needmto see some backups.  Harris  needs some time off during games.  We. Can not expect him to get 20 plays and pounded every game and be healthy for the Grey  Cup.  Johnny A in there.

Oh well we. Shall see.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2019, 04:58:12 PM »

Yes we can always play better....but can we not savour this win....just a little?

kkc60

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2019, 05:00:00 PM »

Checkdowns to Harris have always worked, yes. But having your running back also be your #1 receiver is very risky. Especially with some of the suicide throws we have seen. We are in week 9, we need to worry about preserving Harris for later in the year too because wear and tear is a thing.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: