Blue Bombers Forum
September 22, 2020, 09:39:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13
  Print  
Author Topic: A Look At The Receiving Corps - Ed Tait  (Read 19063 times)
Blue In BC

« Reply #120 on: March 12, 2019, 01:21:21 AM »

I understand how it works... but the original poster made it sound like we got Bighill by default, which isn't necessarily the case... any team could, and may, have made a run at Bighill... just because we were the one's to sign him doesn't mean there wasn't interest from one or more other teams...

Very few teams were in dire need of a MLB. That was the point. The Als had Muamba. Lions had Elimimium. Edmonton had Sherritt. Calgary had Singleton. Toronto had Woods.

That's just a start and I eliminated 5 teams that wouldn't have had a need to sign a MLB even as a WIL for $175K just before TC.

Just because talent becomes available it doesn't mean every team will take a run at that player unless it's a particular area of need. Then there's the SMS consideration.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 01:23:31 AM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
blue girl

« Reply #121 on: March 12, 2019, 02:06:59 AM »

I listened to The Bomber special that was on CJOB tonight and Kyle Walters said that they've told Dressler that they are going to be moving on. They are however still interested in Chris Matthews but right now he is still trying to get back to the NFL.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #122 on: March 12, 2019, 02:53:22 AM »

Just found the following on Bighill's Wikipedia page.

New Orleans Saints
Bighill signed a future/reserve contract with the New Orleans Saints on January 4, 2017.[9][10] Bighill drew strongly positive attention for his performance during the Saints training camp and preseason. He was waived on September 2, 2017, and was signed to the Saints' practice squad the next day.[11][12] He was promoted to the active roster on September 11, 2017.[13] He was released the following day,[14] and re-signed to the practice squad on September 14, 2017.[15] He was promoted back to the active roster on October 12, 2017.[16] He was waived again on October 17, 2017 and re-signed to the practice squad.[17] He was promoted back to the active roster on November 18, 2017.[18] He was waived two days later and re-signed to the practice squad. He signed a reserve/future contract with the Saints on January 16, 2018. On May 14, 2018, Bighill was waived by the Saints

No wonder he tired of the NFL, the Saints used him as a Yo Yo!
GCn19

« Reply #123 on: March 12, 2019, 11:21:46 AM »

We got Bighill in 2018 because everyother team other than the BB had a MLB, so the demand wasn't there--we were the only team looking for a MLB, so it was the perfect fit.

We got Bighill in 2019 because we were willing to pay him what he wanted and he was comfortable with our scheme and clubhouse. But we had to restructure salaries elsewhere to make it possible to sign him. Not all teams in this league would do that.Most teams I would say are set at MLB, and as much as Bighill would be an upgrade to what they presently have, they have other roster needs where money has to be spent so they spend it there.

and as much as we like to play the culture card, our culture didn't attract any FA WR to come to Winnipeg....

Our culture didn't lose us any FA WRs either. At the end of the day cash is king.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
GCn19

« Reply #124 on: March 12, 2019, 11:22:33 AM »

I listened to The Bomber special that was on CJOB tonight and Kyle Walters said that they've told Dressler that they are going to be moving on. They are however still interested in Chris Matthews but right now he is still trying to get back to the NFL.

Confirms what most of us suspected I think. Good to know that we still appear to have some elite receiver bank in place, or at the very least the Bomber appear to be willing to make one fit into the SMS.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 11:24:11 AM by GCn18 » Logged

blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #125 on: March 12, 2019, 01:25:34 PM »

We've got a good culture and Winnipeg is a great place to play. It's just not the only one.

That's sort of my point and why I contend the idea Bighill "fell into the lap" of Walters. To me, that term implies nobody had to do any work to get him to sign here - and that is simply untrue. It also does a disservice to the regime, whose dedication has done a lot to turn around this organization and build a perennial winner.

And the fact Bighill chose to remain a Bomber for the next three years only strengthens that argument, IMO. Big fish don't just fall into one's lap. You still have to set the hook.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. Can't quarantine it, either.
TBURGESS

« Reply #126 on: March 12, 2019, 02:26:59 PM »

Bighill came available late. If Durant hadn't taken his bonus and retired, we wouldn't have had the money left in the SMS to afford him. Most, if not all other teams already had a MLB and had spent most of their SMS room. Getting Bighill wasn't great GM'ing. It was mostly luck.

This year, we made him the highest paid defensive player in the league and found him even more money by getting him an off season job. That's good work.

We may have a great place to play, but luck and money are bigger reasons why Bighill is in Winnipeg.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
booch

« Reply #127 on: March 12, 2019, 04:32:02 PM »

when a talent such as Bighill comes available, and it would be a an upgrade over what you already have, then you do what you have to to bring them aboard...just because several teams had a guy slotted in at MLB doesn't mean they were not interested, or couldn't make it work..Biggie came here based on multiple factors not because he was limited in choice.

Save for Cgy and the ratio thing having Singleton every other team would have killed to land him...plain and simple
GCn19

« Reply #128 on: March 12, 2019, 04:35:01 PM »

when a talent such as Bighill comes available, and it would be a an upgrade over what you already have, then you do what you have to to bring them aboard...just because several teams had a guy slotted in at MLB doesn't mean they were not interested, or couldn't make it work..Biggie came here based on multiple factors not because he was limited in choice.

Save for Cgy and the ratio thing having Singleton every other team would have killed to land him...plain and simple

When a player like Bighill came available I am quite certain there were 5 teams minimum calling his agent. Even if you have to make room after the fact to comply with SMS.

GCn19

« Reply #129 on: March 12, 2019, 04:36:39 PM »

Bighill came available late. If Durant hadn't taken his bonus and retired, we wouldn't have had the money left in the SMS to afford him. Most, if not all other teams already had a MLB and had spent most of their SMS room. Getting Bighill wasn't great GM'ing. It was mostly luck.

This year, we made him the highest paid defensive player in the league and found him even more money by getting him an off season job. That's good work.

We may have a great place to play, but luck and money are bigger reasons why Bighill is in Winnipeg.

For most players I would agree with you. However, when a stud like Bighill let's it be known he is interested in a return to the CFL you make room for him. Durant retiring had nothing to do with us signing Bighill. We would have made the room for him no matter what. Other teams would have done the same.

TBURGESS

« Reply #130 on: March 12, 2019, 04:39:45 PM »

Bighill's first choice was likely BC. They didn't have either the money or the need at MLB. If they did, we likely don't even get a chance to bid. We had the biggest need and money to spare. I doubt there were 4 other teams that had both.

Durant's salary off the SMS was huge. Without it, we wouldn't have had the SMS room available to pay Bighill what he was worth.

Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #131 on: March 12, 2019, 04:43:35 PM »

Bighill's first choice was likely BC. They didn't have either the money or the need at MLB. If they did, we likely don't even get a chance to bid. We had the biggest need and money to spare. I doubt there were 4 other teams that had both.

Durant's salary off the SMS was huge. Without it, we wouldn't have had the SMS room available to pay Bighill what he was worth.

I mean, we could have always made room but I'm sure Durant's decision made finding the money easier and less disruptive.
TBURGESS

« Reply #132 on: March 12, 2019, 04:45:04 PM »

I mean, we could have always made room but I'm sure Durant's decision made finding the money easier and less disruptive.
People keep saying that, but the only way to make room is to cut players who are making above the league minimum. Wild? Leggett? Who else comes to mind?

Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #133 on: March 12, 2019, 04:48:14 PM »

People keep saying that, but the only way to make room is to cut players who are making above the league minimum. Wild? Leggett? Who else comes to mind?

I dunno - it's getting pretty hypothetical. Either of the choices may have been made considering neither are with the team anymore and could have forced Walters' hand earlier. There have got to be other imports not on league minimum but it's impossible to say. Perhaps the new CBA will allow for some SMS info to be shared.
Blue In BC

« Reply #134 on: March 12, 2019, 04:52:21 PM »

When a player like Bighill came available I am quite certain there were 5 teams minimum calling his agent. Even if you have to make room after the fact to comply with SMS.

If that happens in February that's probably true. When it happens just before the beginning of TC on May 19, it's beyond likely. Then SMS and actual need at MLB come into play.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 05:00:14 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to: