Dru Brown traded

Started by theaardvark, January 18, 2024, 07:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

Well, at least we got a pick for him... wish him well...

And then we sign a new prospect, with USFL experience...

https://www.bluebombers.com/2024/01/18/blue-bombers-add-quarterback-to-roster/
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

VictorRomano

Quote from: theaardvark on January 18, 2024, 07:56:05 PMAnd then we sign a new prospect, with USFL experience...

https://www.bluebombers.com/2024/01/18/blue-bombers-add-quarterback-to-roster/

Apparently this guy threw for 800yds in a single game in college?

Pigskin

I like this move by the Bombers. Dru was on his way out the door, glad we got something for him.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

ModAdmin

Blue Bombers acquire fifth round selection in 2024 trade with Ottawa

WINNIPEG, MB., January 18, 2024 – The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has acquired Ottawa's fifth round selection in the 2024 CFL Draft, in exchange for American quarterback Dru Brown. Brown was scheduled to become a free agent next month.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Lincoln Locomotive

Good luck in Ottawa Dru.....it was inevitable given that signed Zach until 25'.     We got something in return which may or may not amount to anything....
Bomber fan for life

TecnoGenius

I know these types of just-before-FA trades happen a lot, but how does this work again for OTT?  Dru still will become FA in just a short while, no?  And OTT still has to woo, convince him he likes it there, and sign him, no?

Kind of like when BLM was "traded" to HAM?

So, does this ever not work out for the acquiring team?  Has someone done this then lost the player a couple of weeks later?

Or is that 5th DP conditional upon him signing in FA?

I wish Dru well (but hope he sucks when OTT plays WPG).  If he's the next Tom Brady we can always try to get him back in FA 2026.

P.S. This may free up Piggy... who may make a good dev guy / #2 / injury backup.  Note: not SY guy!  No sneaks for Piggy!  Prukop would have to stay as SY.  Piggy looked good when in as "real" QB.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Wow, I just saw on 3down that OTT is picking up Rhymes and have Addison (how did I forget that?).  Plus if they get Schoen, they could be looking at a legit WR corps and pretty good Dru-led air attack.

That would be great if by labor day OTT could challenge TOR/MTL for wins.
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 19, 2024, 05:03:21 AMWow, I just saw on 3down that OTT is picking up Rhymes and have Addison (how did I forget that?).  Plus if they get Schoen, they could be looking at a legit WR corps and pretty good Dru-led air attack.

That would be great if by labor day OTT could challenge TOR/MTL for wins.

We all say Ottawa "wins" the off season every year. But they are going to have to figure out who there core is and build around them for a couple of seasons if they actually want to turn this around.
My wife is amazing!

buckzumhoff

Collaros cant get out of the pocket. Team is getting older not younger. I think collaros peaked a couple years ago. He is still good but it will be tougher to win games. If he gets injured then they have no back up unless streveller signs.

blue_gold_84

Pretty much expected considering how much interest the RedBlacks were reported to have in Brown.

Should be a very good opportunity for him to compete for a starter's role.
#forthew
лава Україні!
What a wretched timeline.

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 19, 2024, 04:29:24 AMI know these types of just-before-FA trades happen a lot, but how does this work again for OTT?  Dru still will become FA in just a short while, no?  And OTT still has to woo, convince him he likes it there, and sign him, no?

So, does this ever not work out for the acquiring team?  Has someone done this then lost the player a couple of weeks later?

I wish Dru well (but hope he sucks when OTT plays WPG).  If he's the next Tom Brady we can always try to get him back in FA 2026.

P.S. This may free up Piggy... who may make a good dev guy / #2 / injury backup.  Note: not SY guy!  No sneaks for Piggy!  Prukop would have to stay as SY.  Piggy looked good when in as "real" QB.

It usually works out for the team acquiring a potential free agent before the actual deadline. It's not written in stone though. Brown still has the option of waiting until free agency or a week before to see what other offers might be.

Realistically there aren't many places he would have a chance to start. Money might be higher elsewhere but he wants to start.

It's 50/50 whether he signs a new contract before free agency date IMO.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Maybe things shake out that the WFC is his best place to land... and he signs here.

Not likely, but "you're saying there's a chance" level of maybe...

Trading guys before FA for a small return does help clarify situations.  We no longer are wringing our hands over "Can we sign him".  Ott has to sign him before FA, and therefore may pay a premium, which means less to snag Schoen, etc. 

It will be interested to see how Dru does with the Ott Oline, and whether Ott has cash to upgrade there as well as QB, WR and RB... and what happens to their D?
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 19, 2024, 04:29:24 AMI know these types of just-before-FA trades happen a lot, but how does this work again for OTT?  Dru still will become FA in just a short while, no?  And OTT still has to woo, convince him he likes it there, and sign him, no?

From what I can recall the only pre-FA trade that didn't workout was when Calgary traded Arbuckle to Ottawa. He couldn't reach contract agreement with Marcel Desjardins and his rights got flipped to the Argos somehow.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 19, 2024, 04:27:11 PMFrom what I can recall the only pre-FA trade that didn't workout was when Calgary traded Arbuckle to Ottawa. He couldn't reach contract agreement with Marcel Desjardins and his rights got flipped to the Argos somehow.

Arbuckle was under contract (https://www.cfl.ca/2020/01/31/redblacks-sign-nick-arbuckle/) but got released after the RedBlacks scooped up Nichols in late Jan. 2021 (https://www.cfl.ca/2021/01/31/redblacks-sign-nichols-release-arbuckle/).

I have no doubt LaPolice campaigned hard to get the latter. One of Desjardins' costly blunders as GM.
#forthew
лава Україні!
What a wretched timeline.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: buckzumhoff on January 19, 2024, 11:48:11 AMCollaros cant get out of the pocket. Team is getting older not younger. I think collaros peaked a couple years ago. He is still good but it will be tougher to win games. If he gets injured then they have no back up unless streveller signs.

If true, then he can just become Ricky Ray.  Ray never left the pocket in his last few years.  He made some amazing passes standing in there right until the last second and he got pasted.  There's something to be said for knowing you are not / will not / can not scramble.  Then you find a way to make the pass.

Ray won at least one more GC in that state.  So can Collaros.  (However, I disagree with your premise, as I think he's still laterally mobile.)
Never go full Rider!