BLUE BOMBERS RE-SIGN SHAYNE GUATHIER

Started by Blueforlife, February 12, 2024, 01:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dd

This signing is much like Thomas's signing- another role player, NAT depth player, nothing more, nothing less.

Pete

Good signing, a player we can slot in throughout the game and trust to play well. A nice under the radar signing

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on February 12, 2024, 10:27:13 PMHe served the team well but he clearly was on the downside the last couple of years. It was time to move on and we have to find some roster space for a couple of 2024 draft choices.

He's the Miles of this year.  It happens to them all, especially aging mostly-STer NATs.  They are actually lucky, they seem to get to hang around 3-6 seasons longer than similar IMPs.

Briggs, I think, was more on the IQ/organization side of things the last couple of seasons than the athletic/speed side.

Does this now make Gauthier the oldest/vet-ist mostly-STer on the roster?

I thank Briggs for his service, he was always solid, and one of those "glue" pieces that keep things stable behind the scenes.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 13, 2024, 01:30:11 AMHe's the Miles of this year.  It happens to them all, especially aging mostly-STer NATs.  They are actually lucky, they seem to get to hang around 3-6 seasons longer than similar IMPs.

Briggs, I think, was more on the IQ/organization side of things the last couple of seasons than the athletic/speed side.

Does this now make Gauthier the oldest/vet-ist mostly-STer on the roster?

I thank Briggs for his service, he was always solid, and one of those "glue" pieces that keep things stable behind the scenes.

I agree that Briggs has a high football IQ and was a veteran leader on the team. I don't know if he has any interest in coaching but it might be a place we see him back. Gauthier as well is a team kind of guy that plays an important role.

As I said, we have 10 draft choices and 2 or 3 might make the AR. Depends on injuries in TC but that is all part of succession on any roster. There will be some nominal SMS savings as older role players depart but it's more about developing draft choices.

Usually we see a couple return for another college season, a few make the AR or IR and a few end up on the PR in season 1.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on February 13, 2024, 03:10:06 PMI agree that Briggs has a high football IQ and was a veteran leader on the team. I don't know if he has any interest in coaching but it might be a place we see him back. Gauthier as well is a team kind of guy that plays an important role.

As I said, we have 10 draft choices and 2 or 3 might make the AR. Depends on injuries in TC but that is all part of succession on any roster. There will be some nominal SMS savings as older role players depart but it's more about developing draft choices.

Usually we see a couple return for another college season, a few make the AR or IR and a few end up on the PR in season 1.

I would guess half the draft picks are cut, never to be heard from again.

kkc60

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 13, 2024, 04:15:24 PMI would guess half the draft picks are cut, never to be heard from again.
there's been some rough drafting lately, hopefully this year goes a bit better

blue_gold_84

Quote from: kkc60 on February 13, 2024, 04:24:36 PMthere's been some rough drafting lately, hopefully this year goes a bit better

Since 2020, the team has selected Hallett, O'Leary-Orange, Cadwallader, Dobson, Kramdi, Ford, Bennett.

What's been rough about the drafting?
#forthew
лава Україні!
What a wretched timeline.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 13, 2024, 04:15:24 PMI would guess half the draft picks are cut, never to be heard from again.

Half would be a little high. We have 5 on our roster that were drafted in 2023. Many spent most of the year on the PR, but they are still around.

IDK how good / bad the 2024 draft crop is or what direction we choose to draft.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

kkc60

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on February 13, 2024, 04:33:06 PMSince 2020, the team has selected Hallett, O'Leary-Orange, Cadwallader, Dobson, Kramdi, Ford, Bennett.

What's been rough about the drafting?
Outside of Kramdi and Cadwallader, what have any of those guys really done? Dobson has potential, but he was also a first round pick so I would hope he shows something. Our lack of drafting success led to 2 DI spots going to LBs for STs and one to a fullback because our other one on the roster (Burtenshaw) couldn't even crack the roster on STs

Blue In BC

Quote from: kkc60 on February 13, 2024, 05:17:11 PMOutside of Kramdi and Cadwallader, what have any of those guys really done? Dobson has potential, but he was also a first round pick so I would hope he shows something. Our lack of drafting success led to 2 DI spots going to LBs for STs and one to a fullback because our other one on the roster (Burtenshaw) couldn't even crack the roster on STs

Hallett has bbeen pretty good when he's played at safety. Ford looked really good but had an NFL dream to chase. Some have suggested he might be good enough to start at CB if he returns.

BTW. We drafted Oliveria in 2021. How did that work out for you?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

kkc60

Quote from: Blue In BC on February 13, 2024, 05:21:55 PMHallett has bbeen pretty good when he's played at safety. Ford looked really good but had an NFL dream to chase. Some have suggested he might be good enough to start at CB if he returns.

BTW. We drafted Oliveria in 2021. How did that work out for you?
I'm assuming when he put Hallett he was referencing Noah, since he shared a class with Kramdi and Dobson.

Did I say every draft pick has been bad? No. Drafting is a crapshoot a good chunk of the time, but guys like Miller, Briggs and Exume need to be properly replaced. 

Blue In BC

Quote from: kkc60 on February 13, 2024, 05:26:09 PMI'm assuming when he put Hallett he was referencing Noah, since he shared a class with Kramdi and Dobson.

Did I say every draft pick has been bad? No. Drafting is a crapshoot a good chunk of the time, but guys like Miller, Briggs and Exume need to be properly replaced. 

I get it. I'm anti ratio but it is what it is. I'd be fine with increasing the number of imports ( as DI's?) and reducing the number of Canadian back ups.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

blue_gold_84

Quote from: kkc60 on February 13, 2024, 05:17:11 PMOutside of Kramdi and Cadwallader, what have any of those guys really done?

Don't move the goalposts.

Quote from: Blue In BC on February 13, 2024, 05:21:55 PMBTW. We drafted Oliveria in 2021. How did that work out for you?

Oliveira was drafted in 2019.
#forthew
лава Україні!
What a wretched timeline.

kkc60

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on February 13, 2024, 05:47:04 PMDon't move the goalposts.

Oliveira was drafted in 2019.
I didn't. That's two players from one draft class. It's too soon to say anything about this past class, and I have hope for Dobson but we had no servicable canadians to step in when Gauthier and Briggs missed time, not to mention when we lost Miller for the year too.