Blue Bombers add defensive end to roster & Jeffcoat retiring

Started by ModAdmin, February 09, 2024, 03:14:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waffler

I look at it as they were just not sure what they can do, waiting for Schoen and Oliveira. There's a 20 page thread about that. Turns out they sign both and there can't be much left, so what are they going to say to Jeffcoat? By the time we know where we are he is already testing the waters of free agency. Perhaps they were going to talk after the tampering window closes. I don't know.

The thing it has in common with Harris is that the Bombers are probably unsure about his health going forward. What they accomplished until now is not in dispute. Jeffcoat played great when he played but he probably also led the team in practices missed last year.  I think of injured guys that played in Grey Cups, Collaras 2 years ago, Schoen and Bighill, they did not play near what they can healthy and if you are honest it was not good enough. It's the only thing I can think of since we show in every other way we want the same team back. Not sure about that approach, time will tell, but they say if you're not getting better you are getting worse. I see other teams getting better and would not be surprised if the Western final is in BC this time.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: ModAdmin on February 10, 2024, 01:47:26 AMThere also was a fair bit of fan criticism of JJ94's performance and missed games last year and Jackson's wife was not impressed by those comments.  Not sure if that also played into his decision to retire.  It's the "what have you done lately" syndrome - a bit unfair because Jackson put his heart and soul into playing for the Bombers over the years.
What are you saying? Are we supposed to not criticize players on here because if there wives will come on here and be unhappy with the constructive criticism? :-\
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

GOLDMEMBER

Jeffcoat's comments are scathing

If the BB ghosted him that isn't right.

ModAdmin

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on February 10, 2024, 02:49:13 PMWhat are you saying? Are we supposed to not criticize players on here because if there wives will come on here and be unhappy with the constructive criticism? :-\

Not saying it is wrong to criticize players' performances. Just pointing out that, in this case, that family of said player did not appreciate some of the comments and that may have had some bearing on his retirement decision.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Pigskin

I don't recall anyone criticizing JJ94 for his play or commitment to the team. He's one of the best DEs in the CFL. I think most of the talk was about his injury probably. Only played 78 games out of a possible 104. So basically 25% of his career was in the tub. Good Luck JJ94 with your retirement.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

The Zipp

The pool is pretty shallow for CFL experienced D Lineman...Oakman still out there...overall the number of dominant D lineman signed with teams is pretty low.

I still think (and I know it's revisionist theory) but if Walter's signed Lemon last season we win the Grey Cup. 

Jesse

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on February 10, 2024, 03:14:42 PMJeffcoat's comments are scathing

If the BB ghosted him that isn't right.

How are they scathing? He's a little disappointed he wasn't higher on our priority list.

Let's not make this bigger than it really is.
My wife is amazing!

dd

The solution is simple, go get Oakman and move on. The guy is a young, upcoming beast and would look very good in blue and gold!!

Jesse

Quote from: dd on February 10, 2024, 07:26:19 PMThe solution is simple, go get Oakman and move on. The guy is a young, upcoming beast and would look very good in blue and gold!!

I think the solution is to find rookies playing for the minimum.
My wife is amazing!

dd

You're right, the piggie bank is empty, so we'll rely on a rook to come in and make an impact, which is a long shot at best. And we didn't get any stud DT coming in to get pressure from the interior.

The days of pressure from both sides getting to the Qb are over, and our secondary is going to be put to the hot seat now more than ever.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: dd on February 10, 2024, 07:26:19 PMThe solution is simple, go get Oakman and move on. The guy is a young, upcoming beast and would look very good in blue and gold!!
I would love to see Oakman here but if they sign him thus preventing us getting say a Castillo then no. We need a great kicker still.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on February 10, 2024, 08:09:35 PMI would love to see Oakman here but if they sign him thus preventing us getting say a Castillo then no. We need a great kicker still.

Surprised Castillo has not been signed yet, don't see many other options for him in the CFL, but maybe he's considering other leagues.

theaardvark

Dlinemen seem to get to spped in the CFL a lot quicker than Olinemen. 

D is about disruption, disorder, disharmony.  Its an individual effort, but is enhanced over time by knowing how much you can "cheat" on your duties or have to adapt because of the teammates around you.

Oline is a ballet of synchronized effort.  Olines gel over time, as they figure out their place and steps in the flow of each play.  Knowing the play of the guy on either side of you is very important to your execution.

Bringing in rookie Dlinemen shouldn't be anywhere near as hard as Olinemen.  I am confident in our scouts to fill the vacant D spots as they have always done.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 10, 2024, 08:36:21 PMSurprised Castillo has not been signed yet, don't see many other options for him in the CFL, but maybe he's considering other leagues.

Or considering the Jeffcoat way...  it all depends on his non-football career path.

Right now, its a buyers market for P/K.  Liram coming back into the league means 10 kickers for 9 jobs. 

Castillo might just wait for the market to change, due to retirement, performance or injury.  No reason for him to rush to sign a team friendly deal.  I hate the fact, but he's smart to wait until his price is met, or until there is a spike in demand.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pigskin

Oakman 6'9"/Jefferson 6'7" the twin towers. I also think Pete Robertson still mite be out there.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.