Who is untouchable with the rebuild?

Started by Blueforlife, October 04, 2026, 02:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RebusRankin

Brady+Smith+Kramdi are really our only strong Canadians going forward. Demski is great but aging (33 in December). Wallace is ok but inconsistent. Neufeld is solid but up there. Lawson is average. Not much else in the pipeline. Huge issue going forward.

Tecno

Quote from: RebusRankin on Today at 01:05:25 AMBrady+Smith+Kramdi are really our only strong Canadians going forward. Demski is great but aging (33 in December). Wallace is ok but inconsistent. Neufeld is solid but up there. Lawson is average. Not much else in the pipeline. Huge issue going forward.

Mostly agreed.  But I'd rate Lawson more than average, and a keeper as long as he doesn't get pricey.  He's not another Fatboi.  Maybe more like a Laurent (eventually)?

If I was GM I'd have every OL be the league best, and Wallace would move back to jumbo, where he was actually good.  Either that or obtain a top mobile QB.

Agreed Smith is a bright spot.  I see no reason he can't become our full-time starter in '27.
Never go full Johnston!

VictorRomano

#47
To me, what I see as needed in the rebuild:

Firstly:  On the coaching side, a different OC and different DC.  Younger has had plenty of time to show why we spent big dollars to keep him from going elsewhere.  Time for him to sh!t or get off the pot.  Our D scheming has not been great, but part of our failure is on the lack of talent as well.  Condell, on the other hand, has been a disaster most games - waaaay too many questionable play calls and a very vanilla offence.  I'd also argue that our scouting can improve.  We used to be able to find great players from our US camps - key word being "used to".  This year, we haven't found many, other than Williams and Perkins.

1.  RT, C and at least 1 G.  Our OL sucks - period.  If we decide Zach and Stanley (and possibly Neuf) are done, that frees up some solid cash to go get a couple of top-dollar OL and sign them to 3 year deals.  That's where the O's success starts and ends.

2.  A big, good hands, over-the-middle reciever who we can count on for 5-10 yards on crossing routes.  I think we can all agree Neild was supposed to be that guy and hasn't lived up to the hype.  Clercius and Cobb aren't it, either.

3.  All the DB's we can find.  Like, all of them.  Williams, Kramdi and Holm are gonna stick around, but everyone else can (and should) be upgraded.

4. 1 more top-end DL; either a power DT to compliment Ceresna and stuff the run, or a edge who can create havok in the backfield like Willie and Jeffcoat used to back in the glory days.

5.  A WIL who is not Jones.  Jones *should* be our MLB.  He was well above average there last year.  Moving him to WIL and letting KW play MLB this year was a mistake, I think, and we constantly give up big runs right up the gut this year.  I'd be OK with Jones staying at WIL if we were to go out and get us a bonafied, experienced stud MLB like Biggie, though.

6.  A new QB, although I'd personally have no problem seeing what Brown or Perkins can do with a OL that can actually block.  Perkins seems to have both mobility and a decent arm, and has had a year to learn the game; if Brown is not the answer, give Perkins the role and see what he can do.  If we get bounced out of a playoff spot, I'd actually prefer we give him the final game and let the man cook; let's see what he can serve up with when given control of the kitchen.

Blue In BC

Quote from: VictorRomano on Today at 03:16:28 PMTo me, what I see as needed in the rebuild:

1.  RT, C and at least 1 G.  Our OL sucks.  If we decide Zach and Stanley are done, that frees up some solid cash to go get a couple of top-dollar OL and sign them to 3 year deals.  That's where the O's success starts and ends.

2.  A big, good hands, over-the-middle reciever who we can count on for 5-10 yards.

3.  All the DB's we can find.  Like, all of them.  Williams, Kramdi and Holm are gonna stick around, but everyone else can (and should) be upgraded.

4. 1 more top-end DL; either a DT to stuff the run, or a edge who can create havok.

5.  A SAM who is not Jones.  Jones should be the MLB.  He was above average there last year.  Moving him to SAM and letting KW play MLB this year was a mistake, I think, we constantly give up big runs right up the gut this year.  I'd be OK with Jones staying at SAM if we were to go out and get us a bonafied stud MLB like Biggie, though.

6.   A new QB, although I'd personally have no problem seeing what Brown or Perkins can do with a OL that can actually block.  Perkins seems to have both mobility and a decent arm; if Brown is not the answer, give Perkins the role and see what he can do.  If we get bounced out of a playoff spot, I'd actually prefer we give him the final game and let the man cook.


Jones was our WIL.
One game at a time

VictorRomano


Blue In BC

Quote from: VictorRomano on Today at 03:27:01 PMSorry, I stand corrected.

No problem but I think we need a new MLB that is better suited at the role than Jones. Jones was moved partially because he's not great in coverage roles across the middle like Bighill for example. He's better than average at WIL.

I think Smith and Shay are both potential free agents. We need to retain Smith but what the plan is going for forward at SAM of MLB is uncertain. Before Griffin was injured I thought Smith could be the future at MLB.

Griffin is also a potential free agent. So it's all just a another question going into 2027.



One game at a time

Blue In BC

#51
Looking at the potential roster string, it looks like we have about the usual 25 or so potential free agents. 15 on that list are Canadians so that's a bit of a concern at the moment.

The list may not be entirely accurate but that's a starting point to even consider who might be a trade asset.

Wallace, Neufeld, Peterson, Cobb, Clercius, Shay, Smith, Hallett, Vibert, Novak, Ball, Chris-Ike, Corcoran, Leroux and Kelly.
One game at a time

peg_city

Tecno is untouchable.

The rest of you on the other hand.....

Blueforlife

I would bring Griffin back at the right price