Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at Montreal - October 26, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, October 25, 2024, 06:24:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TBURGESS

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 27, 2024, 03:59:03 PMMaybe the right play call in hindsight, problem is nobody thought of it beforehand and you can't play football prepared for the worst case scenario in every situation, the game is already complicated enough.  Sometimes **** happens.
It was the right play in foresight too. Tell your returner to keep it in the endzone to get the 40 yards. That's the coaches job. 
Quote from: J5V on October 27, 2024, 04:59:32 PMThe key to it all was insisting on having the wind at our backs in the 4th. Without that decision none of this happens. Whether intellectual brilliance, or a gut feeling, or pure set-in-his-ways stubborness, give O'Shea a pat on the back for that decision. It meant everything and again, without it, none of this happens. Thanks coach!
You call it insisting on having the wind in the 4th. I call it winning the coin toss. 
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

gobombersgo

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

J5V

Go Bombers!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: gobombersgo on October 27, 2024, 06:20:53 AMThere are 2 timeouts per team for the whole game.

Both Mtl and Wpg had 2 timeouts at the 3 minute warning so they both lost 1.

Yes, the key point here is the CFL allows for the use of only 1 timeout per team after teh 3 min warning (3MW) in the 4th Q.

If you have 0 TO going into the 3MW, you stay at 0.
If you have 1 TO going into the 3MW, you stay at 1.
If you have 2 TO going into the 3MW, you magically lose one and are left with 1.

I'm not sure the last time these TO rules changed... but they are different than they used to be, and markedly different from the NFL.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: gobombersgo on October 27, 2024, 03:15:52 PMThere is no guarantee that the ball would have bounced into the endzone. If they didn't catch the ball they would have likely have been pinned deap in their own end.

Quote from: TBURGESS on October 27, 2024, 03:47:01 PMHe caught the ball on the 2 yard line. It would have gone into the endzone for sure.

TB is right: it would have gone in the EZ.  The only reason we ever see balls drop at the 5 and not go in is because they are punts where the punter is purposely putting backspin on the ball!

In this instance it's a FG attempt, and no such "punter tricks" are being applied to the ball motion.  And especially in this case, Castillo is in "maximum distance" mode which is maximum forward-spin.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: TBURGESS on October 27, 2024, 05:27:43 PMIt was the right play in foresight too. Tell your returner to keep it in the endzone to get the 40 yards. That's the coaches job. You call it insisting on having the wind in the 4th. I call it winning the coin toss.

But almost every team takes the ball almost every game when winning the toss.  MOS is unique in that he will take the wind when there's any hint of wind strength, or a forecast of a stronger wind in the 4th.

Other HCs will take the wind sometimes, but only when it's clearly very windy.  And even then many still want the ball.
Never go full Rider!

dd

I d take wind over ball any day for the 4th quarter. You can argue you get first possession, but not necessarily 1 more possession than your opponent, but guarantee in the 4th quarter/the longer quarter due to 3 min stop time, the wind is always your friend and trumps first possession everytime.