Winnipeg @ Montreal pre-game discussion.

Started by Pigskin, October 13, 2024, 07:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blueforlife

We need to clean up our mistakes and protect Zach and we win.  Won't be easy.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pigskin on October 13, 2024, 09:32:44 PMGriffin to the one game IR, and McGhee to the AR. McGhee was the favorite to make the roster out of TC.

I was surprised when McGhee didn't make the AR.  I thought he was the best looking rookie DB in the PS.  Bonds has worked out great, though, so I'm not complaining.  But imagine if McGhee is as good or better?  That would be awesome.

Wasn't Griffin backing up SAM on the chart?  So McGhee, who I think played exclusively at "real" DB will be the backup SAM, or we'll have an extra "real" DB?

I guess if we're facing Alexander for any length of time, having more DB help makes sense.  That dude will chuck that thing all night with no fear and not a care in the world.  And he knows if he runs for a TD OOB the refs & command have his back  :D  :D  :D

Even though Fletcher is a good RB, he's been severely underused for at least half a season now.  With our good run D, I would expect a pass-heavy game plan from MTL.  Though the weather may dictate that somewhat.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 14, 2024, 04:57:30 AMI was surprised when McGhee didn't make the AR.  I thought he was the best looking rookie DB in the PS.  Bonds has worked out great, though, so I'm not complaining.  But imagine if McGhee is as good or better?  That would be awesome.

Wasn't Griffin backing up SAM on the chart?  So McGhee, who I think played exclusively at "real" DB will be the backup SAM, or we'll have an extra "real" DB?

I guess if we're facing Alexander for any length of time, having more DB help makes sense.  That dude will chuck that thing all night with no fear and not a care in the world.  And he knows if he runs for a TD OOB the refs & command have his back  :D  :D  :D

Even though Fletcher is a good RB, he's been severely underused for at least half a season now.  With our good run D, I would expect a pass-heavy game plan from MTL.  Though the weather may dictate that somewhat.

If BA is out for the remainder, I hope Younger considers rearranging the deck chairs to cover for the lack of experience Kelly and the Hallet boys have at Safety as there shouldn't be a ratio issue. They simply can't roll into the GC game with a huge question mark in the middle of the secondary in what is likely to be a tight game were even one easy TD given up may be one too much. The youngsters can learn the position next season with less consequences, they only have 2 games left to make adjustments and get it right if they need to.

ModAdmin

Quote from: J5V on October 13, 2024, 09:24:17 PMWhy would you doubt it? If I was them there is no way I'd have my #1 QB playing against a team that'll be hungry for a win in a game that means nothing for Montreal.

Because I don't think it is wise to sit your starting QB for 2 weeks in a row just prior to the playoffs and expect him to come back rust free and pick up (him and the entire offence) where he left off.  One playoff loss and you're out.  Too much of a risk.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Jesse

Quote from: J5V on October 14, 2024, 12:15:26 AMJust to keep him sharp in real game action? Still sounds risky.

I don't get that attitude.

Way riskier play is having a guy sit for a month before the play-offs.
My wife is amazing!

Pigskin

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 14, 2024, 06:17:00 AMIf BA is out for the remainder, I hope Younger considers rearranging the deck chairs to cover for the lack of experience Kelly and the Hallet boys have at Safety as there shouldn't be a ratio issue. They simply can't roll into the GC game with a huge question mark in the middle of the secondary in what is likely to be a tight game were even one easy TD given up may be one too much. The youngsters can learn the position next season with less consequences, they only have 2 games left to make adjustments and get it right if they need to.

I was surprised that Kelly started at safety over Nick Hallett.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pigskin on October 14, 2024, 03:25:53 PMI was surprised that Kelly started at safety over Nick Hallett.

Hallet has been burned for a couple of TD's directly, he does not seem to be that good in one on one coverage, maybe Kelly is better, but I don't think playoff games are the time to find out. I guess as long as BA is back for the playoffs this won't be an issue.

J5V

Quote from: Jesse on October 14, 2024, 02:35:07 PMI don't get that attitude.

Kelly sat for 9 weeks. Doesn't seem to have hurt his game. Same with Trevor Harris who was out a while with injury, and Fajardo, same thing. I'm not sure it works like that. Probably depends on the player and his ability to stay focused.

I'm thinking about a QB getting Marino'd in a nothing game by a dirt bag looking to be a hero. We know they're out there.  :( 
Go Bombers!

dd

Agreed. You can limit your 'risk' when playing to simply just get rid of the ball when nothings there. Take your 5 or 7 step drop, and boom, ball is out to your reciever, nothing there, throw it away. You're working on timing with the recievers, that's it. Let you guy sit for 2-3 weeks will be disasterous....look how long it took Collaros to get on track at the first of this season. Montreal is not going to do that with Fajardo.

J5V

I'm clearly out-numbered here so I'll drop it for now but I still don't see the "risk" of resting your starter(s) vs putting them out there in harms way in a game that means nothing. The risk vs reward just doesn't add up for me.
Go Bombers!

Sir Blue and Gold

For the record, Chad Kelly's first game back:

24 of 39 (61%) for 322 yards, 0 TD 1 INT.

If that's Zach's statline in the West Final it might not go well for us.

TecnoGenius

If you sit a guy in garbage season and he develops rust, then there is hope in the middle of the playoff game he can shake off that rust and get back to form.

If you start a guy in garbage season and he develops an injury, then there is no hope in the middle of the playoff game because you're starting a rookie.

I agree with J5V.  Rest them every time.

And MOS has shown in every previous year when we had the luxury of "garbage season" that he agrees.  He didn't start Zach.

If you're that antsy about it, you start your star QB and he plays a quarter, just like PS.
Never go full Rider!

Blueforlife

Quote from: J5V on October 14, 2024, 09:18:44 PMI'm clearly out-numbered here so I'll drop it for now but I still don't see the "risk" of resting your starter(s) vs putting them out there in harms way in a game that means nothing. The risk vs reward just doesn't add up for me.
I agree with you.  A good vet can shake off rust but can't shake off a massive hit at the wrong time of the year.  It's a hard decision but I am all for rest this time of year.  Health is #1 this time of year imo.  Never drop it just because you are out numbered.  We are all here to voice our opinions and yours is valid even if many don't agree.  Thanks for sharing.  Flip the coin and there is merit going in hot and ready.  Fine line but when your have a old club I like rest.

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on October 14, 2024, 11:19:20 PMFor the record, Chad Kelly's first game back:

24 of 39 (61%) for 322 yards, 0 TD 1 INT.

If that's Zach's statline in the West Final it might not go well for us.

I don't get the comparison.  One has limited experience and the other has been with the same club for a very long time.  I don't see how this connection has anything to do with what we could or would expect out of Zach.  Kelly is a good QB that is still learning.  Zach has had one of the best runs ever at QB for this club and is a great veteran QB.  Kelly has shown flashes of brilliance but its not consistent (yet). 

Situations are much different as well.  End of season is a much different scenario.  Zach is a calm proven leader that can deal with adversity.  Kelly appears to need to work on his emotions and is still developing his mental side of the game.  Zach been with the same club and offense for a very long time, Kelly would be very familiar with his surroundings but has had less time to hone his craft with the same group.

A good vet can shake off rust quickly.

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 14, 2024, 11:51:03 PMIf you sit a guy in garbage season and he develops rust, then there is hope in the middle of the playoff game he can shake off that rust and get back to form.

If you start a guy in garbage season and he develops an injury, then there is no hope in the middle of the playoff game because you're starting a rookie.

I agree with J5V.  Rest them every time.

And MOS has shown in every previous year when we had the luxury of "garbage season" that he agrees.  He didn't start Zach.

If you're that antsy about it, you start your star QB and he plays a quarter, just like PS.

Agree all but MOS has also shown his stubbornness in keeping vets in too long when games are already out of hand (we up big). 

I believe our success for this year's playoffs is mostly to do with being as healthy as possible.  Get through next game clean and find some magic healing potions for the guys that are nicked.  We are an old club that needs our vets healthy to win.  Would be a real pleasure to watch this club in the playoffs as healthy as possible as the talent we have when that is the case is very strong.

peg_city

I was thinking that if we don't win this game after a week off, playing an opponent that has nothing to play for, our team isn't good enough to win the Grey Cup.

This should be a win.

Blueforlife

Quote from: peg_city on October 15, 2024, 03:33:51 PMI was thinking that if we don't win this game after a week off, playing an opponent that has nothing to play for, our team isn't good enough to win the Grey Cup.

This should be a win.
I don't agree.  Yes a win is nice but our playoff success isn't based on one game.  It's based on our long history of excellence.