Return Game

Started by LXTSN, October 10, 2024, 02:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LXTSN

Did we bring Lucky Whitehead in just for kick returns? At the time we signed him, we were running dangerously short on WR's and he fit the system great! I thought we could use him on jet sweeps and crossing/underneath routes. He is not a very talented returner. It's the most frustrating thing to watch him let the punt bounce twice before he catches it. Sometimes it makes sense to let it bounce but there are times where no one is around and he waits for guys to get closer.

Kody Case I think could fill the Whitehead role very well of KR and back up WR. He would also have the potential to crack the roster next season.

Whitehead:
Kick returns - 20.9 yard average on 17 attempts
Punt returns - 10.2 yard average on 35 attempts

Kody Case:
Kick returns - 25.2 yard average on 6 attempts
Punt returns - 10.5 yard average on 24 attempts

I don't really care how the Bombers spend their money if they are under the salary cap, but I just feel like the talents Lucky has are not being put to use.

Sir Blue and Gold

Interesting numbers. Case is a slightly more efficient kick router and punt returns are a wash. Lucky has a big advantage of being a plug and play back up receiver though and in the CFL's small roster set up that is very helpful. I think they will go a different direction at returner next year but Lucky's been good enough and a helpful receiver as well. Makes it hard for Case if since he's not substantially better.

Waffler

Close enough that I would go with the veteran. However I still feel the problem is not returner. If you watch for potential paths to open space there just doesn't seem to be any. Be that coaching or players, I do not know. 
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

LXTSN

Quote from: Waffler on October 10, 2024, 02:57:09 PMClose enough that I would go with the veteran. However I still feel the problem is not returner. If you watch for potential paths to open space there just doesn't seem to be any. Be that coaching or players, I do not know. 
That is probably a big part of it, but we have seen that having an elite returner (or RB) can make mediocre blocking look good!
This is not really a problem, but I would personally like to see what we have in Case rather than trot out Lucky.

blue_gold_84

I think Whitehead's versatility benefits the roster more than anything.

And with the receiving corps now mostly healthy, he's a luxury on offense as a potential plug-and-play piece, while also still contributing on special teams.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

LXTSN

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on October 10, 2024, 02:46:57 PMInteresting numbers. Case is a slightly more efficient kick router and punt returns are a wash. Lucky has a big advantage of being a plug and play back up receiver though and in the CFL's small roster set up that is very helpful. I think they will go a different direction at returner next year but Lucky's been good enough and a helpful receiver as well. Makes it hard for Case if since he's not substantially better.
That's fair but they haven't used him really as a WR (but I agree that they should more). He has 3 catches on 4 targets for 17 yards over the last 6 games.
I don't know that Case is substantially better as a returner but he is better without doubt. Shouldn't we be putting our best players on the field?

blue_gold_84

Quote from: LXTSN on October 10, 2024, 03:06:18 PMShouldn't we be putting our best players on the field?

I think they're doing exactly that already.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

LXTSN

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on October 10, 2024, 03:08:07 PMI think they're doing exactly that already.
If you feel that Whitehead is performing better in his role than Case would, that you're right! That's just the point we disagree on.

Jesse

Quote from: LXTSN on October 10, 2024, 04:40:38 PMIf you feel that Whitehead is performing better in his role than Case would, that you're right! That's just the point we disagree on.

Case hasn't shown anything yet that would make me believe different, but the position isn't just returner, it's back-up receiver. And if our offensive struggles for much of this year has shown us anything, it's really nice having a vet that can plug in, as opposed to putting a fourth rookie into the receiving line-up.
My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: LXTSN on October 10, 2024, 04:40:38 PMIf you feel that Whitehead is performing better in his role than Case would, that you're right! That's just the point we disagree on.

Apples to apples, I think it's reasonable to conclude that Whitehead is the better option. The difference in terms of stats on returns is negligible, especially when weighed against his versatility and experience.

Maybe Case improves and becomes the better option on returns next season or later. In the meantime, I can see why the team continues to go with Whitehead.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

theaardvark

As aomeone previously mentioned. 

8-0 since Whilethead took over PR/KR duties...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on October 10, 2024, 05:07:25 PMAs aomeone previously mentioned. 

8-0 since Whilethead took over PR/KR duties...

#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

Waffler

"I think Mike's an awesome leader," head coach Mike O'Shea
said of Miller. "The guys, they'll do anything for him. Our cover
team, they are **** good — they play with a lot of speed and
physicality — and the return game is still developing. They're
still working on making sure they can put all the instructions in
place."

"We're getting the yards that are available. We'd like to create
a little more and probably spring a little more but I think we're
getting the yards that are available."

-Free Press

It's everybody, not the returner alone.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: LXTSN on October 10, 2024, 03:06:18 PMThat's fair but they haven't used him really as a WR (but I agree that they should more). He has 3 catches on 4 targets for 17 yards over the last 6 games.
I don't know that Case is substantially better as a returner but he is better without doubt. Shouldn't we be putting our best players on the field?

Seems to me Lucky is better from the inside SB position, hit him with short, quick passes and let him pick up YAC. Wilson, Clercius, Wheatfall and Lawler can take the outside spots.

ModAdmin

Maybe it's been mentioned before, but I would like to see us go wide on kick returns a little more often.  We have a penchant for running returns up the gut a very high percentage of the time.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden