Official Game Day Thread - Toronto at Winnipeg October 11, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, October 10, 2024, 05:13:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse

Quote from: Stats Junkie on October 14, 2024, 03:23:22 AMAdjusted for distance, I have Sergio Castillo at 84.7% which ranks 7th in the CFL.
- Castillo is just 60% in the 40-49 range - tied for 7th.
- 49.1% of his FG attempts are from 40+. Only Paredes tries more kicks from 40+ (57.5%)
- Castillo is 2nd in the CFL in 30-39 range (93.3%). His only miss from this range came in game one (Chipped Ball).

Kind of flys in the face of the narrative we've been telling ourselves that we have the best kicker in the league, eh?
My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Jesse on October 14, 2024, 02:38:04 PMKind of flys in the face of the narrative we've been telling ourselves that we have the best kicker in the league, eh?

There doesn't seem to be an excess of FG kickers floating around looking for work and no promising newcomers have entered the league in the last few years to push the vets.  Even if the issue was to be addressed in the off-season, I don't know if there would be many solutions available, other than maybe Boris Bede. Great FG kickers should earn more money, next to the QB they're the 2nd most valuable player IMO.

J5V

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 14, 2024, 04:11:16 PMThere doesn't seem to be an excess of FG kickers floating around looking for work and no promising newcomers have entered the league in the last few years to push the vets.  Even if the issue was to be addressed in the off-season, I don't know if there would be many solutions available, other than maybe Boris Bede. Great FG kickers should earn more money, next to the QB they're the 2nd most valuable player IMO.
We were spoiled by Justin Medlock.
Go Bombers!

dd

Castillo had a nice little streak going, but now has come back down to earth. He'll bounce back. But before we kick him to the curb, think about this...every kicker we have let go figures things out and does well--Paredes, Liram, Leggs....so chill out, every kicker goes through this.

J5V

Quote from: dd on October 14, 2024, 08:45:51 PMCastillo had a nice little streak going, but now has come back down to earth. He'll bounce back. But before we kick him to the curb, think about this...every kicker we have let go figures things out and does well--Paredes, Liram, Leggs....so chill out, every kicker goes through this.
Yes but every one of those kickers has sucked at times too. That's why I mentioned Medlock. That guy just never seemed to have a bad game.

Castillo has something special though -- a live leg. That guy is going to win us a game with an outrageous kick one day.
Go Bombers!

jayrock

Quote from: J5V on October 12, 2024, 10:37:00 PMHere's something to ponder. Argos beat us first game by 2 points. This game by 3 points. Combined over 2 games by 5 points. That's about as razor-thin a two-game spread of wins as you can manage in the CFL. If we meet again in the Grey Cup I don't like the Argos chances of beating us for the third time in a row. In fact, as soon as I learn it's the Argos in the Grey Cup against us, I'll be placing a HUGE wager on the Blue and Gold to pummel the Argos in the Grey Cup. We are definitely due and we won't leave the outcome to be determined by the officials. Our job now is to get there.

I find it funny how when the bombers lose by 5 points over 2 games they are still on track to win the GC. But when bombers beat the riders over two games by a total of 6 points, they Riders are the worst team in the CFL and the bombers are still going to the GC. The CFL is to close this year, and teams are stepping up when needed to win games. Oh wait, the bombers needed to step up on Friday and they didn't. My bad.
I had and have no great expectations of the Riders this year, new coach new team, but, man CFL foot ball has been fun to watch this year.
RIDER PRIDE ALIVE IN THE PEG

J5V

Quote from: jayrock on October 14, 2024, 09:12:11 PMBut when bombers beat the riders over two games by a total of 6 points, they Riders are the worst team in the CFL and the bombers are still going to the GC.

They're the worst team in the CFL because they're the dirtiest team in the CFL and they suck because nothing they do they do with any class whatsoever, including sending their fans to Bomber forums after a Bomber loss to gloat. What losers!

Quote from: jayrock on October 14, 2024, 09:12:11 PMI had and have no great expectations of the Riders this year, new coach new team, but, man CFL foot ball has been fun to watch this year.

You have no expectations of the Riders this year because they suck and have sucked for their whole existence. The Bombers have been to 4 Grey Cups in the last 4 years winning 2 of them and our fans, real fans, expect the Bombers to win the championship every season until they do or don't. A Rider fan could never know what that's like. Rider fans like you can't handle it when the Bombers win so you act like this. Pathetic, really.
Go Bombers!

ModAdmin

Quote from: J5V on October 14, 2024, 09:42:18 PMThey're the worst team in the CFL because they're the dirtiest team in the CFL and they suck because nothing they do they do with any class whatsoever, including sending their fans to Bomber forums after a Bomber loss to gloat. What losers!

You have no expectations of the Riders this year because they suck and have sucked for their whole existence. The Bombers have been to 4 Grey Cups in the last 4 years winning 2 of them and our fans, real fans, expect the Bombers to win the championship every season until they do or don't. A Rider fan could never know what that's like. Rider fans like you can't handle it when the Bombers win so you act like this. Pathetic, really.

The Riders are 9 - 7 - 1 this season so they hardly "suck".  They had had one player this year that has crossed the line with what arguably can be call dirty play, but to lambaste the entire team as "dirty" is overkill.

I don't like the Riders particularly either, but Jayrock (who doesn't need me coming to his defence), is a pretty moderate Rider fan on here.  He deserves a bit more respect than you have given him.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

TecnoGenius

Quote from: jayrock on October 14, 2024, 09:12:11 PMI had and have no great expectations of the Riders this year, new coach new team, but, man CFL foot ball has been fun to watch this year.

It's nice the greenies get a bone this season.  The extended suckage has been bad for attendance.

Even now with all of this late-season winning the attendance keeps falling.  It's weird.

Will they even sell out their home WSF or WDF?  Hopefully this recent success will help them with STH next season.

Most people didn't say SSK was the worst team after losing 2 to WPG, but they sure did drop in the power rankings for a brief while, and there was the feeling held by most fans in the league (including in Regina) that SSK was going to do their late-season suckage thing again.

They deserve their recent success and their Lapo dink & dunk game plan is clearly working for them.  That plus a pretty good D.  However, the +15 or whatever turnover ratio is a lot like '14-'17 WPG that relied on TOs to win games.  The problem with that is it can't be guaranteed to repeat every game in the post-season.

Finally, McAdoo was also the king of the dink & dunk and WPG (Canadian Mafia) figured out how to defeat that in '19-'21.  I expect us to do the same this season.  The only question is, can WPG's O not suck that day?

It'll be fun to see how it turns out, though one fan base is going to be severely disappointed.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on October 14, 2024, 02:38:04 PMKind of flys in the face of the narrative we've been telling ourselves that we have the best kicker in the league, eh?

Before this last game, if you took out the week 1 game, Castillo was doing very, very well.  I bet his range-adjusted score would have been top 3 (ex the 2 games).  (The only other clinker game he had was the other TOR game.)

On the bright side: his cost for re-signing keeps falling every week!!  Saving SMS is always fun.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: ModAdmin on October 15, 2024, 12:55:26 AMThe Riders are 9 - 7 - 1 this season so they hardly "suck".  They had had one player this year that has crossed the line with what arguably can be call dirty play, but to lambaste the entire team as "dirty" is overkill.

I don't think they're "dirty" to injure (except Marino), but I do think they're "dirty" in that they explicitly coach to hold and block and do shady things if they can get away with it.

You can call that good coaching, but our team doesn't do it nearly to that degree and I feel that gives SSK an unfair advantage.  (Yes, I know Riderfans says WPG is the holding-est team!)

At least Brown has kept his nose clean since the Strev crippling.
Never go full Rider!

J5V

Quote from: ModAdmin on October 15, 2024, 12:55:26 AMHe deserves a bit more respect than you have given him.

Quote from: jayrock on October 14, 2024, 09:12:11 PMThe CFL is to close this year, and teams are stepping up when needed to win games. Oh wait, the bombers needed to step up on Friday and they didn't. My bad.

This is clearly a disrespectful dig by a Rider fan on a Bomber forum. It got the level of respect it deserves.
Go Bombers!

ModAdmin

Quote from: J5V on October 15, 2024, 01:52:34 AMThis is clearly a disrespectful dig by a Rider fan on a Bomber forum. It got the level of respect it deserves.

You are overlooking the fact he was right though.  The Bombers did not play well enough to win.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

J5V

Quote from: ModAdmin on October 15, 2024, 05:46:21 AMYou are overlooking the fact he was right though.  The Bombers did not play well enough to win.
When was the Riders last undefeated season?
Go Bombers!

jayrock

RIDER PRIDE ALIVE IN THE PEG