Official Game Day Thread - Toronto at Winnipeg October 11, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, October 10, 2024, 05:13:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John T.

I totally agree, this game felt a lot like the last couple of Grey Cup games, so I hope we got it out of our system.
They have no trouble against the West, but consistently save their worst games for the East, and it's not just because of the skill of the opposition (Castillo, anyone?)

They need to figure out what to do about this, and fast.

Blue In BC

Quote from: J5V on October 12, 2024, 05:02:08 AMWell, you'd have to count me among the dummies then because I never heard a whistle. Looked like Thomas was playing to the whistle. Did Thomas even touch him? Besides, Kelly dropped like he'd been shot! Should have got an embellishment penalty.  :-)

He didn't need to hear the whistle. It was clear that Kelly was not looking to run or throw. When has Thomas ever had a straight run at a QB that wasn't trying to move away from being hit. Kelly may have play acted it out but it doesn't change the fact it was a penalty.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 12, 2024, 07:00:25 AMOn the final failed sneak try in the 1st Q, on both sneaks TOR was offside, but refs didn't flag it.  The first o/s was tight, but the 2nd o/s was really egregious.

I have no idea what the GL judges were smoking on those plays.  They are usually pretty strict on those.

That should have been 1st down and 3 more cracks at it from the 1.

Note:
1. The ball placement
2. The visible ref's foot placement
3. The dude's foot in the background (foreground hand may be o/s too, but foot is nearly halfway to the yard mark)

The ball wasn't on the 1 yard line so IMO the Argos were not offside.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

dd

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 12, 2024, 01:28:12 PMHe didn't need to hear the whistle. It was clear that Kelly was not looking to run or throw. When has Thomas ever had a straight run at a QB that wasn't trying to move away from being hit. Kelly may have play acted it out but it doesn't change the fact it was a penalty.
Exactly. It was a very poor decision on Thomas s part, rather than push the Argos back from the offside, we moved them forward and next play is a TD. When you play stupid football you generally lose.

Blue In BC

Quote from: dd on October 12, 2024, 02:17:08 PMExactly. It was a very poor decision on Thomas s part, rather than push the Argos back from the offside, we moved them forward and next play is a TD. When you play stupid football you generally lose.

I'm not sure if would have prevented the Argos from scoring. 1st and 15 and 10 yards back as opposed to 1st and 10.

It certainly improved their chances and they did score on the next play.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pete

The talk about Thomas and dline pressure is ado about nothing. The d played lights out. Coles best game of career Jones looked like Bighill of past years

This loss is on ,  in no.particular order:
 Castillo 2 missed fgs
 Oline got bullied
 Zac not adjusting enough to having to make quick reads
 Bucks game plan.
It was obvious with 9 dlinemen what argo game plan was, and we had nothing in place to counter it.

I've said before we don't do a good enough job of game planning,  rather we just go with our style no matter who opponent was.(Maybe its the short practice weeks we use?)

TBURGESS

Thomas hit Kelly in the head. Automatic RTP.

They weren't offside on the 3rd down because the ball was on the one and a half yard line. 

Both teams got stuffed on the 1. 

They made their FG we doinked one and missed one. 

We didn't take advantage of their huge fumble on the kick return. 

It's better to lose now than in the playoffs. 
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

blue_gold_84

What an unexpectedly disappointing performance. Castillo was such a letdown.

That's it. I've got nothing else.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on October 12, 2024, 03:15:22 PMWhat an unexpectedly disappointing performance. Castillo was such a letdown.

That's it. I've got nothing else.
Castillo really sucked last night. Perfect weather conditions and brutal misses.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 12, 2024, 01:30:19 PMThe ball wasn't on the 1 yard line so IMO the Argos were not offside.

You might want to examine the goal line stand the Argos failed to score on in more detail, on Bonfire Gameday After Dark postgame show one angle looked like Kelly crossed the goal line before Gauthier pushed him back.

Sorry! This message was meant for Techno.

markf

Any thoughts on our Jake Kelly?

I have no idea how he played, didn't obviously get burned....

Seems a touch on the small side.

Looks like our linebacker situation is well in hand.

Was Zach our leading rusher? 😂 really lucky he survived without injury. No quit in that guy.

Also re Castillo

He has been about all the offence we had in a fair number of games this season.  Clutch for the most part.

dd

Our D played lights out.... Brian Cole is an absolute keeper and was a force in the middle---and fast!!! Tracked down Grant and forced a fumble, not too many players in the league can say that.

Our O line and Castillo struggled alot. Collaros sacked 7 times, don't win too many games when your Qb is sacked 7 times.

Castillo gassed away 6 points in a 3 point game, it ends right there. That has rarely happened in the past, but it happens and when it does in a low scoring game, you lose.

Lots of good in the game, but O line and Castillo, get your crap together.

blue_or_die

Just a few thoughts, but nothing not already mentioned:

- OL, Castillo, and Zach were not themselves. I'll let Zach off the hook a bit due to being under siege the whole time by their very good DL. He also had moments of brilliance and ran hard when he had to (including on that final scamper to be within a c-hair of the first down).

- Lawler, Pokey and Brady had a good night.

- Our d was bend-don't-break. It felt like we were getting torched all night but I kept looking up at the jumbotron and seeing the game completely in our reach the whole 60 mins. Cheers to them for keeping it interesting while our O was anemic.

- Man I wish we had a stud DT in the middle. Stove was a lifetime ago and it sucks so much that we didn't get to see what a beast Lawson could have been in the trenches this year.

- Count me in with the crowd saying that we do unfortunately completely lay an egg a few times a year. I actually thought we would last week in Hamilton and then last night would have been our redeemer. Better to get this out of our system now than in the playoffs when we need a Zach with time and a kicker who's dialled in and not a head case.

- I don't know what feels worse: getting smacked down or having the came totally winnable only to be crushed at the end. I thought Zach was going to write a fairy tail at the end and get that first down on the run, and then Castillo would redeem himself by kicking a walk off FG. FML.
#Ride?