Official Game Day Thread - Toronto at Winnipeg October 11, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, October 10, 2024, 05:13:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J5V

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 12, 2024, 03:25:36 AMThomas: What were you thinking? Everyone in the country knew the whistle blew. Dumbest play of the year.
Well, you'd have to count me among the dummies then because I never heard a whistle. Looked like Thomas was playing to the whistle. Did Thomas even touch him? Besides, Kelly dropped like he'd been shot! Should have got an embellishment penalty.  :-)
Go Bombers!

Jesse

Quote from: J5V on October 12, 2024, 03:51:07 AMIt's easy to be negative whenever you lose a game but winning and losing can be a strange thing. You can outplay a team and lose, a team can outplay you yet you win. Sometimes you need some luck and need to get some breaks. That's why O'Shea preaches to not get too high when you win and not get too low when you lose. Lots of football left, at least a regular season game and a playoff game and then hopefully a grey cup game. We control our own destiny. Go Bombers!

Sure, but the script plays out the same every time we play TO.

Good chance they're in the Grey Cup this year. So we need to figure it out.
My wife is amazing!

Jesse

My wife is amazing!

J5V

Quote from: Jesse on October 12, 2024, 05:03:20 AMSure, but the script plays out the same every time we play TO.

When Zach was younger he had more escapability but you're right, we need to figure it out. I believe Buck can design a package for Zach that will allow him to cope better with the Toronto pass rush.
Go Bombers!

J5V

Quote from: Jesse on October 12, 2024, 05:05:36 AMWhat? No we didn't.
Willy was hot on his tail several times and we chased him from the pocket often. Kelly is a slippery character. Not easy to sack.
Go Bombers!

Jesse

Quote from: J5V on October 12, 2024, 05:12:40 AMWilly was hot on his tail several times and we chased him from the pocket often. Kelly is a slippery character. Not easy to sack.

There were way more times when Kelly stood there all day than times when he needed to move.
My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Jesse on October 12, 2024, 05:03:20 AMSure, but the script plays out the same every time we play TO.

I thought they figured it out in the second half, Zach needs to pretend he's Trevor Harris and get the ball out more quickly cause the O-line just can't handle the pressure.

Pigskin

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Pigskin

Quote from: Jesse on October 12, 2024, 05:19:29 AMThere were way more times when Kelly stood there all day than times when he needed to move.

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 12, 2024, 05:19:30 AMI thought they figured it out in the second half, Zach needs to pretend he's Trevor Harris and get the ball out more quickly cause the O-line just can't handle the pressure.

Agree, we were much better in the 2nd. half. Turnovers, and a off night by Castillo. Wilson also had some problems on shortage.

Pigskin

Tor. 7 sacks.   Wpg. zip

Tor. 22 DL made 22 DTs. Wpg. 4

ZC8: 23/30, 249 yards 1 Int, 1 Fumble.
ZC8: 5/44 yards.
BO20: 12/64 yards
BO20: 18 total touches.

TJ33: 9 DTs, 2 PDs.
Cole: 5 DTs, 1 FF

Grant: KR: 2/52, longest 35 yards.
Grant: PR: 5/71, longest 46 yards.

Lucky: KR: 2/59, longest 32 yards.
Lucky: PR: 6/64, longest 13 yards.

Castillo: 1/3.

TecnoGenius

On the final failed sneak try in the 1st Q, on both sneaks TOR was offside, but refs didn't flag it.  The first o/s was tight, but the 2nd o/s was really egregious.

I have no idea what the GL judges were smoking on those plays.  They are usually pretty strict on those.

That should have been 1st down and 3 more cracks at it from the 1.

Note:
1. The ball placement
2. The visible ref's foot placement
3. The dude's foot in the background (foreground hand may be o/s too, but foot is nearly halfway to the yard mark)

Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: J5V on October 12, 2024, 05:02:08 AMWell, you'd have to count me among the dummies then because I never heard a whistle. Looked like Thomas was playing to the whistle. Did Thomas even touch him? Besides, Kelly dropped like he'd been shot! Should have got an embellishment penalty.  :-)

I was there.  You couldn't hear any whistle from my spot.  You could tell guys were just standing up though.  But that RB was still blocking for Kelly and pushed Fatboi when he was arriving.  Fatboi may have thought the play was still on.

Kelly 100% embellished.  I slow-mo'd it and Kelly was already falling before Fatboi touched him.

I will add that I've seen DL guys truck the heck out of all sorts of players just like this (on un-hearable whistles in loud stadiums) and never have I seen a flag thrown.  Never.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: barbk on October 12, 2024, 02:07:24 AMIs #1 Nicholas hurt.....never mind I see him on the field

Nichols did something bad to his knee on a tackle he made.  He kept trying to walk it off but kept stopping and bending over.  He did come back for the next series, and I'm not sure, but probably finished the game?
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: towelie on October 12, 2024, 01:55:36 AMNot to excuse the performance by any of them, but I hate dressing only 6 o-linemen. We seem to have trouble when we can't rotate more often

We don't usually rotate at all in the starting 5.  (We did a bit when 1-2 of our desired starters were injured, but not normally like tonight.)

We do rotate who we use as 6th/7th, depending on who's available, and yes, our options are limited when we don't have a 7th.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Everyone on O and ST took turns sucking.  It was a shambles and it started early.  It gave everyone there one of those "uh oh, one of those games" feelings.  You know, when you have a premonition that nothing is going to go right.

- Start with the ball and go 2 & out: demoralizing
- Letting TOR O waltz down the whole field for their 1st TD: demoralizing
- Coming away with 0 on the Grant fumble at the 12: demoralizing
- Castillo 1st miss: demoralizing
- Kelly an amazing escape and throwing cross-body while being pulled down and the REC making a tough catch to get 1st down: demoralizing
- Brady wide open on an out catches the ball with his helmet instead of his hands: demoralizing
- Kenny gets the biggest catch of the game and then we go Brady-nothing/sack from our 10: demoralizing
- Sack after sack after sack ad nauseam while Kelly has 3, 4, 5+ seconds most snaps: demoralizing
- Multiple 2nd & short and Brady & the OL get nothing: demoralizing
- Forced to use a timeout because you have 13 D on the field: demoralizing
- Choosing Loser formation to end the 1st H: demoralizing

--- and all this in just the 1st half... so ugly.  so demoralizing.

Good thing Bombers still had some fight left in them for the rest of the game or it would have been a blowout.  But in the end it was clear to all we were unprepared and totally out-coached.  It was like the '22 GC all over again.

So in that sense I'm happy we got it out of our system now, so hopefully we'll have our heads out of our butts come GC day, because it's looking like it'll be TOR we meet there from what I just saw!
Never go full Rider!