Argos

Started by BlueFire, October 02, 2024, 11:35:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: theaardvark on October 02, 2024, 08:28:34 PMYeah, they only signed Ciante Evans, William Stanback and Pete Robinson away from other teams.  Plus all their own players, don't think they lost a starter in FA.

Plus Covington coming from the NFL to start the season.

And then end up with VA and Rourke, and Betts back.

They released Marcus Sayles as a final cut after not playing him much in pre-season, which, at the time, was rumored to be a combination of play and salary.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 02, 2024, 04:28:44 PMNo it doesn't mean that at all. Nobody has done that in the past.

2013 Riders destroyed their team's future for around 5 years by loading up for their cup.  Sure, maybe they didn't go more than $100k over (which is "allowed" and "normal") but they did screw up their NAT depth and DPs.

Teams do treat home-cup years differently than otherwise.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on October 02, 2024, 04:29:40 PMIs BC's marketing budget helping tremendously? They haven't won a home game since when? We can win being at or close to the salary cap.

Not our fault that BC SUCKS.  Can you imagine our team right now had we gotten Betts the other week instead of BC??  And if Rourke became our #2 when Strev was hurt?  Yowzers.

That BC is still failing after their league-superstars (if not right away, then soon to be) acquisitions, that's on their coaches, not on those players.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 02, 2024, 04:38:01 PMEvery team wants to get to and win the Grey Cup every year whether it's in their stadium or not.

But in the home year they REALLY want to get to the cup.  And the pressure from "upstairs" (the prez/owner) must be immense.  Don't pretend it's just another ho-hum normal year.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 02, 2024, 05:09:07 PMI think BC is a clear case of an ambitious owner telling the football ops people how to run their show without worrying about the consequences.

Clearly.  If the dude is springing $1M (wild guess) to have LL Cool J open a game, do you think he gives a poop about $3M overage penalties?  I don't think that guy gives a poop about much of anything other than winning and being a local headline hero, and maybe reaping $$ if he can convince 10k more to get STs.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Stats Junkie on October 02, 2024, 06:13:01 PMThe last time the BC Lions won a game at SaveOnFoods Field, Stefan Flintoft did NOT hit the scoreboard with a punt.

Best stat ever.  This definitely needs to go on the TSN broadcast for the next @BC game.
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on October 02, 2024, 10:06:56 PMThey released Marcus Sayles as a final cut after not playing him much in pre-season, which, at the time, was rumored to be a combination of play and salary.

If you have a guy that is better and cheaper than a guy you brought in by buying him away from WPG three years before, that is evidence of what?  Fiscal responsibility in creating a cup team?  And they brought in Evans, also a halfback...  I guess I miss your point.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: theaardvark on October 03, 2024, 03:25:26 PMIf you have a guy that is better and cheaper than a guy you brought in by buying him away from WPG three years before, that is evidence of what?  Fiscal responsibility in creating a cup team?  And they brought in Evans, also a halfback...  I guess I miss your point.

Obviously.

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 03, 2024, 06:57:12 AMClearly.  If the dude is springing $1M (wild guess) to have LL Cool J open a game, do you think he gives a poop about $3M overage penalties?  I don't think that guy gives a poop about much of anything other than winning and being a local headline hero, and maybe reaping $$ if he can convince 10k more to get STs.

Yes I think he cares about over spending against the SMS. There is an integrity issue involved for every owner. Spending on entertainers is a totally different issue.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 03, 2024, 06:39:59 PMYes I think he cares about over spending against the SMS. There is an integrity issue involved for every owner. Spending on entertainers is a totally different issue.

One would certainly hope so!  The reality? ... we shall see
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 04, 2024, 01:26:06 AMOne would certainly hope so!  The reality? ... we shall see

Tech, the reality is the last 100 years of football.

Just like our discussion of not changing rules for non-common events, the Lions going over the salary cap because they happen to have to elite players coming back from the NFL at the same time doesn't mean teams have decided to ignore the cap and consequences.
My wife is amazing!

ichabod_crane

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 02, 2024, 04:28:44 PMNo it doesn't mean that at all. Nobody has done that in the past.

Riders in 2013. Maybe did not blow the cap, but loaded up many old vets and then went downhill soon after. A Brandon taman special! Only time his gambles paid off as never worked in Winnipeg

Blue In BC

Quote from: ichabod_crane on October 04, 2024, 05:47:36 PMRiders in 2013. Maybe did not blow the cap, but loaded up many old vets and then went downhill soon after. A Brandon taman special! Only time his gambles paid off as never worked in Winnipeg

Are they the ones that went over by a little over $100K? Stuff happening as a result of players going onto IR, especially late in the season can impact that. Finishing in 1st place and activating a bunch of PR players for the last game ditto.

It's not the same as intentionally going over by that much. It's certainly isn't the same as suggesting to just go over by a million and accept the fine and draft choice losses.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 04, 2024, 05:58:01 PMAre they the ones that went over by a little over $100K? Stuff happening as a result of players going onto IR, especially late in the season can impact that. Finishing in 1st place and activating a bunch of PR players for the last game ditto.

It's not the same as intentionally going over by that much. It's certainly isn't the same as suggesting to just go over by a million and accept the fine and draft choice losses.

"Going for it" is a case of teams allowing less room for those IR adds as they normally do. SO once some injuries do pile up, they end up going over.

Just like us last season. We could have been under the cap had we not rested our starters in the final game(s). But you make the choice to exceed the cap a little for what you see as a competitive advantage.
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 04, 2024, 05:58:01 PMIt's not the same as intentionally going over by that much. It's certainly isn't the same as suggesting to just go over by a million and accept the fine and draft choice losses.

DT on every CJOB broadcast now says at least once that in 2025 we should load up on everyone and to heck with the cap.  His excuse is BC has shown the way when it's your home GC year.

So it's not just me.  If BC proves $150k+ over the cap (or gasp $300k!) in 2024 then I think that's the green light to go mental.  Just make sure to stay under the magic $300k number so you keep your 1RDP.
Never go full Rider!