Official Game Day Thread - Edmonton at Winnipeg - September 27, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, September 26, 2024, 12:25:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: peg_city on September 26, 2024, 08:08:23 PMBombers win by 20 in overtime

Lol. It's impossible to win by that amount in OT. It's a 1 TD and 2 point covert on offence and a 2nd TD and 2 point convert if they score on defence.

That's if they are the 1st team to go on offence in OT. Even then I don't think they'd be required to go for any convert.

So maximum score would by a win by 14 in that case.

IMO we win by 17 points in regulation.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 26, 2024, 06:46:50 PMHistorically the Bombers did not play Jumbo packages as much as they do now or line up an O-lineman at FB.

We are dressing a FB this week that will play in the Jumbo packages...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: theaardvark on September 26, 2024, 08:48:00 PMWe are dressing a FB this week that will play in the Jumbo packages...

Chris-Ike is not the bruising fullback of old. We'll use Eli in a lot of those lead blocking situations. To be honest, I still think Buck is figuring out how to best use the guy. He's essentially a running back and I wouldn't be surprised to see him in Augustine's role next year. He was drafted due to his speed and athleticism which is not something you usually say about a full back.

55StickCar

This is an important game. We win this or the point differential and we have won the season series with all the western teams. Guaranteed third place minimum.

Pitbull

It's great the game is sold out. Isn't there a ticket exchange like the Jets have for those who want to sell their tickets?

Blueforlife

Quote from: Pitbull on September 27, 2024, 12:37:12 AMIt's great the game is sold out. Isn't there a ticket exchange like the Jets have for those who want to sell their tickets?
There is a sticky thread on this forum for that purpose

ModAdmin

Game #15: Elks (5-9) at Blue Bombers (8-6)

Kickoff: Friday, September 27th, 7 p.m. CDT; Princess Auto Stadium
TV/Streaming: TSN 1/5, CBS Sports Network; CFL+
Radio: 680 CJOB
Streaks: Wpg: 6W; Edm: 1L
Road/Home: The Blue Bombers are 5-2 at home, having won five straight at Princess Auto Stadium after dropping their first two of the season; the Elks are 3-4 on the road this season.
Game theme: Orange Shirt Game. For more details on the meaning of this game:

Scene Setter

It's one of the toughest asks in the Canadian Football League — turning a double-play against the same opponent with back-to-back wins — and especially so if those victories come during the urgency of the second half of the season.

Well, here are the Winnipeg Blue Bombers prepping to host the Edmonton Elks Friday night at Princess Auto Stadium for the second of a home-and-home series with their division rivals and a chance to sweep the two games.

If they can convert, they would go a perfect 6-0 in back-to-backs this season after turning the double against the B.C. Lions and Saskatchewan Roughriders in August and then September.

Even more impressive in the big picture is this: dating back to 2016 the Blue Bombers are 29-12 in their 21 back-to-backs with opponents and have nine sweeps — this current matchup with the Elks still to be determined — while being swept only once, by the Roughriders back in 2018.

The evidence:

2024: B.C.: WW; Sask.: WW; Edm.: W?

2023: Sask.: LW

2022: Ott.: WW; Mtl.: WL; Sask.: WW; B.C.: LW

2021: Tor.: WL; Sask.: WW; Edm.: WW; Mtl.: WL

2019: Sask.: LW; Cal.: LW

2018: B.C.: WL; Tor.: WW; Sask.: LL

2017: Sask.: LW

2016: Sask.: WW; B.C.: WW; Ott: LW

Clearly those superb numbers are part of why the Blue Bombers are on such an impressive run over the last few years and with a chance to clinch an eighth straight playoff appearance with a win against the Elks.

It's also worth putting that 29-12 record in back-to-backs over the last eight years into perspective — in the eight seasons before that, 2008-15, the Blue Bombers were a grotesque 8-30 in double-headers.

Ouch.

More on the game preview...
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Pigskin

At 6'1"/225 I don't consider C-Ike a full back. With this kids speed 4.56/40 I am surprised that the Bomber haven't tried to get him a few more touches.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Pigskin

Just looking at the weather. 21 at kickoff with little to no wind.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 26, 2024, 04:54:17 PMThey're cutting it pretty thin at receiver, if one went down they'd be relying on Lucky who's a bit banged up himself.

I haven't actually counted, but I do study how we use jumbo, and I'd say when we're playing the game we want (i.e. not down much) we go 6-7 (or 8) jumbo sets quite a lot; i.e. sending 5 receivers out maybe 30% of the time.

If suddenly we were short an R, we'd just do more jumbo, and maybe some interesting stuff with Ike and Johnny.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 26, 2024, 05:56:06 PMI see # 8 Lewis in for Bratton as an advantage for the Bombers. He hasn't played for 7 weeks.

EDM D looks pretty bad on paper this week.  I hope we can capitalize.  MBT will do much better than Ford, and probably rack up some real yards.  If our O needs to get medium-level production to win it.  I don't want to see another struggle-fest, like we've seen so much this season.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on September 26, 2024, 06:00:07 PMHistorically, it's always 6 OL on the roster. Carrying 7 is not standard practice at all.

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 26, 2024, 06:46:50 PMHistorically the Bombers did not play Jumbo packages as much as they do now or line up an O-lineman at FB.

Historically 10 years ago, yes.  Historically 2023 & 2024 we've been loving the jumbos.  6,7 & 8 OL+FB sets much of the time.  And even when we appear to be sending out 5, we often have 1-2 coming across pre-snap as blockers.

Blocking is the name of WPG's game.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: gobombersgo on September 26, 2024, 07:11:22 PM

That 6GIR is like a who's who of our desired starters & desired dressers.  It's ugly scary.  Quite amazing we're doing so well!  I've never seen anything like it in Bomberland.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pitbull on September 27, 2024, 12:37:12 AMIt's great the game is sold out. Isn't there a ticket exchange like the Jets have for those who want to sell their tickets?

What the other guy mentioned is the blue "sticky" thread area at the top of the thread list index named BUY AND SELL, or use this link:

http://forums.bluebombers.com/index.php?topic=52356.0

The usual aftermarket sites have tickets, like stubhub.ca and that other fan one I can't recall the name of.  And TM itself will have aftermarket tickets, but for some reason on sellouts like this they just go all-grey with no listings, which I find really odd.

CFL football in WPG and SSK is a hot ticket this year, it would seem.  Money must be rolling into these 2 clubs.  Right now there are only 2 tickets left on stubhub, which is crazy talk.  LDC was the same way.

At the rate we're going, I think we may sell out the mid-Oct game, which would be unprecedented.  And people say no one likes or cares about the CFL!!  WRONG
Never go full Rider!