Bombers sign quarterbacks Dolegala, Scott & Others to practice roster

Started by ModAdmin, September 17, 2024, 04:21:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dd

I think Ford would be great on our team...look what he's done in Edmonton loosening up the run game and they have 3 RB's over 500 yds rushing, first time I've ever seen that happen.

blue_or_die

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on October 02, 2024, 02:49:16 PMI'm not sure we can afford to let Dolegala go, especially in a Grey Cup hosting year. Streveler can't run our offense and he's coming off a severe knee injury. Who knows when he'll be ready or how he'll look when he does.  Could he really play that style of game and quarterback the Bombers to a Grey Cup next year? Highly doubt it.

Collaros is at the point in his career where every hit requires you to hold your breath and pray his head doesn't hit a helmet or the turf.

Dolegala fits nicely and came along at the exact right time. He can learn the offense this year, and because he's pro-rated it's inexpensive. If he's re-signed he'd have to be the betting favourite to start as the number two guy in 2025. The only argument you could possibly make is that Wilson is better but that's only because he's a total unknown. He probably plays that last game in Montreal and the most likely scenario is he struggles as much as a first year QB almost always does.
Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on October 02, 2024, 03:49:39 PMTotally fair. I would be happy with someone else who has some experience. I think it would be pretty risky and not advised to go into 2025 with Collaros, Wilson and brand new QB from 2025 camp

Yeah, in no way am I suggesting we let Dolegala go because we want to bring in another rook. It would be because we need to do better for a role necessitating coming in and managing games to wins. Should be an interesting off-season for the QB market.
#Ride?

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on October 02, 2024, 02:49:16 PMI'm not sure we can afford to let Dolegala go, especially in a Grey Cup hosting year. Streveler can't run our offense and he's coming off a severe knee injury. Who knows when he'll be ready or how he'll look when he does.  Could he really play that style of game and quarterback the Bombers to a Grey Cup next year? Highly doubt it.

Dolegala fits nicely and came along at the exact right time. He can learn the offense this year, and because he's pro-rated it's inexpensive. If he's re-signed he'd have to be the betting favourite to start as the number two guy in 2025. The only argument you could possibly make is that Wilson is better but that's only because he's a total unknown. He probably plays that last game in Montreal and the most likely scenario is he struggles as much as a first year QB almost always does.

Aards and Pete are right: there are lots of guys available if we really want/need a step-in-producer at #2.

Dolegala didn't get the job a few weeks ago because he was the best of all the #2's: he got it because he was the healthy one on the couch, isn't a raw rookie, and he doesn't completely suck.

Once FA hits we can take our pick from a decent number QBs.  And trades are always an option.  Then we can get the one we really wanted all along, not the kludge.  I'm nearly positive Dolegala is the latter.

But like you said, he will have the advantage of 10 or so weeks of book-learning and currying favor with the Mafia.  And if Strev's knee is still out for more than weeks 1-4 or so, we'll probably want a real #2 instead of another ELC.  So in that sense I bet he gets a camp look as long as no other team has him on speed dial in FA.

But there are many current #2's in the league who are currently better or certainly seem more promising than him.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 02, 2024, 04:05:59 PMI wish Wilson would have received more than 5 minutes of playing time in a huge blowout game, those opportunities don't come around often.

We gave him 6mins and change... which I thought at the time was actually quite a lot.  It's usually the last 3 mins you see garbage-time QBs come in in the CFL.

Keep in mind at that stage EDM was gettings TDs, which we'd then instantly match.  If Collaros was out at the half we probably don't get those TDs and EDM gets within 7 or 10 of us.  That's not safe enough in the CFL.

They only pulled Zach when we score differential + time meant the game was over, absent major screwups.  That's why Wilson was clearly given a "just don't turn the ball over" playbook.

I think MOS played it perfectly.
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

If Masoli pulls a Collaros, and revitalizes his career, stays healthy and impresses, do we manage to get Dru back?

Probably not. 
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_or_die

Quote from: theaardvark on October 03, 2024, 03:36:43 PMIf Masoli pulls a Collaros, and revitalizes his career, stays healthy and impresses, do we manage to get Dru back?

Probably not. 

We can dream...

If that happened in fantasy land, I would sign him for 3 years and defer as much as possible to 2026 and 2027. Without guaranteed contracts though, we would still need to give him a sizeable signing bonus.

Might need to understand Zach's intentions beyond 2025 before that though. If he has gas in the tank and is still playing elite ball, I wouldn't want to ruin his legacy and put the "writing on the wall", especially going into a home Grey Cup year. Being 37 next year though, I'm sure he's thinking that life after football is coming. He should want to go out on top.
#Ride?

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 03, 2024, 06:27:53 AMWe gave him 6mins and change... which I thought at the time was actually quite a lot.  It's usually the last 3 mins you see garbage-time QBs come in in the CFL.

Keep in mind at that stage EDM was gettings TDs, which we'd then instantly match.  If Collaros was out at the half we probably don't get those TDs and EDM gets within 7 or 10 of us.  That's not safe enough in the CFL.

They only pulled Zach when we score differential + time meant the game was over, absent major screwups.  That's why Wilson was clearly given a "just don't turn the ball over" playbook.

I think MOS played it perfectly.

The Elks weren't threatening a comeback in that game, only O'Shea believed that was remotely possible.  What is the point in restricting Wilson to a few useless play calls while attempting to kill the clock at the end of the game, is that some kind of feel good moment?  At least give the guy half a chance to do something after putting in a full season of practices, it's only fair to ask Buck to give him a play package like Strev. was supposed to run this season. 

J5V

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 03, 2024, 04:06:25 PMThe Elks weren't threatening a comeback in that game, only O'Shea believed that was remotely possible.  What is the point in restricting Wilson to a few useless play calls while attempting to kill the clock at the end of the game, is that some kind of feel good moment?  At least give the guy half a chance to do something after putting in a full season of practices, it's only fair to ask Buck to give him a play package like Strev. was supposed to run this season. 
If he has put in the work O'Shea will reward him but he has to put the team first. When he gets his shot he'll be ready!
Go Bombers!

Jesse

Quote from: J5V on October 03, 2024, 07:25:28 PMIf he has put in the work O'Shea will reward him but he has to put the team first. When he gets his shot he'll be ready!

Agreed. Asking a rookie to do too much too soon is setting them up for failure.

My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 03, 2024, 04:06:25 PMThe Elks weren't threatening a comeback in that game, only O'Shea believed that was remotely possible.  What is the point in restricting Wilson to a few useless play calls while attempting to kill the clock at the end of the game, is that some kind of feel good moment?  At least give the guy half a chance to do something after putting in a full season of practices, it's only fair to ask Buck to give him a play package like Strev. was supposed to run this season.

Hey, they let Wilson throw.  They didn't have to do that!  So many times the garbage-time guy will come in and only be allowed to hand-off or run.  And he completed his first pass!  Only problem was: 3Y short.

When EDM inched to within ~2 scores with a Q left, if you put in Wilson and he throws a pick-6, then EDM is within 7 or 10 and you have a legit shot at losing.  This is entirely reasonable and we've seen weirder things.  Every time we got less than 3 scores up I got nervous and would fully agree with MOS that you keep playing to win.
Never go full Rider!

J5V

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 04, 2024, 01:24:26 AMHey, they let Wilson throw.  They didn't have to do that!  So many times the garbage-time guy will come in and only be allowed to hand-off or run.  And he completed his first pass!  Only problem was: 3Y short.

When EDM inched to within ~2 scores with a Q left, if you put in Wilson and he throws a pick-6, then EDM is within 7 or 10 and you have a legit shot at losing.  This is entirely reasonable and we've seen weirder things.  Every time we got less than 3 scores up I got nervous and would fully agree with MOS that you keep playing to win.

What was most impressive to me was the iron will of the offense in that game especially in the second half. Every time the Elks scored our offense would answer. It was like watching two good prize fighters going at it. After punch and counter-punch the Bombers kept it going on offense. That had to make the D feel good knowing they alone weren't tasked with the responsibility of providing the win. That was the first time this season that that has happened. The real back-breaker though was the Garbutt TD. You just got the impression that the game was truly over at that point (at least I did).
Go Bombers!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: J5V on October 04, 2024, 02:06:19 AMThe real back-breaker though was the Garbutt TD. You just got the impression that the game was truly over at that point (at least I did).

It all depends on the morale.  A good team with discipline and "we can still win" attitude can still be dangerous down 3 scores.  I didn't have any way to gauge EDM morale at the moment.  We could probably guess, given that it's EDM, but since they are improving, who knows.  (Now we know for sure they were melting down because MBT said so in his post-game.)

Remember Tom Brady in that SB vs (I think) the Falcons where they were down like 3 scores and won (after many stupid rigged shenanigans, but I digress).  I bet many teams wouldn't ever take WPG lightly if we were down 3 scores with a whole Q to go!!  You can't sleep on teams with good fire, morale and discipline.
Never go full Rider!

J5V

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 04, 2024, 02:17:25 AMIt all depends on the morale.  A good team with discipline and "we can still win" attitude can still be dangerous down 3 scores.  I didn't have any way to gauge EDM morale at the moment.  We could probably guess, given that it's EDM, but since they are improving, who knows.  (Now we know for sure they were melting down because MBT said so in his post-game.)

Remember Tom Brady in that SB vs (I think) the Falcons where they were down like 3 scores and won (after many stupid rigged shenanigans, but I digress).  I bet many teams wouldn't ever take WPG lightly if we were down 3 scores with a whole Q to go!!  You can't sleep on teams with good fire, morale and discipline.

Agree completely and would only add that when a team is firing on all cylinders (offense, defense, special teams) it results in a formidable force that is going to be nearly impossible to overcome. It's rare to see that kind of balance in a football team but the Bombers certainly displayed it last game and the Elks really had no answer for it. You have to tip your cap to Pierce, Younger, and Miller for the job they've done with the Winnipeg football club. Very impressive performance for players and coaches.
Go Bombers!

Jesse

Quote from: blue_or_die on October 03, 2024, 03:44:42 PMWe can dream...

If that happened in fantasy land, I would sign him for 3 years and defer as much as possible to 2026 and 2027. Without guaranteed contracts though, we would still need to give him a sizeable signing bonus.

Might need to understand Zach's intentions beyond 2025 before that though. If he has gas in the tank and is still playing elite ball, I wouldn't want to ruin his legacy and put the "writing on the wall", especially going into a home Grey Cup year. Being 37 next year though, I'm sure he's thinking that life after football is coming. He should want to go out on top.

Druski has apparently been playing injured. I'm sure he's still their guy.

Let both Zach and Dru play out their contracts. Then we can hold the mega press conference where Zach hands the ball to Dru on Free Agency day in 2026 (With our Grey Cup in the background).
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on October 04, 2024, 12:10:12 PMDruski has apparently been playing injured. I'm sure he's still their guy.

Let both Zach and Dru play out their contracts. Then we can hold the mega press conference where Zach hands the ball to Dru on Free Agency day in 2026 (With our Grey Cup in the background).

Dru is still a question mark, even now.  Alexander may still prove to be the better QB, and the next "big thing".

Even if Dru's body is nicked, his brain has been making some poor decisions/reads.

I wouldn't necessarily tie our ship to any future QB just yet.  Best to let it play out.  Who knows, maybe Wilson is the guy!  (bad odds, but possible!)  Our 2026 QB could be literally anyone... even Zach.
Never go full Rider!