Bombers sign quarterbacks Dolegala, Scott & Others to practice roster

Started by ModAdmin, September 17, 2024, 04:21:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobombersgo

Quote from: Stats Junkie on September 30, 2024, 11:21:26 PMThis move may have been initiated by Scott or his agent. If Scott remained on the Bombers' PR past the trade deadline he would have been tied to Winnipeg for the remainder of the season. By hitting the street prior to the trade deadline, Scott is available to all teams if a QB replacement is required due to injury.

Good to know.

Wasn't TJ Harris released after the trade deadline when Hamilton picked him up?

Stats Junkie

Players released after the trade deadline can still sign with other CFL clubs but they can not play for them in the current season.
Twitter: @Stats_Junkie

I am a Stats Junkie, a Rules Junkie & a Canadian Football History Junkie!

BLUEBOMBER

I don't see us keeping nor should we keep Streveler on the team next season. Yes he can sell tickets but the Bombers don't really need him to sell tickets.

TecnoGenius

Letting Scott go could also be a function of us seeing that Wilson#3 can handle SY.  There was the chance Wilson#3 would "Pigrome" on SY.  But then we got to see him do 2 (3?) SY and do it very well.

I found it more interesting that it appears Wilson is our SY and #2.  When garbage time came with 6:00 left we put him in, not Dolegala.  However, that may be a function of Dolegala still learning the book (only a month here?).

I wonder who we'll start if we get to benefit of garbage season (1 more win and 1 SSK loss) after this week...
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: BLUEBOMBER on October 01, 2024, 03:47:30 AMI don't see us keeping nor should we keep Streveler on the team next season. Yes he can sell tickets but the Bombers don't really need him to sell tickets.

Budget will dictate if Strev is re-signed.  It will be hard to afford Zach + Dolegala.  Strev is still the best SY+#2 in one player, and he comes very very cheap (probably half of Dolegala).

And don't discount the fan-fave aspect.  WM can always wink & nod at KW and remind him of merch sales and fan excitement.  It's not all just about top talent.

Plus, we usually give IR guys a chance to try out again.
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 01, 2024, 09:09:01 AMLetting Scott go could also be a function of us seeing that Wilson#3 can handle SY.  There was the chance Wilson#3 would "Pigrome" on SY.  But then we got to see him do 2 (3?) SY and do it very well.

I found it more interesting that it appears Wilson is our SY and #2.  When garbage time came with 6:00 left we put him in, not Dolegala.  However, that may be a function of Dolegala still learning the book (only a month here?).

I wonder who we'll start if we get to benefit of garbage season (1 more win and 1 SSK loss) after this week...

If anything, the opposite.  Scott is not a SY guy, Dolegala is.  So if it is Dolegala vs. Scott, the fact Wilson can handle SY removes some of the pro argument for Dolegala...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 01, 2024, 09:11:33 AMBudget will dictate if Strev is re-signed.  It will be hard to afford Zach + Dolegala.  Strev is still the best SY+#2 in one player, and he comes very very cheap (probably half of Dolegala).

And don't discount the fan-fave aspect.  WM can always wink & nod at KW and remind him of merch sales and fan excitement.  It's not all just about top talent.

Strev. is maybe making $120k and Dolegala is making less not more, probably league min. in a take it or leave it scenario. I don't know if they should bother re-signing Strev. again next year, I don't see him ever emerging as the Bombers future QB and he's been little better than average on short-yardage this season. They only have a few seasons left to find the replacement for Zach, what's the point in wasting one of the two spots on a temp. role filler?

blue_or_die

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 01, 2024, 09:11:33 AMBudget will dictate if Strev is re-signed.  It will be hard to afford Zach + Dolegala.  Strev is still the best SY+#2 in one player, and he comes very very cheap (probably half of Dolegala).

I don't think there's any way that we keep Dolegala around next year.

My hope is for consistency for the home Grey Cup next year and we feel comfortable having Wilson around as our development guy and he can maybe take that next step. And as long as it's in the budget I would be happy to have Streveler back even if he has underwhelmed this year. Maybe we will come to our senses and figure out how to best utilize his abilities.
#Ride?

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 01, 2024, 04:57:22 PMStrev. is maybe making $120k and Dolegala is making less not more, probably league min. in a take it or leave it scenario.

I haven't seen anything hinting at Dolegala salary, but my guess is $180k.  It may seem cheaper if you heard a whisper number purely because you're hearing the only-for-8-weeks amount, not what he'd cost over a full year.

There are only 2-3 or so couch-sitting, uninjured, experienced, perennial #2's around the CFL right now (or really ever).  I don't think they are desperate signing for peanuts ELC; I think they know their value as the only games in town when a team is down an important #1 or #2.

I think Dolegala knew we had to make a reasonable offer because we were the desperate party, not him.  Fine was still dinged up, no?  Who else is there without requiring a trade?

If someone knows the inside scoop on Dolegala's actual salary (annualized), I'll reevaluate my theory.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: blue_or_die on October 01, 2024, 06:53:44 PMI don't think there's any way that we keep Dolegala around next year.

I totally agree.  If everyone is healthy it'll be Zach/Strev/Wilson in 2025.  The only way Dolegala will stick is if a) he's cheap and b) he lights up the league if he gets a garbage-season game or two.
Never go full Rider!

Sir Blue and Gold

I'm not sure we can afford to let Dolegala go, especially in a Grey Cup hosting year. Streveler can't run our offense and he's coming off a severe knee injury. Who knows when he'll be ready or how he'll look when he does.  Could he really play that style of game and quarterback the Bombers to a Grey Cup next year? Highly doubt it.

Collaros is at the point in his career where every hit requires you to hold your breath and pray his head doesn't hit a helmet or the turf.

Dolegala fits nicely and came along at the exact right time. He can learn the offense this year, and because he's pro-rated it's inexpensive. If he's re-signed he'd have to be the betting favourite to start as the number two guy in 2025. The only argument you could possibly make is that Wilson is better but that's only because he's a total unknown. He probably plays that last game in Montreal and the most likely scenario is he struggles as much as a first year QB almost always does.

Pete

We really dont know who will be available at qb for 2025
Mair?  ,Mtrls Alexander? Ford? Mbt? Powell?
Depending if we have any money banked from this year with all the 6 game injuries and a willingness  to spend above the cap could all be factors
  Personally I don't think that Streveler is the answer or Domagala, They might help win one game but wouldn't sustain it.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Pete on October 02, 2024, 03:01:25 PMWe really dont know who will be available at qb for 2025
Depending if we have any money banked from this year with all the 6 game injuries and a willingness  to spend above the cap could all be factors
  Personally I don't think that Streveler is the answer or Domagala, They might help win one game but wouldn't sustain it.

Totally fair. I would be happy with someone else who has some experience. I think it would be pretty risky and not advised to go into 2025 with Collaros, Wilson and brand new QB from 2025 camp

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on October 02, 2024, 02:49:16 PMI'm not sure we can afford to let Dolegala go, especially in a Grey Cup hosting year. Streveler can't run our offense and he's coming off a severe knee injury. Who knows when he'll be ready or how he'll look when he does.  Could he really play that style of game and quarterback the Bombers to a Grey Cup next year? Highly doubt it.

Collaros is at the point in his career where every hit requires you to hold your breath and pray his head doesn't hit a helmet or the turf.

Dolegala fits nicely and came along at the exact right time. He can learn the offense this year, and because he's pro-rated it's inexpensive. If he's re-signed he'd have to be the betting favourite to start as the number two guy in 2025. The only argument you could possibly make is that Wilson is better but that's only because he's a total unknown. He probably plays that last game in Montreal and the most likely scenario is he struggles as much as a first year QB almost always does.

I wish Wilson would have received more than 5 minutes of playing time in a huge blowout game, those opportunities don't come around often. There was no real reason to play Zach more than 3Q's when they need to give Wilson an honest amount of playing time to overcome the jitters and begin to bring him along.  It's almost as if Dru Brown was a fluke occurrence and they have no active thought patterns functioning beyond Zach.

theaardvark

There will be a lot of QB's out there looking to take the next step.  And with Collaros possibly retiring after 2025, what better place than Winnipeg.

Dynastic team, great front office, fantastic fans and facilities, who wouldn't make WFC their #1 landing spot.

I do not think we will have an issue with putting in place a top #2 guy, if Wilson doesn't earn it himself.

And should Collaros hang them up after the 2025 home Grey Cup run, there will be a lot of QB's that will be on expiring contracts to choose from, no doubt.

If we can develop the next one internally, awesome.  But if we have to take someone away, I am fully confident we can offer a more enticing/exciting position than any other team.

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on October 02, 2024, 03:49:39 PMTotally fair. I would be happy with someone else who has some experience. I think it would be pretty risky and not advised to go into 2025 with Collaros, Wilson and brand new QB from 2025 camp

I do not think we end up with Collaros, Wilson and a rookie in 2025.  Not with the stakes that high.

Quote from: Pete on October 02, 2024, 03:01:25 PMWe really dont know who will be available at qb for 2025

You'd have to wonder just how effective Ford would be on our team.  With Oliveira, Demski and Ford in the backfield, ouch.  And playing with his brother, an added bonus.  When is his deal up?
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.