Our Remaining Games

Started by BBRT, September 14, 2024, 06:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBRT

I was wondering what everyone thinks about our final 5 games.

We are at Edmonton and then Home with Edmonton (maybe win both or split)
Then we have a away game in Hamilton (a win)
Then we have Toronto at home (that one is up for grabs) then a bye and end in Montreal (Montreal has clinched first so might not be playing all their starters so I am going with a win).

I belive I saw a post out on X that indicated if we can win 4 of the 5 we lock up first regardless of what any of the other Western Teams do.

Not sure I can get comfortable with winning 4 out of 5. Might be 3 out of 5 or even 2 out of 5.

Just curious what everyone else thinks.

ModAdmin

4 out of 5 is certainly within reach but, a always, subject to several "ifs".

If we can improve our offensive production,

If we can avoid serious injuries to key players, especially ZC8,

If SB66 returns to the lineup after the bye,

If our D and ST continue to maintain/build on their performances.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

J5V

Some time ago when we were doing badly I looked ahead and predicted a record of 8-10. It's looking good that I may be close although I definitely didn't pick the rights games to win and lose. If we go 3-2 in the remaining five we'll be 10-8 and I never saw that coming at all. Even 2-3 would see us at 9-9, a record that would have seemed impossible not that long ago.

To answer your question, I see us splitting with Edm, winning against Hamilton, and splitting Toronto and Montreal to go 3-2 and finishing 10-8.
Go Bombers!

barbk

Quote from: BBRT on September 14, 2024, 06:51:59 PMI was wondering what everyone thinks about our final 5 games.

We are at Edmonton and then Home with Edmonton (maybe win both or split)
Then we have a away game in Hamilton (a win)
Then we have Toronto at home (that one is up for grabs) then a bye and end in Montreal (Montreal has clinched first so might not be playing all their starters so I am going with a win).

I belive I saw a post out on X that indicated if we can win 4 of the 5 we lock up first regardless of what any of the other Western Teams do.

Not sure I can get comfortable with winning 4 out of 5. Might be 3 out of 5 or even 2 out of 5.

Just curious what everyone else thinks.
I expect the bombers to have a split with Edmonton, we win at home with Edmonton.  We win Toronto at home and we always have problems winning in Hamilton and the players from Hamilton will be playing for next season so I predict we don't win that game.  I also think Montreal will play their starters (pre Grey Cup game and getting ready for East Finals).  So I don't think we win that game.  So our next 5 games we will go 2 and 3.  My predictions are 1) BC 2) Wpg 3) Edmonton but hope I'm wrong.

Sir Blue and Gold

I actually think that this 7-2 stretch might be the high watermark for this team. O'Shea has done a really good job squeezing out wins after an 0-4 start but I think Edmonton is going to give us fits along the offensive and defensive line and ultimately I'm expecting them to win both games.

After that, who knows. I'm also pretty terrible at predictions so I hope I'm wrong but I don't know what we're going to hang our hat on in the cooler whether games. We can't pressure the quarterback on defense and we have a hard time scoring touchdowns. Winning ugly is only going to take us so far, I think.

Blueforlife

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on September 14, 2024, 07:25:47 PMI actually think that this 7-2 stretch might be the high watermark for this team. O'Shea has done a really good job squeezing out wins after an 0-4 start but I think Edmonton is going to give us fits along the offensive and defensive line and ultimately I'm expecting them to win both games.

After that, who knows. I'm also pretty terrible at predictions so I hope I'm wrong but I don't know what we're going to hang our hat on in the cooler whether games. We can't pressure the quarterback on defense and we have a hard time scoring touchdowns. Winning ugly is only going to take us so far, I think.
I expect at least a split with Edmonton.  Won't be  easy games to be sure.

Hamilton won't be easy if we see good Bo.  Toronto isn't great but great DL.  Montreal will be resting players and should be a reasonable game to win.

3 for 5 I my expectation.  Maybe 4 for 5.

We can get pressure on a QB (but yes not our strength).  I see us needing to steal one game and maybe win another on the strength of our D.  I see a club playing good in all three phases, need to be great most games to get the victories I predict. We have one of the best defenses in the league.

I believe we are build for cold weather and our veterans, good coaching and team culture will come through when it matters the most.

Our backup QB situation needs to sort itself out as it's an important aspect of any club.

I see injuries the only thing slowing us down.

Go Blue!

Sir Blue and Gold

Hope you're right! It wouldn't surprise me if we have a good end to the season. It's just that offense usually gets harder not easier at this point in the season. Being effective in cold weather usually means winning along the lines of scrimmage and we just haven't been able to do that very much this year. I'm excited to find out though!

A couple of wins and we're hosting the west final once again and then all bets are off. I think we're going to have to play better in the last five games than we have all year to get that done though and I'm not convinced we will suddenly do that.

gobombersgo

Remaining weeks:

Wpg: at Edm, home vs Edm, at Ham, home vs Tor,  bye, at Mtl

B.C.: bye, home vs Ham, home vs Cgy, at Sask, home vs Mtl, bye

Sask: at Cgy, home vs Ott, at Edm, home vs B.C., bye, home vs Cgy

Edm: home vs Wpg, at Wpg, home vs Sask, at Cgy, bye, home vs Tor

Cgy: home vs Sask, bye, at B.C., home vs Edm, at Ham, at Sask

Blueforlife

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on September 15, 2024, 01:16:12 AMHope you're right! It wouldn't surprise me if we have a good end to the season. It's just that offense usually gets harder not easier at this point in the season. Being effective in cold weather usually means winning along the lines of scrimmage and we just haven't been able to do that very much this year. I'm excited to find out though!

A couple of wins and we're hosting the west final once again and then all bets are off. I think we're going to have to play better in the last five games than we have all year to get that done though and I'm not convinced we will suddenly do that.
Yeah I was thinking about how this time of year the wins do get much more difficult.  Even the poor teams get better, play loose and like to do the spoiler thing.  Nobody could have predicted our decline and then rebound.  The last 3rd of the season will be just an unpredictable.  One of the reasons why the CFL is so great, the path to success is rarely a linear process.

Blue In BC

Injury status accumulates as the season progresses. Perhaps we're about to get a few players back but we're still losing players in both short and long term situations.

There seems to be some suggestion we might see Wallace back shortly. Decisions will be made on a few PR players that came off the IR recently.

Still waiting to see if Bighill has any chance of return to the AR.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: barbk on September 14, 2024, 07:17:50 PMI also think Montreal will play their starters (pre Grey Cup game and getting ready for East Finals).  So I don't think we win that game.  So our next 5 games we will go 2 and 3.  My predictions are 1) BC 2) Wpg 3) Edmonton but hope I'm wrong.

Look at basically every team who clinched first and had the benefit of garbage season games in the last 5 seasons.  I can't think of a single one who didn't take the chance to rest nearly everyone who needed it or was too valuable to risk to injury.  Usually half (or more) of the Rs/RBs/QBs, and around a third of the D.  (Often most of the OL and much of the DL will still play.)

It's almost a certainty MTL will clinch first, and they will rest starters for their final game(s).  The only question is "when".  Hopefully they clinch just before our game, but not sooner, as we will want them to beat their remaining West team matchups.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 15, 2024, 02:17:52 PMStill waiting to see if Bighill has any chance of return to the AR.

I say he's gone for 9+ months, and thus probably forever.  I'd say the very best case is he did to his knee what AH33 did in his last season here... where it looked really bad but he was able to come back and play on it for the playoffs (though not 100%).

Let's say it is the AH33 situation redux: I say keep him out anyhow.  A 50% Biggie will have the same result as the '23 GC: somewhat ineffective and leaving mid-game.  I treat every single AR spot in the GC as absolutely critical.  We need healthy players.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Here's a scenario:

WPG's O finally gets hot in the home stretch into the playoffs.  It's been the weak link all season.  Rookies now have experience, IR guys coming back, OL finally gelling, Zach playing sharper.

What if everyone comes together and the O starts lighting everyone up.  And they keep getting better all the way through a home WDF and into the cup, finally getting that cup again.  (Maybe against Dru??)

That's my prediction!  We win at least 4, and I think we sweep EDM.
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: barbk on September 14, 2024, 07:17:50 PMI expect the bombers to have a split with Edmonton, we win at home with Edmonton.  We win Toronto at home and we always have problems winning in Hamilton and the players from Hamilton will be playing for next season so I predict we don't win that game.  I also think Montreal will play their starters (pre Grey Cup game and getting ready for East Finals).  So I don't think we win that game.  So our next 5 games we will go 2 and 3.  My predictions are 1) BC 2) Wpg 3) Edmonton but hope I'm wrong.

Holy cow, barb!

You're gutting me here, I'm trying to be optimistic.
My wife is amazing!

peg_city

We finish 3-2. Lions finish 3-1. We finish first in the west.

The lions loss last week really showed they have flaws.