Argos at BC GDT Friday 9PM CT

Started by GOLDMEMBER, September 12, 2024, 06:05:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waffler

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 14, 2024, 04:22:55 AMYa, I have to admit it was a major screwup letting him go.  I thought he may have been fading last season... but he was probably just nursing his injury still.  To think we lost out on Grant by maybe $25k.  Ugh

I think he'd be having less success here though. Our blocking seems to leave whoever has been returning no where to go. No question he is still the best though.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

bwiser

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 14, 2024, 01:33:22 PMSorry to see Hollins get injured. I'm not sure if that was a separation or broken collar bone. He was in a lot of pain and I suspect he's gone for an extended time.

Peters might have to miss a game due to concussion protocol. He didn't seem to know where he was after that hit.

Bombers now have a game in hand on top of the season series. Win our next game and the Lions will need to win 2 more games out of their last 4 to pass us.

We also don't want to give the Elks any momentum, so put them out of the play off race. :)
No truer words have been spoken. Right now Edmonton looks like the second best team in the west.

dd

Lions needed to win that game to keep in the hunt for first place, they blew it big time. And you're right, who d have figured Edmonton would rise from the dead like they have but we win next game and first place for us looks very good

Pete

I think both qbs are looking over their shoulder and being adversely effected. They can pretend they are all one big happy group but each one wants to be THE guy.
   Adams likely feels hes given a lot to this team both financially and physically only to be supplanted the moment Rourke became available
  Rourke has come in after being beaten out by numerous second and third string qbs in the nfl and now his coach is saying they are reevaluating the qb situation on bye week.
  Trade for Maier or Powers as a definite back  up and get a higher 1st rnd draft pick to replace the one they will lose  for exceeding the cap.

markf

why do so many coaches in the CFL refuse to run the ball?

Bombers won two Grey Cups partly with a strong running game.

B.C. has shown that they have a good running game. Q.B. struggling a bit? help him out. run the ball.

and yet... first half.. (all I watched) they did not use it.

I do not know one percent of what these guys know, but.....I just do not understand.

Pete

Defences stack against the run on first down, 2nd and long is tough in cfl as teams blitz even more. Its a passing league which is why qbs are paid double the amount of even the best players at other positions
Also we've seen a lot more emphasis on the short passes along the line replacing running plays

TBURGESS

The Lions are the most inconsistent team in the league.

Last week they beat the best team in the league this week they couldn't get a first down against the Argos in a quarter.

Last few weeks they've run the ball to set up shorter 2nd downs and then throw some bombs. This week they tried to simply throw the bombs without setting them up with the run resulting in 2 & outs.

Last week Rourke looked like he was back. This week he looked confused again. It looked like he finally got it just before the half then they start VAJ in the 2nd half? ***?

Last couple of weeks the Lions defence fixed their tackling problems. This week they went back to allowing runners to drag them and deke them and generally bounce off of them. Still they held the Argos to FG's instead of TD's until the last seconds of the first half.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

J5V

Quote from: markf on September 14, 2024, 03:00:21 PMwhy do so many coaches in the CFL refuse to run the ball?

Bombers won two Grey Cups partly with a strong running game.

B.C. has shown that they have a good running game. Q.B. struggling a bit? help him out. run the ball.

and yet... first half.. (all I watched) they did not use it.

I do not know one percent of what these guys know, but.....I just do not understand.
I'm with ya, man. I don't get it either, especially with a back like Stanbach. I'd run that guy as long as possible each and every game. BC owner not going to be happy with the product he's overpaid for.
Go Bombers!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pete on September 14, 2024, 02:49:44 PMI think both qbs are looking over their shoulder and being adversely effected. They can pretend they are all one big happy group but each one wants to be THE guy.
   Adams likely feels hes given a lot to this team both financially and physically only to be supplanted the moment Rourke became available
  Rourke has come in after being beaten out by numerous second and third string qbs in the nfl and now his coach is saying they are reevaluating the qb situation on bye week.
  Trade for Maier or Powers as a definite back  up and get a higher 1st rnd draft pick to replace the one they will lose  for exceeding the cap.

I don't know about that. Lions look for the deep ball / big play too often. It's their downfall. Their running game is usually not very good in most games. It was that way in 2022 and 2023 as well.

I'm not as convinced about Stanback as some others. However they aren't using him well often enough.

Nothing new here.

EDIT: Hollins has been the target 25% of the time on passing plays. This is the equivalent of us losing Schoen.  In 2023 he was targeted 111 time.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

peg_city

This was a suprise.

BC has a sub-par defense, sub-par o-line and a co-ordinator who can't come up with a half decent game plan on a weekly basis.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: gobombersgo on September 14, 2024, 08:34:36 AM

I figured Kelly and the Argos would come back with a vengeance after the loss to Ottawa, they're a better team than most give them credit for. 

Sir Blue and Gold

Anyone else getting weird vibes from Rourke? He's definitely bought into himself being a peg above the rest, or is it just me?

He's saying the right things mostly but I'm not sure if he actually believes them. Lots of attention on himself.

markf

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on September 14, 2024, 05:02:05 PMAnyone else getting weird vibes from Rourke? He's definitely bought into himself being a peg above the rest, or is it just me?

He's saying the right things mostly but I'm not sure if he actually believes them. Lots of attention on himself.

"Rourke was born in Victoria, British Columbia and grew up in Oakville, Ontario. He played minor football for the Burlington Stampeders before playing for three years at Holy Trinity Catholic Secondary School in Oakville.[2]

He transferred to Edgewood Academy in Elmore, Alabama, for his senior season of high school football."

Canadian high school boy going to Alabama to play high school football.

Maybe he's been getting treated like football royalty since he was a kid.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on September 14, 2024, 05:02:05 PMAnyone else getting weird vibes from Rourke? He's definitely bought into himself being a peg above the rest, or is it just me?

I think he sincerely doesn't like the extra attention, seems like a really good kid.

ModAdmin

Agree on this.  His look and demeanour on the sidelines at least suggests he's not happy at being pulled from the last game.  Probably inserting the 3rd string guy also added insult to injury.  I somewhat understand that but Campbell made the right decision.  Rourke simply was not performing well.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden