Argos at BC GDT Friday 9PM CT

Started by GOLDMEMBER, September 12, 2024, 06:05:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dd

Rourke is an immature, self centred spoiled brat. I would hate to be his teammate. He isn't as good as he thinks he is, and I can really see why he didn't stick in the nfl——he isn't really THAT good.

The media goes out of its way every time possible to 'sell' Rourke as a Qb, only because he's Canadian. Tired of it. Tired of his smug holier than thou personality. Hope he struggles the rest of the year and the Lions go to zero with a bullet.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on September 15, 2024, 03:18:27 AMRourke is an immature, self centred spoiled brat. I would hate to be his teammate. He isn't as good as he thinks he is, and I can really see why he didn't stick in the nfl——he isn't really THAT good.

I think he's good, but he's not consistent.  And he was thrust in very quickly and early.  Most good CFL QBs put in their 2-3 seasons as understudies.  Almost none of them start meaningful games in year 1 or even year 2.

At the start of '24 he basically had 1.5 years under his belt.  It's a big ask to make him the league-top$$ QB and get the home team to the GC.  Not many could take the pressure with only 1.5 years dev.

I think he's young, and will make "rookie" mistakes, and have setbacks.  He does seem to have the tools, though I'm still not sure what his IQ level is.

The main thing if you're Rourke or BC is you don't want to destroy him mentally and emotionally having thrust him into this position.  But they kind of put everyone in a bind where it may be impossible to reverse course.  Everyone hopes he's not another Jennings.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 15, 2024, 03:32:20 AMI think he's good, but he's not consistent.  And he was thrust in very quickly and early.  Most good CFL QBs put in their 2-3 seasons as understudies.  Almost none of them start meaningful games in year 1 or even year 2.

At the start of '24 he basically had 1.5 years under his belt.  It's a big ask to make him the league-top$$ QB and get the home team to the GC.  Not many could take the pressure with only 1.5 years dev.

I think he's young, and will make "rookie" mistakes, and have setbacks.  He does seem to have the tools, though I'm still not sure what his IQ level is.

The main thing if you're Rourke or BC is you don't want to destroy him mentally and emotionally having thrust him into this position.  But they kind of put everyone in a bind where it may be impossible to reverse course.  Everyone hopes he's not another Jennings.

You've referenced Jennings multiple times as a failure, just so you know he had shoulder surgery and never regained his arm strength or his accuracy, which lead to his demise in Ottawa.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 15, 2024, 06:08:27 AMYou've referenced Jennings multiple times as a failure, just so you know he had shoulder surgery and never regained his arm strength or his accuracy, which lead to his demise in Ottawa.

My memory is hazy, and not sure how to look up this type of info, but wasn't he going bad before surgery?  I'm trying to remember the sequence of events and what team he was on when he got the surgery.

I don't mean to pick on a guy ruined by injury, I'm just looking at the play level, regardless of reason.  If you suck, no one cares why, you're going to get cut.  Happened to one of my favorite QBs ever: Nichols.  It's sad.

I'll keep using Jennings as my example of my "promising young/new guy who briefly lights up the league on a good team then peters out on weaker teams".  If you prefer, remove Jennings and we'll shorten my main list to Franklin/Arbuckle.  My main point isn't the "who", it's that this class of QB exists, and it's a warning for GMs who are too quick to risk it all on non-vet QBs.

Who knows, the latest additions to this list may be: Rourke, Kelly, Alexander!!  History says 1 or 2 of these guys may turn into a bust.  And the funny thing is: it's not always who you think it will be.
Never go full Rider!

Waffler

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 15, 2024, 08:48:29 AMI'll keep using Jennings as my example of my "promising young/new guy who briefly lights up the league on a good team then peters out on weaker teams".  If you prefer, remove Jennings and we'll shorten my main list to Franklin/Arbuckle.  My main point isn't the "who", it's that this class of QB exists, and it's a warning for GMs who are too quick to risk it all on non-vet QBs.

Casey Printers is the poster boy and ever shall remain so. Once upon a time the highest paid player in the league based on one good season.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

markf

Chad Kelly

" The controversial passer indicated in several social media posts that he was keeping track of those who spoke negatively about him amidst the allegations, but declined to comment when asked if Rourke's tweet provided him with extra motivation against B.C."

https://3downnation.com/2024/09/14/i-stand-by-what-i-said-b-c-lions-qb-nathan-rourke-doesnt-regret-chad-kelly-harassment-comments-despite-loss-to-argos/

Blue In BC

Lions fans are in meltdown mode. $1M tied up in QB SMS and they are losing. IMO it falls largely on their OC and that penchant for the deep ball / big play offence. An inability to stick with any run game.

Lions defence is not getting the opponent off the field. That's a bit of a two street since their offence doesn't stay on the field when they have the ball.

It's the time of the year where we'll see roster adjustments. Some injured players will return or be added from NFL cuts. Small possibilities of trade speculation will come up.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 15, 2024, 02:16:01 AMThey have unlimited money now.  They clearly don't care about the SMS.  I wouldn't put it past them to pick up any late big $$ castoffs that look promising.  In for a SMS overage penny, in for a 1 million overage pound.  Past $300k there is no further real penalty, so if you're already at $300k, might as well go $1M.

Yup, I'm sure Doman would love to throw away an extra million. That seems like a sound business decision.
My wife is amazing!

Sir Blue and Gold

I'm sure "unlimited money" would have done better against the Argos, no?

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Jesse on September 15, 2024, 04:12:35 PMYup, I'm sure Doman would love to throw away an extra million. That seems like a sound business decision.

When all the money spent doesn't get the job done, I wonder if Doman starts meddling with the coaching staff and turfs Campbell.

Pigskin

I really like the Argo's front 7. Would like to have some of that pass rush.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

bunker

Quote from: Pigskin on September 15, 2024, 10:49:25 PMI really like the Argo's front 7. Would like to have some of that pass rush.
Their front 4-5 (including Parish) was outstanding against BC. Their LB to me are not league best, but once they get McManis back, that could change.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on September 15, 2024, 04:12:35 PMYup, I'm sure Doman would love to throw away an extra million. That seems like a sound business decision.

1. When you're made of money, $1M+$3M fine is nothing.

2. What is it worth to have BC in their home GC?  It's a huge stadium.  10k more tickets sold?  20k?  $400 avg x 10k = $4M... well look at that, eh?

3. Once you've gone over $300k + fines, why not do more?  Ya he probably won't reach $1M, but why not blow another $100k on 1-2 misc pickups to make them unbeatable in the WDF?  Then do it again... and again...

I would have never thought such a thing was possible, but then they bought Betts after already being way over with Rourke.  Now anything is possible.  Only if Ambrosie gave them a call to rein them in will the shenanigans stop.  Did Ambrosie do that?
Never go full Rider!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 16, 2024, 05:05:50 AM1. When you're made of money, $1M+$3M fine is nothing.

2. What is it worth to have BC in their home GC?  It's a huge stadium.  10k more tickets sold?  20k?  $400 avg x 10k = $4M... well look at that, eh?

3. Once you've gone over $300k + fines, why not do more?  Ya he probably won't reach $1M, but why not blow another $100k on 1-2 misc pickups to make them unbeatable in the WDF?  Then do it again... and again...

I would have never thought such a thing was possible, but then they bought Betts after already being way over with Rourke.  Now anything is possible.  Only if Ambrosie gave them a call to rein them in will the shenanigans stop.  Did Ambrosie do that?

Most people who are "made of money" don't get there by wasting millions of it in fines.

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 16, 2024, 05:05:50 AM1. When you're made of money, $1M+$3M fine is nothing.

Absolutely nuts. Not to mention there are no known top players just floating around waiting to be signed. Even if there were there is no guarantee it automatically gets them into the Grey Cup.
2019 Grey Cup Champions