Report: Bombers to sign QBs Jake Dolegala & Bryan Scott

Started by Sir Blue and Gold, September 11, 2024, 10:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Blue and Gold

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers are signing quarterback Jake Dolegala and Bryan Scott, a source has confirmed to 3DownNation. TSN's Dave Naylor was the first to report the news.

Dolegala was released by the B.C. Lions in mid-August following the team's signing of Nathan Rourke. The six-foot-seven, 242-pound passer started one game for the team earlier this year and completed 14-of-23 pass attempts for 146 yards in a 33-16 loss to the Edmonton Elks.

Scott was released by the Toronto Argonauts in mid-August following the reinstatement of Chad Kelly. He dressed for nine games in a backup role, completing all five of his pass attempts for 79 yards and a touchdown during his team's loss to the Montreal Alouettes in Week 4.

https://3downnation.com/2024/09/11/winnipeg-blue-bombers-to-sign-qbs-jake-dolegala-bryan-scott/

Sir Blue and Gold

Both good signings. My guess is Dolegala to the number 2 spot and Scott to the soon-to-be-expanded practice roster.

TecnoGenius

Does Dolegala count as a "vet" for vet release deadlines?  Did we just sign a guy we cannot release until FA, even if a better QB comes along?  Or are there special release rules for super late pickups like this?
Never go full Rider!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 12, 2024, 11:00:20 AMDoes Dolegala count as a "vet" for vet release deadlines?  Did we just sign a guy we cannot release until FA, even if a better QB comes along?  Or are there special release rules for super late pickups like this?

That's a really odd way to look at it. What are you trying to protect? The ability to release one or both a week before the playoffs and save a single game cheque? Why? Who cares?

The Bombers hold most of the cards. They either sign one or both to a one year deal and pay for five games + playoffs at which time they, and all the other players on expiring deals are on equal footing (unless Scott ends up on the PR in which case he's an FA a little earlier). Alternatively, if they like one of both enough, they do a two year deal and bring them to camp in 2025 and let the chips fall where they may.

In my opinion, with Dolegala and Scott, we've got the best QB room since Dru Brown left and it would certainly be in our interest to try and get both players to sign for two years. They still have to make the team in the spring but the learning starts now and over the off-season which is a huge advantage for us heading into a Grey Cup host year. If I was forced to bet, both Dolegala and Scott would beat out Wilson in camp in next year. I don't even think it would be close.

Pete

Makes sense to me, theres a lot of film on Dolegala, they pretty much know what he brings. Scott not so much, but he would appear to have a bigger upside. We'll see who is a better fit.
  I do know Scott outperformed Wilson in preseason in fact Wilson got the backup role basically by default as Barriere was awful

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on September 12, 2024, 01:27:50 PMThat's a really odd way to look at it. What are you trying to protect? The ability to release one or both a week before the playoffs and save a single game cheque? Why? Who cares?

The Bombers hold most of the cards. They either sign one or both to a one year deal and pay for five games + playoffs at which time they, and all the other players on expiring deals are on equal footing (unless Scott ends up on the PR in which case he's an FA a little earlier). Alternatively, if they like one of both enough, they do a two year deal and bring them to camp in 2025 and let the chips fall where they may.

In my opinion, with Dolegala and Scott, we've got the best QB room since Dru Brown left and it would certainly be in our interest to try and get both players to sign for two years. They still have to make the team in the spring but the learning starts now and over the off-season which is a huge advantage for us heading into a Grey Cup host year. If I was forced to bet, both Dolegala and Scott would beat out Wilson in camp in next year. I don't even think it would be close.

Sounds good, and once Zach retires Dolegala will be ready to step into the starters role......AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH........EEEEEEEKKKKKKK!!!

dd

2 good signings...will give us a chance to evaluate, Strev stock slipped this year, will be interested who gets the #2 Qb contract offer in the off season,

J5V

Go Bombers!

markf

Quote from: J5V on September 12, 2024, 11:30:46 PMLike what I see here ...

Bryan Scott Highlites

Sure looks good...... Correct me if I'm wrong, footwork, throwing motion, polished, arm strength accuracy all good.

Latest very smart move by walters?

And thanks!

M.O.A.B.

How about this guy?

QB Casey Bauman (N)
CFL rights holder: None

The native of Sumas, Wash. qualified for Canadian citizenship through his B.C.-born mother ahead of the 2024 CFL Draft but got scooped up by an NFL team following a solid showing at the CFL Combine. The six-foot-six, 229-pound passer spent the past two seasons at Augustana University, completing 61.0 percent of his passes for 4,160 yards, 43 touchdowns, and 19 interceptions and rushing for 572 yards and six touchdowns.

J5V

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on September 13, 2024, 01:54:32 AMHow about this guy?

QB Casey Bauman (N)
CFL rights holder: None

The native of Sumas, Wash. qualified for Canadian citizenship through his B.C.-born mother ahead of the 2024 CFL Draft but got scooped up by an NFL team following a solid showing at the CFL Combine. The six-foot-six, 229-pound passer spent the past two seasons at Augustana University, completing 61.0 percent of his passes for 4,160 yards, 43 touchdowns, and 19 interceptions and rushing for 572 yards and six touchdowns.
Sure, why not? Big boy! Throws a nice ball, runs well. But does he have that certain something to qualify him as a bomber? At least he looks good in Blue and Gold! :)
Go Bombers!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on September 12, 2024, 01:27:50 PMThat's a really odd way to look at it. What are you trying to protect? The ability to release one or both a week before the playoffs and save a single game cheque? Why? Who cares?

A PR spot.  If we can't release him he'll rot on the PR wasting a spot we could use for someone else.  Let's say HAM/OTT calls us up tomorrow and offers a trade for Powell/Masoli and only wants like a 2nd RDP for him.  Ya, I'm all over that, but if we can't cut Jake then we're down a PR guy rolling into the post-season.

(Yes, you're right, the $$ doesn't matter at all, not even SMS-$$.)

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on September 12, 2024, 01:27:50 PMIn my opinion, with Dolegala and Scott, we've got the best QB room since Dru Brown left and it would certainly be in our interest to try and get both players to sign for two years.

I'll take whatever you're smoking!  Dolegala was basically (trying to be PC here) lackluster in SSK and BC and absolutely no one in either fanbase was sad to see him leave.  The only game I remember him winning in SSK was the LDC, though I'm sure he had a couple more.

Now that he's our only hope if Zach goes down, I'll root for the guy and hope for the best.  I really will.  But we have to be realistic.  If Zach goes down and Dolegala starts we're going .250 real fast, and the post-season will be 1'n'done.

And I see no way in heck he's our #2 in 2025 once we get to pick from every FA QB in the league!

Maybe he can keep improving and be a legit #1 in the future (don't bet the farm on it), but that future isn't right now, and all we care about is right now ('24 and '25).

Maybe the secret best thing about this deal is he can give us some debriefs on the BC O, which will probably help come WDF.  The other teams did that to us the last few seasons: it's nice to return the favor.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Never go full Rider!

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!