Spot for Return Penalties

Started by TecnoGenius, September 09, 2024, 02:13:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

I was trying to make sense of the kick return penalty spots in the BB.  There's the famous one near the end were the refs kept moving the spot back, but also other instances too.

I always thought upon penalty (IB, holding) the spot was where the ball was caught, minus the penalty yardage... but it looks like I'm wrong.  Sort of.

Section 10 Kick Returns
(c) When a penalty is called on a kick return for a foul such as holding or an illegal block, the return will be measured only to the point at which the penalty is applied.

So does this mean that they take the spot of the foul and ignore any further return beyond that point like it never happened?  Then apply the penalty from that spot to get the final spot?

And if the return never makes it as far as the spot of the foul then the returner gets the full return yardage, minus the penalty?

So does this mean that if you commit IB/H on a return you should do it really early in the return as blockers/coverage are still sprinting into position?  Because if you commit the foul early on then chances are the returner won't ever make it to your point and the only downside is you lose 10 off the final return spot?  Or, likewise, if the returner has already passed the initial coverage, commit your IB as late as possible?

So, why not do this: on every KO we receive, we start at the opponent 45.   They start at their 30.  Why not run straight at them and meet around the 40.  Have all 11 blockers tackle and hold/pin down their opponents at the 40 (ignore the kicker).  The returner now has a free run to the opponent 40 (about a 55Y return) where he can just take a knee.  Only one 10Y IB penalty can apply (with 10 "declines") and we start every single KO at the opponent 50.  That's basically FG range for Castillo, and far better than the average of 35-40YL on our side.  Would it work?
Never go full Rider!

Sir Blue and Gold

Because if the ball is in the air (as in not yet caught by the returner) the holding penalty is assessed where the returner first contacts (usually catches) the ball.

This is what happened in the Banjo Bowl to the Riders.

Stats Junkie

If the penalty is "while the ball was in flight" the penalty is applied from the spot that the ball is first touched. The official will drop his blue beanbag to designate the spot. The returner will not be charged with a punt return.

If the penalty is "during the return" the penalty is applied from the spot that the returner is at when the foul is committed. The returner gets credit for the return to that spot and any further yards are forfeited.

The ball often gets respotted for "during the return" penalties especially if the foul is far away from the ball.
Twitter: @Stats_Junkie
Threads: statsjunkie71

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on September 09, 2024, 02:16:56 AMBecause if the ball is in the air (as in not yet caught by the returner) the holding penalty is assessed where the returner first contacts (usually catches) the ball.

This is what happened in the Banjo Bowl to the Riders.

Ah, I see it now.  It has nothing to do with the spot of the foul "during the return", it's the spot the returner is at at the same moment the foul occurs.  Just like you say!!  Now the math makes sense.

I don't see how the refs could possibly judge this (spot-wise) themselves: this must be purely a function of EITS/command.  No wonder they correct the spot so often.

So at 4Q14:19 Alford catches it at his 2.  Returns it to the 35.  Eventually the final spot Trevor starts at is his 9.  So that was after a 10Y penalty.  So either the foul occurred right as Alford was at the 19 (or the 18 if the half-the-distance rule applies here).

Too bad we only catch a glimpse of #17 (Ford), and he is near midfield where the flag was thrown.  We never get to see the actual foul.

I'm so glad the refs finally started calling ever-hold SSK, as they are notorious for holding on ST for so many years now.  In fact, in this play you can see every SSK player holding just that extra little bit, so many pushing the line.  I'm not surprised they got called out for it so many times in the last 2 games.

Thanks Junkie & Sir B&G!

P.S. I wonder why they don't -- and whether they should -- negate the entire return when a foul occurs "during the return".  It might keep teams cleaner, and it definitely makes the refs' spot job easier, and probably would help the fans not get so ornery if they don't know the intricacies of the rule.

P.P.S. The "in flight" differentiation would preclude my "tackle & hold everyone" idea.  Good thing for that!
Never go full Rider!