Bombers vs Elks - pregame discussion

Started by The Zipp, September 08, 2024, 11:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

seeing that ac leonard is returning I wonder what shape Jeffcoat is in?

theaardvark

Quote from: Pete on September 20, 2024, 02:12:59 AMseeing that ac leonard is returning I wonder what shape Jeffcoat is in?

Why?

We have Haba, Garbutt and Ogbevoen and Owen on the PR. 

If Jeffcoat is heathy and in game shape, sure.  Not a lot of cost and he is a dynamic player.  But I think Haba or Garbutt is better than an 80% Jeffcoat..
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pigskin

Quote from: theaardvark on September 20, 2024, 03:22:32 AMWhy?

We have Haba, Garbutt and Ogbevoen and Owen on the PR. 

If Jeffcoat is heathy and in game shape, sure.  Not a lot of cost and he is a dynamic player.  But I think Haba or Garbutt is better than an 80% Jeffcoat..

Haba and Garbutt together 13 games, 13 DTs, 1 Sack.

So yes, I would like to see us improve our DE position. Maybe a player like Shane Ray who is currently a FA.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: BlueFire on September 19, 2024, 01:19:53 PMLess than 500 tickets left for the Elks. Sell-out shortly. Then we sell out the Argos to finish up the regular season and show the league who has the best fans.Winning cures all.

The "cold" games are nearly impossible to sell out, except maybe a home WDF... and even then!  Only the diehards go to a reg season game when it's below -5C w/windchill.

Thankfully, the schedule makers were really smart with @WPG games this year.  Only 1 cold game, and, because it's mid-month and not the usual end-of-month, there's a good chance it won't even be cold yet.

The home WDF game... that'll be a different story!
Never go full Rider!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Pete on September 20, 2024, 02:12:59 AMseeing that ac leonard is returning I wonder what shape Jeffcoat is in?

Jeffcoat retired.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

Blue In BC

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on September 20, 2024, 01:34:30 PMJeffcoat retired.

Players also un-retire. I'm not suggesting he will or we want him to but that doesn't close the door.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 20, 2024, 01:36:40 PMPlayers also un-retire. I'm not suggesting he will or we want him to but that doesn't close the door.

For there to be any interest on either side, the player must be in or near game shape.  Most players, when they retire, do not maintain the strict workout regimen that they would during the season.  And linemen that have those extra pounds on their frames to allow them more push start to lean themselves out for long term health.  Putting those pounds and muscle back on isn't a thing you do in a week.

The nicest thing about time off is allowing the body to heal.  No doubt from an aches and pains, and nagging nicks standpoint, Jeffcoat should be in prime shape.  Its just whether he has maintained the physical side of things, which is tough, especially if you've taken a day job.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on September 20, 2024, 02:44:14 PMFor there to be any interest on either side, the player must be in or near game shape.  Most players, when they retire, do not maintain the strict workout regimen that they would during the season.  And linemen that have those extra pounds on their frames to allow them more push start to lean themselves out for long term health.  Putting those pounds and muscle back on isn't a thing you do in a week.

The nicest thing about time off is allowing the body to heal.  No doubt from an aches and pains, and nagging nicks standpoint, Jeffcoat should be in prime shape.  Its just whether he has maintained the physical side of things, which is tough, especially if you've taken a day job.

Sure. I don't expect him to be back but did anyone expect Leonard back? OTOH if the Bombers finish in 1st his interest might peak about a return for the play offs.

We don't know his current physical level or interest for that matter. It's an interesting thought if we experience any more injuries at DE.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pete

He recently did a youtube interview, hes currently in real estate, he does work out but not nearly to extent as he would getting ready for training camp. Although his body does feel better. Doesn't sound like hes in any game shape currently

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pete on September 20, 2024, 03:48:25 PMHe recently did a youtube interview, hes currently in real estate, he does work out but not nearly to extent as he would getting ready for training camp. Although his body does feel better. Doesn't sound like hes in any game shape currently

If it was the same interview I watched in the spring he was definitive and closed the door on playing football, but he'd be playing today and making a difference if Walters would have offered him a fair contract instead of the cold shoulder after 6 years of outstanding service.

blue_or_die

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 20, 2024, 07:41:48 AMThe "cold" games are nearly impossible to sell out, except maybe a home WDF... and even then!  Only the diehards go to a reg season game when it's below -5C w/windchill.

Thankfully, the schedule makers were really smart with @WPG games this year.  Only 1 cold game, and, because it's mid-month and not the usual end-of-month, there's a good chance it won't even be cold yet.

The home WDF game... that'll be a different story!

That's true but with all the hype around this team the last several years and past success selling tickets to a home playoff game, I fully expect an incredibly successful one this year too.
#Ride?

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 20, 2024, 05:08:27 PMIf it was the same interview I watched in the spring he was definitive and closed the door on playing football, but he'd be playing today and making a difference if Walters would have offered him a fair contract instead of the cold shoulder after 6 years of outstanding service.

We have no idea what actual shape Jeffcoat was in pre-season, he hasn't played a full season ever, IIRC.  And we don't know what the circumstances of the negotiations were, but this offseason was the worst on record for tough decisions about the roster.  If Oliviera or Schoen sign elsewhere, its a completely different story.  We keep the Bailey's and Jeffcoat's instead of needing to replace them with ELC players.  Bailey's position was redundant, and Jeffcoat was going to cost us full $SMS but probably miss a number of games (he was a 1 game guy, I don't think he ever hit the 6 game, and we were in $SMS heck to start with)

I and most fans may not agree with the moves that were made, but I understand why.  You hate to lose guys like Jeffcoat, Bailey, Hansen, Clements, Hardrik, Walker, Grant... but with the $SMS and landing the top 2 FA's on the market, it happens.  I think, were WE hosting the GC this year, the budget might have been expanded for a few of these players. 

I think I'd be more interested in what happened with Walker and Clements, and what they are up to...