Bombers vs Elks - pregame discussion

Started by The Zipp, September 08, 2024, 11:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_gold_84

A healthy Wilson back would be a big boost to the defense.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on September 18, 2024, 03:09:14 PMLooks like Kyrie Wilson could be good to go on Saturday. If he can cobble together a good level of play for the rest of the season I like what we can do with him on one side and a rotation of Ayers and Gauthier in the middle.

You prefer Ayers to Jones in the middle? If we drop Bridges in the secondary it would be possible to have all 3 on the AR.

Jones has been getting more reps on defence and is slightly bigger. I do think Ayers is developing into a good player and has been progressing when he gets reps.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pete

Agree, i would see Jones in middle with Wilson and Kramdl , then Ayers and Griffin subbing in
 Not sure where cole fits in, likely lost his spot to Ayers

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 18, 2024, 03:17:47 PMYou prefer Ayers to Jones in the middle? If we drop Bridges in the secondary it would be possible to have all 3 on the AR.

Jones has been getting more reps on defence and is slightly bigger. I do think Ayers is developing into a good player and has been progressing when he gets reps.

I don't think I prefer Ayers to Jones actually, and you're probably right, moving Jones to MLB makes the most sense. As long as Wilson stays healthy we have a few decent options.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on September 18, 2024, 03:33:56 PMI don't think I prefer Ayers to Jones actually, and you're probably right, moving Jones to MLB makes the most sense. As long as Wilson stays healthy we have a few decent options.

Jones started some games in Edmonton last year and has more CFL experience in general than Ayers. Wilson is a tackling machine and would be very good against the run.

I see a remote chance that Wilson could move to MLB being more familiar with the Bomber defence and in a leadership role. I'm not knocking Jones at MLB and both are very versatile. It's just that Wilson is in his 7th season with the Bombers.

I think our defensive game plan will be directed towards the Elks run game and getting to Ford. He's not a pocket passer and can be influenced into making mistakes. OTOH their run game can be an issue from their RB's and if he escapes the pocket.

So I think we'll see less 3 man fronts but exactly how we adjust and use LB's or DB's is more of a question. Our LB's have size and weight compared to our DB's but they are also very quick. We may see them used in blitz packages etc.

Depth chart won't really tell us much and I'd expect we'll see different players rotate into multiple positions. That should help confuse Ford and hopefully cause errors.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

blue_or_die

Count me in for Wilson-Jones-Kramdi, with Gauthier as a potential passing down/rotation/3-4 guy.
#Ride?

Blueforlife

No change day 2 both teams in terms of injury reports

Blue In BC

Quote from: Blueforlife on September 18, 2024, 08:26:52 PMNo change day 2 both teams

Whitehead is looking a little iffy for this week. He was dinged going into the last game. Could result in a change at returner.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on September 18, 2024, 03:09:14 PMLooks like Kyrie Wilson could be good to go on Saturday. If he can cobble together a good level of play for the rest of the season I like what we can do with him on one side and a rotation of Ayers and Gauthier in the middle.

That's the $1M question, eh?  Can Jones or Wilson effectively play MLB.  Neither is very big (Sankey or even Biggie size).  I think Wilson is the smaller.  You generally want your speed at WILL to deal with the edge and hitches, and your beef at MLB to stop the gut run.

Jones has been a tackling machine and shown as much speed as Wilson, so in that sense I would stick with the hot hand and keep starting him at WILL.  If Jones can also play MLB then start him at MLB.

But if you need to choose only 1 of Wilson/Jones at WILL, and a 3rd guy at MLB, then I'm starting Jones and Wilson can backup/DI.  We might do that anyhow to ease Wilson back in.

On the bright side, EDM's top 2 RBs are speed backs, with only that less-played 3rd guy having any beef.  So both our potential WILLs should excel against them, if they can avoid the hoggie blocking assault.  I expect a whole ton of BA37 cheating up to the line on run support.  Might make us vulnerable to trick post shots.

It will be a very interesting roster release this week!
Never go full Rider!

J5V

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 18, 2024, 10:10:52 PMIt will be a very interesting roster release this week!
What excites me about the roster for this week is the number of healthy bodies we are starting to get back and what it could mean to our fortunes going forward if it continues.

On offense, for example, having Lawler, Wilson, and Wheatfall all available weapons to Zach is going to be very interesting. Who do you double-team now, Lawler, leaving a burner like Wheatfall one-on-one, or a clutch receiver like Wilson one-on-one? How is that going to turn out?

Between Brady O running the ball with our restored O-line and the extra pass protection for Zach it's going to be exciting to see what kind of game plan Buck draws up for the Elks. I can't wait!
Go Bombers!

Sir Blue and Gold

If Lucky can't go I wonder if we activate the KR/PR we just signed on to the PR.

I assume we'll also add a QB to the active roster too?

TecnoGenius

https://winnipegsun.com/sports/blue-bombers-mike-oshea-applauds-crackdown-on-late-qb-hits

Sun article has more info about Big Stan's weird episode, scroll to the middle.

"Nah, not really," the 38-year-old said. "I'm from the South. Heat won't be a problem. I don't really know too much. Just not feeling like myself. Once I took a knee... it's hard to explain how I felt. It was just a weird feeling. I tried to get up and go again, and just took a knee, and then I just kind of panicked. I just wasn't feeling myself.

"I've never experienced anything like it."

read more at the article.  Worth the read.  Crossing fingers for Big Stan.
Never go full Rider!

dd

So is Bryant scheduled to play this week??

Waffler

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 18, 2024, 10:36:45 PMhttps://winnipegsun.com/sports/blue-bombers-mike-oshea-applauds-crackdown-on-late-qb-hits

I see the pressure on Ambrosie produced SOMETHING. Sure to be tested soon and we'll see if it has teeth. If not, Miller is on the Board of Governors and MOS is on the rules committee.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 18, 2024, 10:36:45 PMhttps://winnipegsun.com/sports/blue-bombers-mike-oshea-applauds-crackdown-on-late-qb-hits

Sun article has more info about Big Stan's weird episode, scroll to the middle.

"Nah, not really," the 38-year-old said. "I'm from the South. Heat won't be a problem. I don't really know too much. Just not feeling like myself. Once I took a knee... it's hard to explain how I felt. It was just a weird feeling. I tried to get up and go again, and just took a knee, and then I just kind of panicked. I just wasn't feeling myself.

"I've never experienced anything like it."

read more at the article.  Worth the read.  Crossing fingers for Big Stan.

Poor Stanley. That's tough. Would be scary to feel something was wrong but not sure what it was and then add in 33,000 people watching you. Glad he's on the mend.