Stamps at Elks GDT Sat 600PM CT

Started by gobombersgo, September 06, 2024, 04:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobombersgo

gobombersgo

gobombersgo

Calgary Stampeders bench QB Jake Maier, name Logan Bonner starter vs. Elks
By Justin Dunk -September 6, 2024

The Calgary Stampeders are making a quarterback change, benching veteran Jake Maier and naming Logan Bonner the starter.

The six-foot, 219-pound Maier completed 22-of-34 pass attempts (64.7 percent) for 297 yards with one touchdown and four interceptions during Calgary's second loss in the Labour Day Classic since 2012. Head coach Dave Dickenson called the result "embarassing" for his team, while stating Maier was "not good enough."

Through 11 games in 2024, the 27-year-old has completed 71.4 percent of his passes for 2,921 yards with 15 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. He joined the Stamps in 2021, replacing Bo Levi Mitchell as the team's undisputed starter mid-way through his second season.

Maier's in the final year of his contract and ranks seventh among CFL quarterbacks in hard money compensation for the current season. He's thrown for 10,765 yards with 53 touchdowns and 36 interceptions during 52 career CFL games.

Bonner entered the last week's game late in the fourth quarter, completing 4-of-6 passes for 33 yards. The 26-year-old spent last year on the Stampeders' practice roster and dressed in a depth role all season. The six-foot, 234-pound Bonner makes his first career CFL start in Edmonton.

Prior to arriving in the CFL, the Rowlett, Tex. native threw for 4,381 yards with 42 touchdowns and 20 interceptions in 18 games at Utah State Uiversity. He began his collegiate career at Arkansas State University.

In other roster moves for the Stampeders, running back Dedrick Mills returns to the lineup after serving his team suspension and will knock Kylin Hill to the practice roster. Offensive lineman Bryce Bell (calf) is back in the starting lineup but is listed as a game-time decision, as is receiver Ishmael Hyman (hamstring). Veteran cornerback Tre Roberson (quad) will not be available this week and will be replaced as a starter by Tyler Richardson.

Defensive back Kalyn St-Cyr (elbow) and defensive lineman Kelon Thomas (knee) have been placed on the six-game injured list, while linebacker Darius Williams is a healthy scratch. Defensive back Meiko Dotson and defensive lineman Elliott Graham will dress in depth roles.

Calgary (4-7) visits the Elks (4-8) at Commonwealth Stadium for the second half of the annual Labour Day home-and-home on Saturday, Sept. 7 with kickoff at 7:00 p.m. EDT. The Stampeders are 0-5 on the road this season.

https://3downnation.com/2024/09/06/calgary-stampeders-bench-qb-jake-maier-name-logan-bonner-starter-vs-elks/

gobombersgo

Dave Campbell:

K Boris Bede is back after being sat down for Labour Day.  DE Noah Taylor (shoulder) lands on the six-game injured list. #Elks #CFL   

gobombersgo

Elks put kicker Boris Bede back in the lineup for rematch with Stamps
By 3Down Staff -September 6, 2024

The Edmonton Elks have changed their mind when it comes to their kicking situation, as the inconsistent Boris Bede will be back in the lineup for Saturday's rematch with the Calgary Stampeders.

The Elks paid a significant sum to bring in the 34-year-old East Division all-star on a two-year contract this offseason, but he was named a healthy scratch in the Labour Day Classic after missing a critical kick in a tight Week 12 loss to the Montreal Alouettes. Through 11 games, Bede has connected on just 18-of-25 field goal attempts and his 72 percent conversion rate is the worst in the CFL, as well as the lowest in his career since 2016.

37-year-old Global kicker Dean Faithfull will return to the practice roster after handling the duties last week, going one-for-two with a make of 41 yards and a miss from 29 yards out. The former British soccer player was the Elks' primary placekicker as a rookie last year, connecting on 22-of-28 attempts for a conversion rate of just 78.6 percent.

Also absent from the lineup this week will be rookie American defensive end Noah Taylor (shoulder), who has been placed on the six-game injured list. Through seven games, the UNC product has 12 defensive tackles and two sacks. Global linebacker Les Maruo will fill the vacant spot in the lineup.

The Edmonton Elks (4-8) will host the Calgary Stampeders (4-7) on Saturday, September 7 at 7:00 p.m. EDT.

https://3downnation.com/2024/09/06/elks-put-kicker-boris-bede-back-in-the-lineup-for-rematch-with-stamps/

Stats Junkie

Calgary roster changes

Out - 66 Bell & 81 Hyman
In - 17 Echols & 8 Statz
Twitter: @Stats_Junkie
Threads: statsjunkie71

Blue In BC

I think it's better for us if the Stamps win this against the Elks but I'm not sure. I wonder if Ford starts or MBT? Roster spots are on the line. So is the season for both teams.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 07, 2024, 10:27:12 PMI think it's better for us if the Stamps win this against the Elks but I'm not sure. I wonder if Ford starts or MBT? Roster spots are on the line. So is the season for both teams.

I saw MBT was starting.
My wife is amazing!

GOLDMEMBER

Go Elks Go

Always fun to see Dickie unhappy
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

dd

Quote from: Jesse on September 07, 2024, 10:35:32 PMI saw MBT was starting.
Just saw the first series, I saw MBT stinking!!

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

The Zipp

We need MBT to stink if we want ford vs ford in two weeks

The ford bros are vacationing together in Banff on the bye week

Stats Junkie

2 more Jon Ryan Specials for Jake Julien. They boost the punting average but are really missed assignments.
Twitter: @Stats_Junkie
Threads: statsjunkie71

The Zipp

dd

I think the Stamps move on from Maier and go after VA in the off season, at least they should. Bonner is not ready for prime time, not even close.