Evan Holm /Tyrell Ford

Started by Austin85, September 06, 2024, 04:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Quote from: Blueforlife on September 09, 2024, 06:09:00 PMWhile Ford will break the bank, he will be worth every penny.
No blank cheque. No breaking the bank. His offer will be what the Bombers can offer, how it affects other players on the team and our situation with the SMS.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

markf

Our Ford might get another look from the NFL.

They seem to like CFL defensive backs.

Blueforlife

Quote from: ModAdmin on September 09, 2024, 10:34:06 PMNo blank cheque. No breaking the bank. His offer will be what the Bombers can offer, how it affects other players on the team and our situation with the SMS.
I believe he is worth as strong as offer as we can afford.  Of course there are other considerations, we all know that.  Stating the obvious imo.  He would be one of my top priorities.  A rare talent with the right passport, we can't afford to lose him.  My point was make him an offer he can't refuse.  I believe signing him at the expense of another player might pay off.  I believe the strain on the SMS would be worth it. I believe we should break the bank on him and I really hope we find a way to make this work.  I would be negotiating now.  Blank cheque is just a quick way of saying to pay the man what he wants /what he is worth /what the market would pay.  I use that term when I believe we should agreesively go after a star player.  I never dreamed we could sign all our stars on offence, time for management to work their magic again.

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on September 09, 2024, 10:12:53 PMWell you won't have solid national play if you don't retain your best ones. However, you're right, if he bolts to Edmonton in the off season his loss is very survivable for the Bombers. It's not like we've ever had trouble finding field corners. I hope he stays though. He's awesome.
Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 09, 2024, 06:36:44 PMFord's nationality is hardly relevant as they're not desperate for DB's or nationals, it would be very nice to keep him if he wants to stay, but certainly not a signing that needs to be made at any cost. Smarter play is to lock in Holm for multiple years at a reasonable salary.
Slightly under stating the importance of a rare talent at corner (Cdn) imo.  Hard to argue against signing Holm long term.  I would suggest the same idea with Ford.  Yes we have certainly found / developed talent on the defensive side for so many years.  Hats off to the scouts, management and coaches.

What type of money would it cost for Ford and Holm for 2 or 3 years?

Sir Blue and Gold

It's easy to say, sign these guys! Pay them whatever! It's harder to answer who's money you're going to give them. Schoen's? Lawler's? Jefferson's? Someone else?

Here's the reality: defensive back is not a position we've historically spent at. Instead, we've relied on good scouting and rookies out playing their contracts -- and we've had a lot of success in doing so. Holm plays half back and they are harder to find than field corners. They just are. Ford's value is that he's an above average corner and a national. What premium do you place on that? $175,000 maybe? If someone wants to pay $200+ I don't see how that would work for us or be in our best interest. If we're going to overpay, I'd overpay Holm probably.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on September 10, 2024, 02:09:34 AMHere's the reality: defensive back is not a position we've historically spent at. Instead, we've relied on good scouting and rookies out playing their contracts -- and we've had a lot of success in doing so.

Yup.  WPG has been a DB factory for the CFL for many years now.  We find & make them stars, other teams poach them in FA.  We've lost our 1-2 best vets every FA for years.

Then we get scared when we see our depleted DB corps in week 1, but then the new guys step up or the sophomores amp up their game, and we're fine again!

Since it's worked for so long, I see no reason we don't stick to that formula.  As long as you cap the DB loss count at 2, you'll be ok.

So I fully expect to lose 1 or 2 of Ford/Holm/Nichols in FA.  We'll be very sad, and worry, but it'll be ok.  If we manage to lose just 1, I'd call that a huge win.

One final consideration: DB longevity is the worst of all positions.  They age out fast.  If you want to groom a franchise, super-long-term loyalty player, better to do it at other positions.  I guess there's the chance he could last as long as Chezie (the last great NAT DB), but I wouldn't bet money on it.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: blue_or_die on September 09, 2024, 07:16:36 PMAnd next year is a home Grey Cup for whatever that means re the cap and roster management.

Whatever BC gets away with re:SMS in 2024 we should 100% duplicate in 2025.  In fact, if the league pushback is minimal, go mental: why not?  So many other teams' fans are saying they'd do it, including people here.  And if you're gonna do it, go hog wild, like $1M over cap.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on September 09, 2024, 06:39:38 PMWe have a dynamite defensive backfield right now.  Ford/Holm, Nichols/Bonds and Alexander.  Wow. 

I don't think we've had a group like this since Swaggerville.

2021 DB crew with Alford was better than both now and Swaggerville.  IMHO

(The proof is in the cup?  And the fact the DBs basically won that game twice for us.)
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 09, 2024, 04:52:16 PMHe's spending the bye week with his bro, what do you think they're talking about?

How they're gonna rig the game?   :o  :o  :o  :o

Ya ok, boo hiss Tecno.  Ya it's not probable (I'll give our Ford more credit than that!), but it is possible!  And if they do rig it, I hope they decided it should be in WPG's favor!

Y'all know there is a good possibility Ford might tackle Ford in the open field, right?  How does DB Ford approach that hit?  Is he going to lay the big wood on his own brother?  Weird stuff.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on September 07, 2024, 06:10:42 PMlol. Versus how many players that do not play for their home town?

Ya, but how many NATs are league #1's at their position like Brady/Ford!  Most NATs are no-name unknown unsung STers... maybe the superstars want to be special in their hometowns?
Never go full Rider!

ModAdmin

Quote from: Blueforlife on September 10, 2024, 01:26:55 AMI believe he is worth as strong as offer as we can afford.  Of course there are other considerations, we all know that.  Stating the obvious imo.  He would be one of my top priorities.  A rare talent with the right passport, we can't afford to lose him.  My point was make him an offer he can't refuse.  I believe signing him at the expense of another player might pay off.  I believe the strain on the SMS would be worth it. I believe we should break the bank on him and I really hope we find a way to make this work.  I would be negotiating now.  Blank cheque is just a quick way of saying to pay the man what he wants /what he is worth /what the market would pay.  I use that term when I believe we should agreesively go after a star player.  I never dreamed we could sign all our stars on offence, time for management to work their magic again.
Slightly under stating the importance of a rare talent at corner (Cdn) imo.  Hard to argue against signing Holm long term.  I would suggest the same idea with Ford.  Yes we have certainly found / developed talent on the defensive side for so many years.  Hats off to the scouts, management and coaches.

What type of money would it cost for Ford and Holm for 2 or 3 years?

OK, (see bolded statement) so you are doubling down on what you originally said "blank cheque" and "break the bank". Pay him "what he wants" is exactly the same thing.  But, no matter what he wants, that doesn't mean it would be wise to pay him "what he wants" if that means potentially jeopardizing other position(s).  Would I want to pay Ford whatever he asks for if it meant losing, for example, Holm and/or a combination of other players we consider important to the team?  It's not simple and floating statements like "pay the man what he wants (blank cheque)" is very clearly something the team would never do.  Too many other factors to consider.

Ford certainly will command a raise and other teams, especially those weak at DB, will take a run at him - not even mentioning the draw there will be for both brothers to play together - and no doubt the Bombers will make the best offer they can without downgrading the needs of the team.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Jesse

I have two gut reactions:

1) Listening to all of Ford's quote's, he has a very high sense of self-worth.

2) Seeing how we divide the salary cap pie; combined with our scouting success at the position, we haven't paid a DB.

Neither of those things bode well for a Ford contract. But there are a couple of factors that may dictate a change in philosophy:

- We're not not to be paying the same amount for Lawler and Schoen next season. Whether we move on from one or their contract come down a bit, they have not been worth the money.

- Grey Cup year, we'll definitely push the chips in a bit

- Our National depth has been a strength, but we need to restock the "high end" part that has been aging out or left via FA.

- DBs are not pushing 300k. We haven't seen one at 200k yet, I don't think. It's not going to eat up more cap space than any other top Canadian.
My wife is amazing!

CrazyCanuck89

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 07, 2024, 04:49:36 PMNot that many teams would be interested in Tre Ford at QB but every team could accommodate Tyrell Ford at corner with the ratio flexibility he adds.

Every team would be interested with Tre, even if it's a backup role.  Streveler would be third string, if Tre became a Bomber.

CrazyCanuck89

I'm sure he could play boundary CB, just like Sanchez.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: CrazyCanuck89 on September 10, 2024, 04:11:42 PMEvery team would be interested with Tre, even if it's a backup role.  Streveler would be third string, if Tre became a Bomber.

You're correct when you look at it out of context.  Add in his desire to start and the possibility of a $300k+ contract and most teams will bow out quickly.

theaardvark

We no doubt will have an opportunity to match any deal anyone negotiates, and other teams will know that, and can make crazy offers, knowing we will most likely match in a GC hosting year.

And I'm fine with going over the cap, losing some picks and paying a fine. 
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.