Evan Holm /Tyrell Ford

Started by Austin85, September 06, 2024, 04:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigskin

Quote from: Austin85 on September 08, 2024, 06:19:31 PMWalters needs to sign these guys soon.

Holm may sign a extension before the season is over. Ford will listen to offers.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

bunker

Blueforlife

Blank cheque for Ford.  Sign Holm for sure.

Jesse

Quote from: bunker on September 08, 2024, 09:45:57 PMI think we are looking at 150-170,000 for Ford based on this:
https://3downnation.com/2024/05/13/the-cfls-15-highest-paid-defensive-backs-for-the-2024-season/

I'd do that no problem. I'm afraid he'll want to re-write the pay scale like Brady did though.
My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Jesse on September 09, 2024, 02:07:13 AMI'd do that no problem. I'm afraid he'll want to re-write the pay scale like Brady did though.

He's spending the bye week with his bro, what do you think they're talking about?

1. Tyrell trying to convince Tre to sign with Wpg.
2. Tre trying to convince Tyrell to sign with Edm.
3. Both agreeing to go to free agency but signing with the same team.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Paying multiple DB's above average of $100k requires cutting salary in other positions, rob Peter to pay Paul, which we witnessed first hand this season.  The most obvious places to reduce in the off-season are Stanley and Biggie and maybe dealing away one of the 3 expensive receivers.  Not a lot of above average earners in other positions to cut from, the budget is screaming.

bryan35

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 09, 2024, 05:00:14 PMPaying multiple DB's above average of $100k requires cutting salary in other positions, rob Peter to pay Paul, which we witnessed first hand this season.  The most obvious places to reduce in the off-season are Stanley and Biggie and maybe dealing away one of the 3 expensive receivers.  Not a lot of above average earners in other positions to cut from, the budget is screaming.

Thats always a juggling game. Salaries of Bighill and Thomas should be freed up next year.

blue_or_die

When's the last time we've had a Canadian DB this good? Loffler I guess, but he was a safety.
#Ride?

Blueforlife

While Ford will break the bank, he will be worth every penny.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: blue_or_die on September 09, 2024, 05:51:23 PMWhen's the last time we've had a Canadian DB this good? Loffler I guess, but he was a safety.

It's either him or Logan, IMO. I think both pale in comparison to what Ford brings to the table, though.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: blue_or_die on September 09, 2024, 05:51:23 PMWhen's the last time we've had a Canadian DB this good? Loffler I guess, but he was a safety.

Ford's nationality is hardly relevant as they're not desperate for DB's or nationals, it would be very nice to keep him if he wants to stay, but certainly not a signing that needs to be made at any cost. Smarter play is to lock in Holm for multiple years at a reasonable salary.

theaardvark

We have a dynamite defensive backfield right now.  Ford/Holm, Nichols/Bonds and Alexander.  Wow. 

Fingers crossed we can maintain the bulk of them, Nichols/Bonds might have the friends and family discount.

I don't think we've had a group like this since Swaggerville.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_or_die

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 09, 2024, 06:36:44 PMFord's nationality is hardly relevant as they're not desperate for DB's or nationals, it would be very nice to keep him if he wants to stay, but certainly not a signing that needs to be made at any cost. Smarter play is to lock in Holm for multiple years at a reasonable salary.

I guess but it would be hard to let a ratio breaker walk. He's a Canadian that plays like to top level shutdown corner.

That said, whether I like it or not, you're probably right that KW will make the most pragmatic choices and let this big payday go knowing we are good at finding cheap but skilled DBs in favour of other parts of the roster.

However, with the possibility of moving on from other pricey pieces loaded on offense, we may choose to spread the wealth a little more evenly going forward.

And next year is a home Grey Cup for whatever that means re the cap and roster management.
#Ride?

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 09, 2024, 06:36:44 PMFord's nationality is hardly relevant as they're not desperate for DB's or nationals, it would be very nice to keep him if he wants to stay, but certainly not a signing that needs to be made at any cost. Smarter play is to lock in Holm for multiple years at a reasonable salary.

Well you won't have solid national play if you don't retain your best ones. However, you're right, if he bolts to Edmonton in the off season his loss is very survivable for the Bombers. It's not like we've ever had trouble finding field corners. I hope he stays though. He's awesome.