Evan Holm /Tyrell Ford

Started by Austin85, September 06, 2024, 04:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 07, 2024, 02:47:59 PMThere are a couple of issues with expecting both brothers to be on the same team. Tre Ford may want to stay in Edmonton if he is made the # 1 QB with contract to match in Edmonton. I'm not even sure who is the starting QB in Edmonton for the rest of the season.

His play may determine the chance at a big raise etc etc. Or the Elks may make a play to acquire VAJ from BC. I see a greater chance that the Elks try to stick with Ford and BLM if the SMS works out. However the 1st part of the question is much more does it cost to retain him?

Part 2 is that T. Ford has earned a raise and as a Canadian that has extra value. His 1st choice might be staying in Winnipeg where is entrenched in our roster. What does it cost the team in SMS.

I see it as two large SMS investments by any team. Not every team will be looking for both a starting QB option and a starting CB? Noting that there will be many import DB's available at lower costs. Teams seem to find great DB's on ELC's.

I wouldn't mind seeing both Ford's in Winnipeg and there is a slight chance of that. Edmonton might not be prepared to offer a guaranteed big contract and Ford may want to escape the insanity in Edmonton. That said, I'm just guessing he ends up staying in Edmonton. Yes, Edmonton could use Tyrell Ford as well so can't rule that out either.

Calgary and Hamilton could be on the lookout for a new starter but as we know VAJ will on road somewhere in 2025.

At the very least I sure want to keep our Ford in Winnipeg. He's going to be even better in the future.

Nobody knows nothing, but if they announce they come as a package deal heading into FA.

1. they'll get away with it.
2. teams will fight to sign them as a pair.
3. they'll create a lot of positive buzz for the CFL. 

That's why I see them eventually landing in Ont. ideally Toronto where they need all the buzz they can generate.  After the Chad Kelly fiasco the CFL needs to proactively work to promote itself in a positive light and the Ford brothers have the potential to become nationally recognizable celebrities outside CFL circles, which probably hasn't happened in over 20 years.  The opportunity is there if the CFL wants to take advantage of it.

Signing them together would also help to revitalize either team in Alberta, but in those locations the Natl. media would largely ignore them.

dd

Quote from: Jesse on September 07, 2024, 02:24:57 PMExactly. It's football. Moving away from home is what they signed up for.
Tell that to Brady Olivera and Nathan Rourke.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 07, 2024, 04:06:26 PMNobody knows nothing, but if they announce they come as a package deal heading into FA.

1. they'll get away with it.
2. teams will fight to sign them as a pair.
3. they'll create a lot of positive buzz for the CFL. 

That's why I see them eventually landing in Ont. ideally Toronto where they need all the buzz they can generate.  After the Chad Kelly fiasco the CFL needs to proactively work to promote itself in a positive light and the Ford brothers have the potential to become nationally recognizable celebrities outside CFL circles, which probably hasn't happened in over 20 years.  The opportunity is there if the CFL wants to take advantage of it.

Signing them together would also help to revitalize either team in Alberta, but in those locations the Natl. media would largely ignore them.

Announcing that they come as a pair limits their chances. I think there is little chance of them making that announcement publicly. Intending to land somewhere as a pair possibly in their considerations. Every team will have a different need and SMS capability. I'd bet they don't land on the same team but that's just an opinion.

The CFL has no control what they decide to do individually or as brothers. It's interesting that they are twins and Canadians but in the end teams will look to add talent if they have needs at those positions.  Slight advantage to teams needing starting Canadians now withstanding.

Going back east, a reasonable thought but eventually it comes down to opportunity and money.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 07, 2024, 04:29:11 PMAnnouncing that they come as a pair limits their chances. I think there is little chance of them making that announcement publicly. Intending to land somewhere as a pair possibly in their considerations. Every team will have a different need and SMS capability. I'd bet they don't land on the same team but that's just an opinion.

The CFL has no control what they decide to do individually or as brothers. It's interesting that they are twins and Canadians but in the end teams will look to add talent if they have needs at those positions.  Slight advantage to teams needing starting Canadians now withstanding.

Going back east, a reasonable thought but eventually it comes down to opportunity and money.

Not that many teams would be interested in Tre Ford at QB but every team could accommodate Tyrell Ford at corner with the ratio flexibility he adds.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 07, 2024, 04:49:36 PMNot that many teams would be interested in Tre Ford at QB but every team could accommodate Tyrell Ford at corner with the ratio flexibility he adds.

Yes, Tyrell is going to draw interest from across the league if he reaches free agency. I don't expect the Bombers to lose the battle on their offer. Whether his interest leads him further east I don't know but I don't see us being outbid unless there is some insane offer elsewhere.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Quote from: dd on September 07, 2024, 04:24:30 PMTell that to Brady Olivera and Nathan Rourke.

lol. Versus how many players that do not play for their home town?
My wife is amazing!

Jesse

Well, Ford just keeps making himself more expensive, lol.
My wife is amazing!

dd

Quote from: Jesse on September 07, 2024, 06:10:42 PMlol. Versus how many players that do not play for their home town?
Pro athletes do it all the time. Johnny hockey signed with Columbus instead of the flames to play closer to home,henoc muamba did the same and the list goes on and on. Guarantee you anything if players had the option to play close to home or away, they would choose to play closer to home, it just makes sense

Bomber Diehard

The two Fords would look good in Blue n Gold.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Bomber Diehard on September 08, 2024, 12:25:14 PMThe two Fords would look good in Blue n Gold.

So would the Philpot brothers.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TBURGESS

Quote from: dd on September 07, 2024, 10:26:16 PMPro athletes do it all the time. Johnny hockey signed with Columbus instead of the flames to play closer to home,henoc muamba did the same and the list goes on and on. Guarantee you anything if players had the option to play close to home or away, they would choose to play closer to home, it just makes sense
Some players are happier to play close to home. Some are happier to get the most money. It depends on the player. 
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Austin85

Walters needs to sign these guys soon.

DM83

Yup our Ford could be in the $300,000.00 range. He's very good. It's our hometown Grey Cup.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: DM83 on September 08, 2024, 06:28:26 PMYup our Ford could be in the $300,000.00 range. He's very good. It's our hometown Grey Cup.

A 300,000 field corner?! Hecccckkkk no.

bwiser

I don't think he would make 300,000 a year but I do think he could be the highest paid DB in the league.