Banjo Bowl ( early talk )

Started by Blue In BC, September 02, 2024, 03:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Zipp

Quote from: theaardvark on September 04, 2024, 12:53:24 AMWhile Micah Johnson is not an Olineman, he his an elite athlete, and we didn't have a week of planning on how to take advantage of a depleted Oline, like we will for Sat.

The TV crew did focus on his play, and we rushed 3 and he managed to do well.

This week of practice will know that there is a chink in the line, and will be able to plan stunts to take advantage of what will have to be a limited oline playbook.

You shouldn't need a week of practice to figure out how to isolate and take advantage of a new player and defensive convert.

My opinion of Younger went down after this game. 

bunker

I thought Johnson looked better than Eli, and as good as Dobson. But by rushing only 3, we allowed Sask to just let Johnson focus on helping out with double teams most of the time. I don't know why we wouldn't rush 4 or 5, to put pressure on him. Jake is part of the problem. When he's one of the three rushing, the middle of the pocket stays intact for 3-5 seconds at least. And if Willy is just hanging back looking to bat down a pass, the QB has all day to wait for a receiver to get open. Hopefully they come up with something different on Saturday. Would love to see Adams back in at DT.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: The Zipp on September 04, 2024, 01:30:50 AMYou shouldn't need a week of practice to figure out how to isolate and take advantage of a new player and defensive convert.

My opinion of Younger went down after this game. 

Maybe he'll learn from that but on the other hand I think it was more that we had a plan and liked it. Personally I think we'll see a more traditional four man front return in the noise of the Banjo Bowl.

The Zipp

Quote from: jayrock on September 03, 2024, 01:36:52 PMI can not believe they are trying to wedge 3 games in on a Saturday. Especially one while I am going to be tailgating.

I guess with games on Monday you can't have a Thursday game - plus it's nfl Thursday AND NFL opening Sunday, can't go against that either. 

Saturday it is...

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Big Daddy on September 04, 2024, 12:52:28 AMI hope you are wrong, but sadly nothing would surprise me at this point with reffing and inconsistencies with player safety, etc.

Makes me wonder - Wade Miller essentially calls out the commish, and nothing, if that contributed to them then not issuing supplemental to avoid further controversy, or worse, to not "reward" Wade, that is even worse bush league. 

If nothing is said about the play AND Wade gets issued a fine (and some of our players for speaking out) - I wonder how that'll play out on Saturday.

I can't see our players doing clearly dirty intentional plays, but the fans could sure make it an unwelcome atmosphere for the visiting team and Ambrosie.

I don't think the league will impose any extra punishment beyond what's currently written in the rulebook, I mean how can they?  They acknowledged the foul and penalized Brown on the spot with the appropriate penalty, maybe they'll throw a supplementary fine at him as well, but they can't invoke a suspension that goes beyond the prescribed punishment for the infraction committed.  In the future they may be able to do this if they so choose, but only after it's first written down in the rule book.

Bluegogglers, please remember that Redha Kramdi did not receive a suspension for knocking Dru Brown out of the game  with an elbow to the head in their early season matchup.

As for the rabbit ear discussion, the game will be streamed on CFL+ which can be viewed within Canada using a VPN to disguise your location.  It ain't rocket sience peeples!

theaardvark

Quote from: BlueInCgy on September 03, 2024, 08:10:26 PMI've got some kind of digital rabbit ears inbound from Amazon.  If they work ill let you know

Pretty sure the place that holds the naming right to the stadium previously known as IGF has digital rabbit ears cheap.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/120-mile-indoor-outdoor-digital-tv-antenna-with-amplifier/product/PA0009172305
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on September 04, 2024, 06:09:21 AMPretty sure the place that holds the naming right to the stadium previously known as IGF has digital rabbit ears cheap.

Ya, it just dawned on me this is the best conspiracy theory ever!

PA takes over naming rights to the stadium... same year: CFL airs around a dozen games on a non-streaming channel that non-cable people can only get with new rabbit ears.  And if you think rabbit ears in Winnipeg, where are you gonna go?  Only PA.  Who else would have them in-store?

COINCIDENCE?!  I THINK NOT!

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 04, 2024, 02:54:35 AMI don't think the league will impose any extra punishment beyond what's currently written in the rulebook, I mean how can they?  They acknowledged the foul and penalized Brown on the spot with the appropriate penalty, maybe they'll throw a supplementary fine at him as well, but they can't invoke a suspension that goes beyond the prescribed punishment for the infraction committed.  In the future they may be able to do this if they so choose, but only after it's first written down in the rule book.

The punishment they doled out to Kelly wasn't written in any rule book...

Ambrosise is King and can do whatever he wants!
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: bunker on September 04, 2024, 02:00:16 AMAnd if Willy is just hanging back looking to bat down a pass, the QB has all day to wait for a receiver to get open. Hopefully they come up with something different on Saturday. Would love to see Adams back in at DT.

Except Trevor doesn't take or use "all day".  The Trevor & SSK plan is clearly the "free" 10Y play the D gives up every down.

Only every 7-10 snaps did we insert a fly into the ointment to try to actually stop this.  And I must say it worked beautifully on the final SSK TD attempt!  Goad them into thinking all those 10Y curls and outs are wide open and boom, have some unexpected LBer or DL in the lane.  Batdown or INT!

But man, it sure is hard on the ol' Blue heart.

If I'm SSK, I'm going to a mid/deep-mostly game plan in BB to try to catch us unprepared.  We'll be cheating the line just like we did in LDC when we got burned on the odd deep corner.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on September 04, 2024, 01:16:02 AMWe were also using a three man rush all game long...

Ya, don't blame the DL.  Not much a 3 man rush can do against 5-6 blockers every snap.  If you want to yell at the lack of pressure, blame the DC's plan.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: peg_city on September 03, 2024, 09:36:46 PMWhat does everyone think?

If collaros starts, we win.

If Streveler starts, we lose?

I wouldn't bet money on that.  In fact, I'd easily still take WPG to win.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 03, 2024, 08:29:24 PMI thought Brown getting suspended would be a 50 / 50 call. No word yet, so it doesn't appear that will happen. It's already close to the end of business day back East. Teams will be back to practice tomorrow so they'd have to know by tomorrow am.

Fines usually announced EOD Wednesday.  No idea if the LD holiday pushes this back to Thurs (I think not?).
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: jdrattops on September 03, 2024, 01:33:41 PMGodber never returned.  Shown on TV several times with the shoulder pads off.

Darn Riderfans forum letting me down again!  Proves I need to vet everything I read there.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Rewatching the LDC: we can't just play that dumb zone on D all night like we did.  Man we ran that zone the whole first half (probably more, but haven't rewatched that far yet).

Where was man coverage?  I think we finally have the talent and comfort level with the players to try some man.  I get that zone may work better against Trevor's 1-2s quick-release short-pass game... but you focus on zone if you want to get QB pressure and/or the QB isn't accurate so you can generate picks.

But we can't get pressure with rushing 3, and Trevor is probably the most accurate QB in the league... so WHY?

I watched the two Hallett screwups in that crap soft zone for TDs and just get so aggravated.  But surely showing zone and playing man every 5 snaps or something could yield some confusion for Trevor and possible sacks or batdowns?  In the exact same place in the GC we played man and Houston had a better shot at stopping the Philpot TD than Hallett ever did of stopping his 2 TDs.

In the end it worked, but I wouldn't count on Trevor failing dinking & dunking the whole way for enough TDs to win in BB.

I hope we really mix things up and throw a lot of unexpected curve balls in BB.
Never go full Rider!

jayrock

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 03, 2024, 10:00:46 PMI think we have the Riders number at this point. The are in a losing spiral and playing in Winnipeg is never easy.

We win big even if we play Wilson at QB.

I will prepare for the blue cool aid replies, but being 1 point ahead in the standings and have a 1 - 1 record against them does not mean you have the riders number. This will be another close game and either team could win it.
RIDER PRIDE ALIVE IN THE PEG