Adam Bighill appreciation thread

Started by Sir Blue and Gold, September 02, 2024, 02:42:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Bluehawk on September 19, 2024, 08:43:58 PMIf there is one player who could pull this off, rehab and come back to be a contributor to our defence...it would be Bighill.  As a fan, I would welcome him back without question. 

He started this season with the same circumstances and it's questionable whether he was healthy at all this year.  The writings on the wall for Biggie and it's obviously time to move on from a once great player.  If O'Shea insists on bringing him back, it'll show he's basing coaching decisions on emotion rather than logic. The same goes for Stanley and perhaps B.A. in the off-season, if they want to retain credibility and not play favourites, cheaper and younger has to be the mantra.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: blue_or_die on September 19, 2024, 04:06:59 PMI will maintain that I think he really wants to play next year and try for a home cup, and then he undoubtedly undoubtedly calls it a career after that.

That of course now hinges on how the recovery goes

A big factor is with ACL surgery is you can easily be out 9+ months.  Let's say he gets it in Oct.  That means the earliest he'd be coming back is June 2025.

I could see him & KW arranging a team-friendly contract, one that won't hamstring the SMS if he's on the (any!) IR.

If Biggie's mind is set on rehabbing and playing again, then by all means let him try.  It may turn out he gets Mike Miller'd and he can never be healthy enough again.  But at least let the guy try.  Who knows, he could start the process and him & the wife have a change of heart.

I can see the team making a special exception for Biggie as he's basically been here the longest in terms of guys we brought in to turn the ship around.  And AFAIK he hasn't ruined the Mafia relationship like AH33 did.  I can see them working with Biggie to find a contract that works.

I do think we owe Biggie that much.
Never go full Rider!

Blueforlife

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 20, 2024, 05:47:34 AMHe started this season with the same circumstances and it's questionable whether he was healthy at all this year.  The writings on the wall for Biggie and it's obviously time to move on from a once great player.  If O'Shea insists on bringing him back, it'll show he's basing coaching decisions on emotion rather than logic. The same goes for Stanley and perhaps B.A. in the off-season, if they want to retain credibility and not play favourites, cheaper and younger has to be the mantra.
Too early to write Stanley and BA off.  Sun is setting but don't have to leave the beach early.  Take one more dip before you go! ;)

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blueforlife on September 20, 2024, 12:43:10 PMToo early to write Stanley and BA off.  Sun is setting but don't have to leave the beach early.  Take one more dip before you go! ;)

This year is the test, if they fall short and don't make changes with the younger replacements already in house they'll fall shorter next season playing with the same lineup. Mid 30's is an apt time to move on for all. If Biggie wants to come back and do a "Miller" as a coach/player who doesn't play, that would be a great transition.

blue_or_die

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 20, 2024, 07:31:29 AMA big factor is with ACL surgery is you can easily be out 9+ months.  Let's say he gets it in Oct.  That means the earliest he'd be coming back is June 2025.

I could see him & KW arranging a team-friendly contract, one that won't hamstring the SMS if he's on the (any!) IR.

If Biggie's mind is set on rehabbing and playing again, then by all means let him try.  It may turn out he gets Mike Miller'd and he can never be healthy enough again.  But at least let the guy try.  Who knows, he could start the process and him & the wife have a change of heart.

I can see the team making a special exception for Biggie as he's basically been here the longest in terms of guys we brought in to turn the ship around.  And AFAIK he hasn't ruined the Mafia relationship like AH33 did.  I can see them working with Biggie to find a contract that works.

I do think we owe Biggie that much.

Yeah I actually agree with this. Is he under contract next year? I wonder how enticing it would be for him to take a discounted deal for a lightened role For the chance to get his name on the cup again one last time in front of his fans.
#Ride?

Jesse

Quote from: blue_or_die on September 20, 2024, 06:35:20 PMYeah I actually agree with this. Is he under contract next year? I wonder how enticing it would be for him to take a discounted deal for a lightened role For the chance to get his name on the cup again one last time in front of his fans.

He's not under contract.

I wonder if he signs a deal but is 6-gamed to begin the season so if he comes back, he only a small fraction of cap space.
My wife is amazing!