Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at Saskatchewan - Sept. 1, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, August 31, 2024, 06:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Go_Big_D

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 02, 2024, 02:14:23 AMA long time if we could field something like:

Bryant Desjar Couture Chungh Hardrick  !!!!!!

Oh ya, and if the league will do something that really stings teams taking cheap late head shots.

they aint gonna field a line like that ever!!!...gotta deal with reality there!!!

yea...those cheap hits...definitely, the league needs to clamp down or the command center needs to step in and say "hes outta hereee!"...and a fine wouldnt hurt either

dd

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 02, 2024, 01:53:05 AMStrev can throw.  He did well on his previous start this season.

He just seems to suck at those outs, which are hard to gauge.

I want to see us let him throw mid/deep.  We haven't done that yet.  It would catch SSK completely off guard.
C.mon man, are we watching the same Qb?? Everyone in the league knows he can't throw, including his coaching staff. He only threw 1 pass over 5 yards in the second half, that isn't going to get it done.  Davis Sanchez and Milt were totally calling him out after the game.

Thank god we have a decent lead when he came in. We are absolutely dead if he plays in the BB. Dead.
Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 02, 2024, 02:14:23 AMA long time if we could field something like:

Bryant Desjar Couture Chungh Hardrick  !!!!!!

Oh ya, and if the league will do something that really stings teams taking cheap late head shots.
If the league is serious about player safety, late head shots like Brown's which was totally avoidable should result in an automatic ejection from the game. As it was, we lose our starting quarterback and on the play with DPI, the Riders didn't take ANY yardage on this egregious foul. That is truly sad in this day and age of concussion prevention. Sad.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: The Zipp on September 02, 2024, 02:18:53 AMMilt knows it..Sanchez knows it..I know it...you know it..

Then let's make sure we don't hold out Zach for "precautions" in 7 days, eh?  Let's be hardnosed like every other HC and "if they can walk, they can play".  :o  :o  :o

Don't expect any info midweek by Mafia.  No one will have a clue Zach will start until 24 hrs before BB KO.  I won't be surprised to see Strev take all practice snaps with #1.
Never go full Rider!

Sir Blue and Gold

I don't think Streveler is ever going to be able to drop back and give you 30 passes from the pocket but it would be nice if he could give us a little more. I'm not sure how he can be a backup QB if he can't throw at all which is what we saw tonight.

Blue In BC

Yeah, I have no confidence in Streveler needing to throw a lot of passes. It didn't appear that Collaros was pulled for more than just precautionary issue.

OTOH, Bighill may be lost if that was more than a bruised knee. Didn't look good. At the very least we need to find another LB for the PR.

Defence did not play their best game but that was impacted by our offence not on the field as often or long enough.

Big momentum swing when Collaros went out.

Anyway we're currently in 1st place. We should win Banjo Bowl and solidify that spot.

Bryant should be back for that game.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on September 02, 2024, 02:23:26 AMI'm not sure how he can be a backup QB if he can't throw at all which is what we saw tonight.

Keep in mind he wasn't being allowed to pass mid/deep.  A) Because Buck doesn't have much faith, and B) we were in "Prevent O", just like we were in Prevent D.

Yes, I agree with everyone that Strev isn't the best passer, but I strongly maintain he can pass enough to win .500, and that is what we have him here for as a $110k backup.

If it's Strev in the BB we need to a) have him throw deep early to open up the D, b) do the run-run option with Brady that worked so well in his last start.
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on September 02, 2024, 02:23:26 AMI don't think Streveler is ever going to be able to drop back and give you 30 passes from the pocket but it would be nice if he could give us a little more. I'm not sure how he can be a backup QB if he can't throw at all which is what we saw tonight.

I have no idea why Strev looks so much worse than he did 5 years ago, but he's not even effective in a third down role, never mind a starting role.

No idea what happened , but it's not good for us
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 02, 2024, 02:24:00 AMOTOH, Bighill may be lost if that was more than a bruised knee. Didn't look good. At the very least we need to find another LB for the PR.

I think we should do some serious franchise-level MLB shopping right now.  Trade deadline in a few weeks.  Might cost us 1RDP though.

BC has shown that cap doesn't matter, so who cares about SMS cost.

Biggie likely out many games now, and can't make a real GC run without a top-class MLB.  This may be the time to pull the trigger.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on September 02, 2024, 02:26:57 AMI have no idea why Strev looks so much worse than he did 5 years ago, but he's not even effective in a third down role, never mind a starting role.

He got all of his sneaks tonight, including a 3 yard sneak TD (which I thought would take 2 tries).

I think our team is working hard on getting back to 95%+ on SY.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 02, 2024, 02:30:13 AMI think we should do some serious franchise-level MLB shopping right now.  Trade deadline in a few weeks.  Might cost us 1RDP though.

BC has shown that cap doesn't matter, so who cares about SMS cost.

Biggie likely out many games now, and can't make a real GC run without a top-class MLB.  This may be the time to pull the trigger.

Who do you think is even available and why would another team trade him for a draft pick?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

J5V

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on September 02, 2024, 02:23:26 AMI don't think Streveler is ever going to be able to drop back and give you 30 passes from the pocket but it would be nice if he could give us a little more. I'm not sure how he can be a backup QB if he can't throw at all which is what we saw tonight.
Streveler was, I am sure, running the plays he was told to run. What we couldn't afford was a turnover and we were successful. That was an extremely intelligent approach to run to get the win in the end. It chewed clock, resulted in FGs, and turned out to be just enough to help us win in a hostile environment whilst losing our all-star starting QB after one half. Streveler gave us exactly what we needed, a win.
Go Bombers!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 02, 2024, 02:26:46 AMKeep in mind he wasn't being allowed to pass mid/deep.  A) Because Buck doesn't have much faith, and B) we were in "Prevent O", just like we were in Prevent D.

Yes, I agree with everyone that Strev isn't the best passer, but I strongly maintain he can pass enough to win .500, and that is what we have him here for as a $110k backup.

If it's Strev in the BB we need to a) have him throw deep early to open up the D, b) do the run-run option with Brady that worked so well in his last start.

He wasn't being allowed to throw deep? I mean the play he hit Wolitarsky on the in (his deepest pass of the game) he had fly post from his other two receivers. That's basically a home run shot.

You're right though. That might have been the only play call like that of the night.

On the other hand, he's started 6 quarters of football and won two games for us so that's not exactly bad.

The Zipp

Quote from: Jesse on September 02, 2024, 02:26:57 AMI have no idea why Strev looks so much worse than he did 5 years ago, but he's not even effective in a third down role, never mind a starting role.

No idea what happened , but it's not good for us

He looks uncomfortable that is for sure.  Time in the nfl did him a disservice??  Odd for sure

markf

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 02, 2024, 02:26:46 AMKeep in mind he wasn't being allowed to pass mid/deep.  A) Because Buck doesn't have much faith, and B) we were in "Prevent O", just like we were in Prevent D.

Since we're quoting authorities... Lapo specifically said during this game broadcast that Streveller can pass.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 02, 2024, 02:31:43 AMWho do you think is even available and why would another team trade him for a draft pick?

1) No idea
2) Because HAM/EDM, maybe CGY, will soon be out of the playoff hunt
3) We'd also probably have to give them a good player

Why do other teams always seem to fill their holes for big playoff runs?  Ya, I want that!
Never go full Rider!