Parker?

Started by TecnoGenius, August 31, 2024, 05:31:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: J5V on September 01, 2024, 01:03:56 AMDon't mean to be a downer but knee injuries can be career ending.

Ya, but on the other side many R's have year 2 or 3 knee/achilles injuries and return to have massive careers.  Probably more than the ones that are ruined(?).

Bit of luck involved.  Cross your fingers for Schoen.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 01, 2024, 12:10:48 AMKeep in mind that after Nichols, Parker was the #2 vet DB.  Whatever Nichols was $getting$, Parker couldn't have been far behind.

The loss of Houston moved Parker up.  Holm was still on ELC (I believe).

I think Parker, if in 2023 form immediately, beats out Bonds.  However, you don't always want to mess with a clicking corps...

Based on past years I think it's 50/50 Parker would instantly draw back in if healthy.  Our DB corps is probably the most flexible and fluid roster-wise and we are never hesitant to field best-available-player.  It seems to be very plug & play.

Parker hasn't played long enough to ask for much above DB base nor likely to receive offers from other teams in FA.  None of these DB's will ever get cut, they'll all play on the merry-go-round until one falls off and gets hurt, the next man up steps into his place and takes over while he's in recovery.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 01, 2024, 02:33:25 AMParker hasn't played long enough to ask for much above base or receive offers from other teams in FA.  None of these DB's will ever get cut, they'll all play on the merry-go-round until one falls off and the next man up steps into his place while he's in recovery.

But with 2 full seasons (22 and 23) with us under his belt, he was the next-most-vettiest DB we had (after Nichols, and excluding FS) and definitely earned a bump on his first non-ELC contract.

Parker was 100% shoe-in to start for us in week 1 if not for injury.

We really got lucky Ford got up to speed by week 4ish and the rookies Bonds/Bridges have both looked like possible keepers.  Unlike OL, our DB situation is very strong with a bright future.
Never go full Rider!

DM83

Yup knee injuries are carer Enders.
I have known too many guys who don't come back from them , regarding their professional careers. Yes non professional abilities and functionality do come back....just not to a pro athlete level, regarding the ability to run at that level.

Good luck! Shoen appeared to be out of shape before he got injured again?. I don't think he is coming back. Loved him though.

ModAdmin

Schoen was definitely NOT out of shape.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Pigskin

Quote from: ModAdmin on September 01, 2024, 04:31:47 PMSchoen was definitely NOT out of shape.

Yes, I agree. And since his knee injury Dalton has put on some upper body muscle.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blueforlife

I expect Parker to be back next year, sign at a reasonable price and should be a reliable player for us.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: DM83 on September 01, 2024, 12:23:26 PMYup knee injuries are carer Enders.
I have known too many guys who don't come back from them
, regarding their professional careers. Yes non professional abilities and functionality do come back....just not to a pro athlete level, regarding the ability to run at that level.

Good luck! Shoen appeared to be out of shape before he got injured again?. I don't think he is coming back. Loved him though.

If you had to put a number on it, would you say 50% don't come back?  75% don't come back?  From my memory of CFL players that were good enough for me to notice, it would seem a good number do come back.  However, maybe they tail off after 1-2 more seasons and disappear?

Name some recent WPG players with ACL that did and/or didn't come back... let's do a case study.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Is Schoen on just a 1 year or did we get him on 2 year with that big payday signing in FA24?

If he's on 2 year, any guaranteed $$?  If he can't get back into form, does this cost us above and beyond losing an allstar player?

My hunch is he'll be back and better than ever.  He's a super young'n.
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 02, 2024, 07:39:10 AMIs Schoen on just a 1 year or did we get him on 2 year with that big payday signing in FA24?

If he's on 2 year, any guaranteed $$?  If he can't get back into form, does this cost us above and beyond losing an allstar player?

My hunch is he'll be back and better than ever.  He's a super young'n.

Just a one year.

Have to renegotiate with him and Kenny.
My wife is amazing!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Jesse on September 02, 2024, 02:28:26 PMJust a one year.

Have to renegotiate with him and Kenny.

Sign Kenny, let Dalton walk. He's a good player but we are spending too much at receiver.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on September 02, 2024, 02:33:55 PMSign Kenny, let Dalton walk. He's a good player but we are spending too much at receiver.

I think it might be the other way around. Schoen gets more targets / receptions and is a key 2nd down conversion receiver.

Lawler is the big strike and 50/50 ball guy. Wilson might be the one taking on that role in 2025 if we are unable to afford both.

Key question is will Schoen be available to start the season after his re-hab?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 01, 2024, 02:43:41 AMBut with 2 full seasons (22 and 23) with us under his belt, he was the next-most-vettiest DB we had (after Nichols, and excluding FS) and definitely earned a bump on his first non-ELC contract.

Parker was 100% shoe-in to start for us in week 1 if not for injury.

We really got lucky Ford got up to speed by week 4ish and the rookies Bonds/Bridges have both looked like possible keepers.  Unlike OL, our DB situation is very strong with a bright future.

A bump for a DB is like $10-20k, the secondary as a whole is a low budget congregation. Nichols is their top earner at $140k, BA comes in around $125k.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 02, 2024, 04:26:49 PMI think it might be the other way around. Schoen gets more targets / receptions and is a key 2nd down conversion receiver.

Lawler is the big strike and 50/50 ball guy. Wilson might be the one taking on that role in 2025 if we are unable to afford both.

Key question is will Schoen be available to start the season after his re-hab?

Schoen's skill set is more easily replaceable. Kenny Lawler remains a true 50-50 ball guy and draws a lot of under over.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on September 02, 2024, 05:32:19 PMSchoen's skill set is more easily replaceable. Kenny Lawler remains a true 50-50 ball guy and draws a lot of under over.

I see your point but disagree that Schoen's skill set is more easily replaceable. We got Lawler back but our offence has still struggled without that replacement of Schoen's toughness on 2nd down in particular.

26 TD's in his 1st 2 seasons. O. Wilson has 2 TD's so far.
2019 Grey Cup Champions