Parker?

Started by TecnoGenius, August 31, 2024, 05:31:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Is Parker ever coming back this season?  I was under the impression it wasn't a season-ender, whatever it was.  Now we're running out of season...

If he does come back, does he get a spot?  The current DBs are doing so well, might he lose his spot until an injury?  I guess Bonds would be the most likely to lose his spot to a returning Parker?  Bonds isn't flashy, but he seems to be holding his own and not losing us games.

The last thing I remember about Parker is on that last MTL drive in the GC (maybe on that 3rd & 3 play?) he was completely turned around and lost giving up a critical reception.  The whole D was messed up on that drive, except maybe Houston who almost batted down that TD...
Never go full Rider!

gobombersgo

Not much talk about Parker but he is in town rehabbing.

This is from Derek Taylor a couple of days ago:

During push-ups observers Dalton Schoen and Jamal Parker both testing their knees with some squats.
What could have been...

TecnoGenius

Quote from: gobombersgo on August 31, 2024, 06:52:20 AMDuring push-ups observers Dalton Schoen and Jamal Parker both testing their knees with some squats.
What could have been...

That's a timely comment from DT!  Thanks for sharing.

Was Parker's thing a knee issue?  ACL?  I guess if it's anything like Schoen's issue, we won't see either until the new year.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

I don't think Parker would regain his spot in the secondary unless there was an injury. All the DB's are playing too well.

EDIT: Even if he's capable of returning there is no current need to rush his return. He's potentially a free agent going into 2025. He isn't a big SMS salary player but his actual ability to return is not really known.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

I don't think Parker's back this season.
My wife is amazing!

bwiser

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 31, 2024, 05:31:19 AMIs Parker ever coming back this season?  I was under the impression it wasn't a season-ender, whatever it was.  Now we're running out of season...

If he does come back, does he get a spot?  The current DBs are doing so well, might he lose his spot until an injury?  I guess Bonds would be the most likely to lose his spot to a returning Parker?  Bonds isn't flashy, but he seems to be holding his own and not losing us games.

The last thing I remember about Parker is on that last MTL drive in the GC (maybe on that 3rd & 3 play?) he was completely turned around and lost giving up a critical reception.  The whole D was messed up on that drive, except maybe Houston who almost batted down that TD...

If Parker makes that play the Bombers win the Grey Cup. I am not blaming the whole game on Parker but he contributed to the loss.

Blue In BC

Quote from: bwiser on August 31, 2024, 02:39:10 PMIf Parker makes that play the Bombers win the Grey Cup. I am not blaming the whole game on Parker but he contributed to the loss.

I think that was Houston.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 31, 2024, 01:50:45 PMI don't think Parker would regain his spot in the secondary unless there was an injury. All the DB's are playing too well.

EDIT: Even if he's capable of returning there is no current need to rush his return. He's potentially a free agent going into 2025. He isn't a big SMS salary player but his actual ability to return is not really known.

Have to keep Parker around for next year, he's a good player, he'll still be relatively cheap and can fill in for whoever they might lose in the off-season, most likely candidates Ford or Holm.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 31, 2024, 03:35:30 PMHave to keep Parker around for next year, he's a good player, he'll still be relatively cheap and can fill in for whoever they might lose in the off-season, most likely candidates Ford or Holms.

I'm all in favour of seeing him return in 2025. We can't predict whether we lose a DB in free agency of whether we have injuries in TC.

As you suggested his SMS hit shouldn't be that much, but he may choose to explore free agency. That's beyond our control.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

Watching Parker and Schoen in practice this week. They are both awhile away from returning. They were both climbing stairs, but at a very slow rate. When and if they start running in the end zone, that's when we can start to get excited about a return.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on August 31, 2024, 06:15:57 PMWatching parker and Schoen in practice this week. They are both awhile away from returning. They were both climbing stairs, but at a very slow rate. When and if they start running in the end zone, that's when we can start to get excited about a return.

Yeah, it doesn't appear either will be back in 2023. That's unfortunate for both players trying to re-hab.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 31, 2024, 02:41:51 PMI think that was Houston.

I just double-checked and it was indeed Parker on Spieker and it was 3rd & 5 with 33s on the clock.  Make that stop and we win the game.  Parker bit on the short feint and was out of position to stop the mid jump ball.

Houston was the final TD.

Definitely the loss isn't all on Parker: the whole team took turns screwing up, on both sides.  I'd say the only "great" player that night was Castillo.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 31, 2024, 01:50:45 PMEDIT: Even if he's capable of returning there is no current need to rush his return. He's potentially a free agent going into 2025. He isn't a big SMS salary player but his actual ability to return is not really known.

Keep in mind that after Nichols, Parker was the #2 vet DB.  Whatever Nichols was $getting$, Parker couldn't have been far behind.

The loss of Houston moved Parker up.  Holm was still on ELC (I believe).

I think Parker, if in 2023 form immediately, beats out Bonds.  However, you don't always want to mess with a clicking corps...

Based on past years I think it's 50/50 Parker would instantly draw back in if healthy.  Our DB corps is probably the most flexible and fluid roster-wise and we are never hesitant to field best-available-player.  It seems to be very plug & play.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pigskin on August 31, 2024, 06:15:57 PMWatching Parker and Schoen in practice this week. They are both awhile away from returning. They were both climbing stairs, but at a very slow rate. When and if they start running in the end zone, that's when we can start to get excited about a return.

Knees are like that.  You can feel like you can do everything, but push it too hard too soon and "SNAP", "doh".
Never go full Rider!

J5V

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 01, 2024, 12:12:21 AMKnees are like that.  You can feel like you can do everything, but push it too hard too soon and "SNAP", "doh".
Don't mean to be a downer but knee injuries can be career ending. Most of the athletes I've known, some personally, in this group were goalies but I imagine it applies to football players too. I remember Arceneaux for BC blowing out his knee and he was never the same. I never get my hopes up too high.
Go Bombers!