Redblacks at Lions Touchdown Pacific Sat 6PM CT GDT

Started by GOLDMEMBER, August 28, 2024, 07:46:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobombersgo

Canadian DE Mathieu Betts makes return to B.C. Lions' lineup for Touchdown Pacific
By 3Down Staff -August 30, 2024

Canadian defensive end Mathieu Betts is fresh off the plane from Motor City and back in the B.C. Lions' lineup, as the 29-year-old is expected to start Saturday in Victoria for the inaugural Touchdown Pacific game.

Betts was re-signed on Wednesday after spending training camp with the NFL's Lions, producing two solo tackles and one sack over three preseason games in Detroit. He arrived on Vancouver Island on Thursday and will be counted upon to inject some pass rush into a B.C. defence that is on a five-game losing skid.

The native of Montreal, Que. had the best year of his career in 2023 with the Lions when he made 42 defensive tackles, 18 sacks and four forced fumbles. He broke Brett Johnson's CFL record for single-season sacks by a Canadian player and was named the league's Most Outstanding Defensive Player.

Through 55 CFL games with Edmonton and B.C., Betts has made 81 tackles, 27 sacks, five forced fumbles, and four special teams tackles.

It isn't all good news along the defensive line, however, as Global defensive tackle Tibo Debaillie (lower back) has been placed on the six-game injured list. Canadian defensive end Josh Archibald (shoulder), who is second on the team with four sacks this year, also won't be available after going on the one-game injured list.

Elsewhere on defence, Canadian linebacker Ben Hladik (calf) is back on the one-game injured list after he was a late scratch last week. American Ace Eley will continue to start in his place at middle linebacker.

The secondary will also be reshuffled, with T.J. Lee moving to strong-side linebacker and Emmanuel Rugamba swapping to his spot at boundary halfback. Canadian Adrian Greene returns to his natural safety position, knocking Patrice Rene out of the starting lineup, and Ronald Kent Jr. comes off the practice roster to play field halfback. Backup Jordan Perryman (hamstring) has been placed on the one-game injured list.

Offensively, Vernon Adams Jr. will not dress but remains listed as the third-string quarterback behind Nathan Rourke and Chase Brice. Canadian receiver Kieran Poissant, who played junior football for the Westshore Rebels in Victoria, will dress as insurance, while Global kicker Carl Meyer is also in the lineup.

The Lions (5-6) will host the Ottawa Redblacks (7-2-1) in Victoria, B.C. on Saturday, August 31 at 7:00 p.m. EDT.

https://3downnation.com/2024/08/30/canadian-de-mathieu-betts-makes-return-to-b-c-lions-lineup-for-touchdown-pacific/

gobombersgo

Ottawa Redblacks missing two starting receivers for Touchdown Pacific

The Ottawa Redblacks are banged up entering their West Coast rematch with the B.C. Lions and will be missing a number of important starters, including two in the receiving corps.

Bralon Addison (hand) and Jaelon Acklin (head) have both been placed on the six-game injured list after playing pivotal roles in last week's game. Addison has posted 27 receptions for 315 yards this season, with 92 of those coming against B.C. Meanwhile, Acklin had amassed 45 receptions for 484 yards and three touchdowns prior to being taken off in an ambulance last week.

The duo will be replaced in the starting lineup by Eli Stove and Andre Miller. Both players are rookies who will be making their CFL debuts.

Another notable name absent from the lineup will be middle linebacker Jovan Santos-Knox (knee), who has also been moved to the six-game injured list. In 10 games this season, the veteran has collected 53 defensive tackles, two sacks, and an interception. Former NFL draft pick Davion Taylor will get the start, with Silas Stewart dressing as insurance.

The Redblacks will be buoyed by the return of two key pieces in the trenches. Right guard Dariusz Bladek returns after a brief absence, knocking Jacob Ruby to a backup role and making Cyrille Hogan-Saindon a healthy scratch. On the other side of the ball, all-star defensive end Bryce Carter will be back in the lineup after a one-week absence.

Veteran special teams standout Nigel Romick will also dress, while Canadian receiver Daniel Oladejo and American defensive back Bennett Williams have been demoted to the practice roster.

The Ottawa Redblacks (7-2-1) will visit the B.C. Lions (5-6) in Victoria on Saturday, August 31 at 7:00 p.m. EDT for Touchdown Pacific.

https://3downnation.com/2024/08/30/ottawa-redblacks-missing-two-starting-receivers-for-touchdown-pacific/

Stats Junkie

Quote from: gobombersgo on August 30, 2024, 07:47:51 PMOffensively, Vernon Adams Jr. will not dress but remains listed as the third-string quarterback behind Nathan Rourke and Chase Brice. Canadian receiver Kieran Poissant, who played junior football for the Westshore Rebels in Victoria, will dress as insurance, while Global kicker Carl Meyer is also in the lineup.
I watched Carl Meyer get some reps in pre-game about a month ago. He appears to be primarily a punter & that kid can pound the ball. He would kick 3 balls in succession one way then collect the balls and kick the other way. He was placing 2 of the balls at the sidelines with about 50% landing in bounds - the other ball would be kicked down the numbers. I saw one punt travel 97 yards (75 in the air) from release until it stopped.

For those on TwiXter, Double J @JayJanower of Global BC has a number of short videos that he has posted over the past 2 days.
Twitter: @Stats_Junkie
Threads: statsjunkie71

gobombersgo

Quote from: Stats Junkie on August 30, 2024, 09:45:12 PMI watched Carl Meyer get some reps in pre-game about a month ago. He appears to be primarily a punter & that kid can pound the ball. He would kick 3 balls in succession one way then collect the balls and kick the other way. He was placing 2 of the balls at the sidelines with about 50% landing in bounds - the other ball would be kicked down the numbers. I saw one punt travel 97 yards (75 in the air) from release until it stopped.

For those on TwiXter, Double J @JayJanower of Global BC has a number of short videos that he has posted over the past 2 days.

People complain about some of the Bombers' roster decisions but I'm not sure if the Lions are any better.

They are dressing 2 punters? I guess they are out of players as they only have 5 on the practice roster.

There is no need to dress the Global punter however as they already have a Global in the line-up.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: gobombersgo on August 30, 2024, 10:45:18 PMThey are dressing 2 punters? I guess they are out of players as they only have 5 on the practice roster.

Uh... really?  Are they in such cap h.e.hockey-sticks that they can't afford to even fill the PR when AR guys get IR'd??  I'm not sure I've ever even heard of such a thing?  Is that also why VAJ is ARd for these games but never dresses?  They can't afford even a PR QB?

This is simply nuts if true.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Wow.  OTT roster is decimated!  If they were full strength I think they keep beating BC down (as everyone else is doing), but with so many nobodies slotting in I don't see how they keep that O rolling?

Could Rourke & BC suck so bad a devastated OTT team still beats them?  Now THAT would be a story.
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

Covington backing up?  That's kind of a waste, no?
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: theaardvark on August 31, 2024, 04:05:19 PMCovington backing up?  That's kind of a waste, no?

What the depth chart says and what happens in reality are two different things. As a Canadian, Covington can have as many snaps they want him to have.

theaardvark

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 31, 2024, 04:16:13 PMWhat the depth chart says and what happens in reality are two different things. As a Canadian, Covington can have as many snaps they want him to have.

We know that depth charts define nothing, but we also know certain players get their noses out of joint when listed as a backup.

Kind of a slap in the face for a player you are paying top dollar to play.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: gobombersgo on August 30, 2024, 07:48:06 PMOttawa Redblacks missing two starting receivers for Touchdown Pacific

The Ottawa Redblacks are banged up entering their West Coast rematch with the B.C. Lions and will be missing a number of important starters, including two in the receiving corps.

Bralon Addison (hand) and Jaelon Acklin (head) have both been placed on the six-game injured list after playing pivotal roles in last week's game. Addison has posted 27 receptions for 315 yards this season, with 92 of those coming against B.C. Meanwhile, Acklin had amassed 45 receptions for 484 yards and three touchdowns prior to being taken off in an ambulance last week.

The duo will be replaced in the starting lineup by Eli Stove and Andre Miller. Both players are rookies who will be making their CFL debuts.

Surprised Bailey isn't already starting, by next week I think he will be.

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 31, 2024, 02:15:52 AMUh... really?  Are they in such cap h.e.hockey-sticks that they can't afford to even fill the PR when AR guys get IR'd??  I'm not sure I've ever even heard of such a thing?  Is that also why VAJ is ARd for these games but never dresses?  They can't afford even a PR QB?

This is simply nuts if true.

Well a PR player might earn $750 to $1000 a game. If they only have 5 instead of 12, then they are saving $7K this week against the PR.

However they also have 5 on the 1 game IR which counts against the SMS. So that negates the PR savings.

Those players may be back next week pushing this weeks changes back to the PR. Time will tell.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

markf

How is Ottawa running game?

I would be running at this guy, if possible.

" The secondary will also be reshuffled, with T.J. Lee moving to strong-side linebacker"

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 31, 2024, 05:02:02 PMWell a PR player might earn $750 to $1000 a game. If they only have 5 instead of 12, then they are saving $7K this week against the PR.

However they also have 5 on the 1 game IR which counts against the SMS. So that negates the PR savings.

Those players may be back next week pushing this weeks changes back to the PR. Time will tell.

Well, a PR player must make at least $750/week.  There is no upper limit on a PR salary, but they do come under the $SMS of every team.  You could pay a player $5000/wk on the PR if you wanted/needed to.  So, having Bailey on the PR doesn't necessarily mean he is getting the minimum, the fact they do not have an AR spot for him does not preclude the paying him an AR level salary.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on August 31, 2024, 05:44:43 PMWell, a PR player must make at least $750/week.  There is no upper limit on a PR salary, but they do come under the $SMS of every team.  You could pay a player $5000/wk on the PR if you wanted/needed to.  So, having Bailey on the PR doesn't necessarily mean he is getting the minimum, the fact they do not have an AR spot for him does not preclude the paying him an AR level salary.

This is a discussion that was in a string last year. Yes they can pay him more but if they are going to do that they may as well put him on 1 game IR. PR spots are limited.

I suppose he might be getting a bit more but expect he will make the AR soon. He has chemistry with Brown and CFL experience over 2 rookies.

Redblacks lost 2 starting receivers to what may be long term injuries.

2019 Grey Cup Champions