2024 Ring of Honour inductee - Charles Roberts

Started by The Zipp, August 26, 2024, 06:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse

Quote from: bwiser on August 29, 2024, 06:01:00 PMThe Bombers won that trade. Roberts didn't do anything after that trade and was out of football not long after. Joe Smith was an effective running back for a couple seasons.

Both players finished the year and retired.

It was clearly not a football trade, but the desperate move of a struggling team trying to "shake things up" and the player and fans suffered for it.
My wife is amazing!

The Zipp

On September 1, 2008, Smith was traded to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers for fellow RB Charles Roberts.

He was released by Winnipeg on June 25, 2009.

He was barely here..

bwiser

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on August 29, 2024, 07:11:53 PMIt is to bad you feel this way. A pity really.
I don't question his talent I question his character. Can he even come to Canada.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: bwiser on August 29, 2024, 08:46:39 PMI don't question his talent I question his character. Can he even come to Canada.

Are you serious? You surprise me here pal. Sounds like he'll be here next week so what gives?
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Jesse

Quote from: bwiser on August 29, 2024, 08:46:39 PMI don't question his talent I question his character.

He's been back before.
My wife is amazing!

bomb squad

Quote from: bwiser on August 29, 2024, 06:05:47 PMI know I am in the minority here but I was never a big fan of Roberts. I felt he wasted his talent. I have hard time for forgiving his lack of professionality when he partied all night in Montreal the night before the 2001 Grey Cup. He always came across to me as a bit of a selfish player. He would not be on O'Sheas team. Having said this his statistics make him worthy of being in the ring of honor but I think he was capable of so much more if he trained harder and didn't smoke.

I take it you mean 2007 in Toronto. Roberts actually played pretty well in 2001 and he was a rookie.
Does anybody have anything to substantiate this rumour, other than hearsay? I've never heard Charles admit to it, never heard another player or coach say it, never heard a media person say it. Maybe somebody did see him out that night somewhere. Does that mean he was "partying all night"?

It is fair to say he had a bad game however. That we all saw.

GOLDMEMBER

Sir Blue and Gold

Who knows what is true. It doesn't really matter. He is being put into the ring (and celebrated) for his ability to play football. I understand the need for a sanity check, we can't be honoring axe murderers afterall, but too many people want everyone to be squeaky clean. Look hard enough or judge people only by their worst moments and who could be celebrated for anything?

Jesse

Quote from: bomb squad on August 29, 2024, 10:35:35 PMI take it you mean 2007 in Toronto. Roberts actually played pretty well in 2001 and he was a rookie.
Does anybody have anything to substantiate this rumour, other than heresay? I've never heard Charles admit to it, never heard another player or coach say it, never heard a media person say it. Maybe somebody did see him out that night somewhere. Does that mean he was "partying all night"?

It is fair to say he had a bad game however. That we all saw.

Yeah, I fully believe it happened. Don't think it's in the top 3 reasons that we lost the game, and it simply can't take away all of the emotional investment I have in 7 years of watching him dominate for us.
My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Jesse on August 29, 2024, 11:28:35 PMYeah, I fully believe it happened. Don't think it's in the top 3 reasons that we lost the game, and it simply can't take away all of the emotional investment I have in 7 years of watching him dominate for us.

I think Milt was his roommate and he's mentioned before he never saw Roberts all night before the GC.  Of course Milt was in bed by 9:00 pm.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 29, 2024, 11:11:10 PMWho knows what is true. It doesn't really matter. He is being put into the ring (and celebrated) for his ability to play football. I understand the need for a sanity check, we can't be honoring axe murderers afterall, but too many people want everyone to be squeaky clean. Look hard enough or judge people only by their worst moments and who could be celebrated for anything?
Well put as always. Can we not just celebrate the greatness of his on field play? He is THE reason so many even bothered to attend Blue Bomber games.

Jesse

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on August 30, 2024, 01:26:19 PMWell put as always. Can we not just celebrate the greatness of his on field play? He is THE reason so many even bothered to attend Blue Bomber games.

I absolutely let player's off field antics affect my perception of the player.

But with Charlie, people just are always so worked up with "what he could have been". This is who he was.  Maybe had he had Milt's work ethic we never would have seen him at all. Just straight to the NFL. Maybe, what if, etc.

What we had, was the best I've ever seen. That's the argument for me.
My wife is amazing!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Jesse on August 30, 2024, 02:25:29 PMI absolutely let player's off field antics affect my perception of the player.

But with Charlie, people just are always so worked up with "what he could have been". This is who he was.  Maybe had he had Milt's work ethic we never would have seen him at all. Just straight to the NFL. Maybe, what if, etc.

What we had, was the best I've ever seen. That's the argument for me.
yes I'm on the exact same page.

ModAdmin

Let's not discuss/speculate about anyone's personal life allegations here.  It is against the rules.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden