2024 Ring of Honour inductee - Charles Roberts

Started by The Zipp, August 26, 2024, 06:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on August 27, 2024, 07:29:34 AMAs soon as I read the Blink Robert's headline I immediate thought of Goldie.....he's definitely one of my all time favourite Bomber running backs.....I rank him up there with my personal favourites starting with Leo Lewis, Mack Herron, Dave Raimey, and Andrew Harris.   There were other greats no doubt but Blink is in my personal top 5!!
You know it Linc. Hearing those words from you mean a lot to me.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Jesse

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on August 27, 2024, 07:47:16 AMI know Jesse and I share this opinion.

Long over due for the clubs all time leading rusher among other prominent categories. thanks Linc, you know I have been calling for this a while now. Blink was the reason I got STs in a few of those years. Truly worth the price of admission. :)

Still the only player I broke down in tears when he was moved to BC after that LD game.

Looking forward to grabbing another autograph or two from him!

Love ya Charlie!

Blink is the reason I'm a CFL fan. The player that got me into football and kept me buying tickets throughout all those lean years, even after he was gone.

I'll absolutely never forgive the then Bomber management of Berry and Taman for trading him the way they did.

I really hope I'll get the opportunity for an autograph this weekend!
My wife is amazing!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Jesse on August 27, 2024, 12:06:40 PMBlink is the reason I'm a CFL fan. The player that got me into football and kept me buying tickets throughout all those lean years, even after he was gone.

I'll absolutely never forgive the then Bomber management of Berry and Taman for trading him the way they did.

I was a 4 year season ticket holder by time he arrived but he got more excited to come to the park than any other player.

blue_gold_84

Blink is one of the best ever. Such a unique talent and he shredded defenses with regularity during his time here.

Still bothers me he never got a ring.

Quote from: Ducky on August 27, 2024, 05:17:13 AMReminds me that the Bombers under a different regime traded him just shy of 10,000 yards rushing.   >:(

FTFY

One of the dumber decisions under Taman, IMO.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

TheDeuce

Quote from: Jesse on August 27, 2024, 12:06:40 PMBlink is the reason I'm a CFL fan. The player that got me into football and kept me buying tickets throughout all those lean years, even after he was gone.

Trivia:

Without Googling it, who was the player we got in return?

m.
I went to the vet with my goldfish.
"I think it's got epilepsy" I says.
The vet takes a look & says, "It seems calm enough to me."

Stupid vet - I hadn't taken it out of the bowl yet.

The Zipp

Quote from: TheDeuce on August 27, 2024, 05:46:35 PMTrivia:

m.

Joe Smith or something really generic like that - dude was more interested in growing a garden than playing football

ModAdmin

Quote from: The Zipp on August 27, 2024, 05:49:42 PMJoe Smith or something really generic like that - dude was more interested in growing a garden than playing football

Although Joe Smith was all business on the field though.  A very good running back.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

blue_gold_84

Despite his generic name, there was nothing generic about Joe Smith's game as a bruising tailback.

I still hate the trade to this day, just to be clear. It made me confirm my utter dislike of Taman.

But to suggest Smith didn't care about football is absurd.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

The Zipp

Jesse

Quote from: TheDeuce on August 27, 2024, 05:46:35 PMTrivia:

m.

Don't worry, I remember Joe Smith.

A bunch of people loved the Reid/Smith combo but I was so jaded that I couldn't bring myself to ever really like either of them.
My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Jesse on August 27, 2024, 09:19:36 PMDon't worry, I remember Joe Smith.

A bunch of people loved the Reid/Smith combo but I was so jaded that I couldn't bring myself to ever really like either of them.

Smith's tenure here is easily forgotten. Reid carved himself out a pretty nice career in the years that followed, though.

What bothered me about the trade more than anything is that it didn't address an issue - at all.

That 2008 season was a strange one.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

bwiser

Quote from: ModAdmin on August 27, 2024, 06:33:55 PMAlthough Joe Smith was all business on the field though.  A very good running back.
The Bombers won that trade. Roberts didn't do anything after that trade and was out of football not long after. Joe Smith was an effective running back for a couple seasons.

bwiser

I know I am in the minority here but I was never a big fan of Roberts. I felt he wasted his talent. I have hard time for forgiving his lack of professionality when he partied all night in Montreal the night before the 2001 Grey Cup. He always came across to me as a bit of a selfish player. He would not be on O'Sheas team. Having said this his statistics make him worthy of being in the ring of honor but I think he was capable of so much more if he trained harder and didn't smoke.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: bwiser on August 29, 2024, 06:01:00 PMThe Bombers won that trade. Roberts didn't do anything after that trade and was out of football not long after. Joe Smith was an effective running back for a couple seasons.

Neither Smith nor Roberts played after the 2008 season. How either team won that silly, useless trade is beyond me.

Quote from: bwiser on August 29, 2024, 06:05:47 PMI know I am in the minority here but I was never a big fan of Roberts. I felt he wasted his talent. I have hard time for forgiving his lack of professionality when he partied all night in Montreal the night before the 2001 Grey Cup. He always came across to me as a bit of a selfish player. He would not be on O'Sheas team. Having said this his statistics make him worthy of being in the ring of honor but I think he was capable of so much more if he trained harder and didn't smoke.

Hard to be certain of that. Maybe a guy like Roberts could've used a coach like O'Shea.

And if you're going to single him out for what happened in 2001, I think you're ignoring the bigger picture.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: bwiser on August 29, 2024, 06:05:47 PMI know I am in the minority here but I was never a big fan of Roberts. I felt he wasted his talent. I have hard time for forgiving his lack of professionality when he partied all night in Montreal the night before the 2001 Grey Cup. He always came across to me as a bit of a selfish player. He would not be on O'Sheas team. Having said this his statistics make him worthy of being in the ring of honor but I think he was capable of so much more if he trained harder and didn't smoke.
It is to bad you feel this way. A pity really.