Chris Jones has a new gig. - defensive coordinator with Hamilton

Started by The Zipp, August 18, 2024, 04:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stats Junkie

Quote from: theaardvark on August 20, 2024, 06:17:02 PMAny word on his pat in Hamilton, or how much Edm is saving with him now under contract in Ham?

He is a "senior defensive assistant", but that's still under the front office SMS right?
Farhan Lalji @FarhanLaljiTSN - Aug 19
Jones will be calling the defensive plays & my understanding is he won't be getting paid by the #TiCats for the balance of the season, hence the title.
Meanwhile, he was bought out by #Elks, receiving approx 12 months pay following his dismissal. So he's doing just fine 💵
Twitter: @Stats_Junkie
Threads: statsjunkie71

theaardvark

Quote from: Stats Junkie on August 20, 2024, 06:37:25 PMFarhan Lalji @FarhanLaljiTSN - Aug 19
Jones will be calling the defensive plays & my understanding is he won't be getting paid by the #TiCats for the balance of the season, hence the title.
Meanwhile, he was bought out by #Elks, receiving approx 12 months pay following his dismissal. So he's doing just fine 💵

If ANYONE thinks that Jones is volunteering his time for free, I have some ocean front property near Brandon for sale.

He is getting, at minimum, all his expenses paid (room, meals, transportation), all of which are $SMS attributable.

Bob Young will find a way to pay him under the table. 
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on August 20, 2024, 07:09:37 PMIf ANYONE thinks that Jones is volunteering his time for free, I have some ocean front property near Brandon for sale.

He is getting, at minimum, all his expenses paid (room, meals, transportation), all of which are $SMS attributable.

Bob Young will find a way to pay him under the table. 

The Ti-Cats pull this stunt almost every year, they bring them in as consultants and pay them outside the coaching cap. Milanovich may have even followed this path.

dd

The Ticats could bring in bill bellichek,it wouldn't make a difference. Their roster needs talent, they need someone like, gulp, Danny Mac to help them turn this sinking ship around. I am hoping they don't make him an offer he can't refus in the off season, but quit spending it on coaches you need a decent talent pipeline

Jesse

Quote from: dd on August 20, 2024, 08:38:48 PMThe Ticats could bring in bill bellichek,it wouldn't make a difference. Their roster needs talent, they need someone like, gulp, Danny Mac to help them turn this sinking ship around. I am hoping they don't make him an offer he can't refus in the off season, but quit spending it on coaches you need a decent talent pipeline

Danny Mac isn't going anywhere. The guy doesn't want to move back up to Canada and he can't GM remotely like he does for us.
My wife is amazing!

markf

The  Ticats are not paying him?

Elks new owner going to love this. Nice way to welcome him to the league.

dd

Quote from: Jesse on August 20, 2024, 08:54:36 PMDanny Mac isn't going anywhere. The guy doesn't want to move back up to Canada and he can't GM remotely like he does for us.
No but there's nothing stopping them from paying him more dollars to do what he does for us for his former team in steeltown that gave him the opportunity to me a starter and star in this league.

What would Hamilton look like with dalton schoen, tyrell ford, and Evan holm in their lineup?? Significantly better. They need to improve their talent pipeline. I wouldn't rule this out

GOLDMEMBER

Watch the TiCats D suffer profusely under Joke or I mean Derp Jones.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on August 20, 2024, 06:17:02 PMAny word on his pat in Hamilton, or how much Edm is saving with him now under contract in Ham?

He is a "senior defensive assistant", but that's still under the front office SMS right?

That's a great question.  It might put him in the same grey area as Hall.  I think we changed Hall titles to squeak by some coach SMS issues... HAM might be doing the same.

Still need to explain how the money owed from EDM works... If you had guaranteed $600k+ for no-show from your old job, why would you take $200k to work and lose the $600?  Something isn't adding up.
Never go full Rider!

TBURGESS

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 20, 2024, 10:23:29 PMThat's a great question.  It might put him in the same grey area as Hall.  I think we changed Hall titles to squeak by some coach SMS issues... HAM might be doing the same.

Still need to explain how the money owed from EDM works... If you had guaranteed $600k+ for no-show from your old job, why would you take $200k to work and lose the $600?  Something isn't adding up.
Apparently, he's working for free for Hammy because the HC money is more than the DC money. That's why his title isn't DC. 
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Pete

Maybe we should hire an additional coach we could call him an intern

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 20, 2024, 10:23:29 PMThat's a great question.  It might put him in the same grey area as Hall.  I think we changed Hall titles to squeak by some coach SMS issues... HAM might be doing the same.

Pretty hard to disguise it when he's directly replacing the guy they fired to hire him.  Mark Washington may have been an experienced DC, but it was mostly bad results in BC from 2013-19 and in Hammytown afterward.

theaardvark

Thinking about it, I;m pretty sure the EDM buyout closed the books on Jones/Edm.  They eat the $SMS regardless what he gets paid elsewhere.  If the contract was being paid out, different story, but IIRC, he was bought out.

Him "working for free" in Ham is bogus.  If they can flagrantly abuse the front office $SMS cap, why have one t all?
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: theaardvark on August 21, 2024, 03:50:18 PMThinking about it, I;m pretty sure the EDM buyout closed the books on Jones/Edm.  They eat the $SMS regardless what he gets paid elsewhere.  If the contract was being paid out, different story, but IIRC, he was bought out.

Him "working for free" in Ham is bogus.  If they can flagrantly abuse the front office $SMS cap, why have one t all?

If you can convince someone to work for free how could that be 'flagrant abuse' of the cap?

TecnoGenius

Quote from: TBURGESS on August 21, 2024, 02:58:52 PMApparently, he's working for free for Hammy because the HC money is more than the DC money. That's why his title isn't DC.

Wow!!  Holy rule circumvention and reaming of EDM batman!

Quote from: theaardvark on August 21, 2024, 03:50:18 PMHim "working for free" in Ham is bogus.  If they can flagrantly abuse the front office $SMS cap, why have one t all?

Ya, one would think the league would want to close this loophole.  I guess they never envisioned a high-up taking a demotion job somewhere else?  Not many GM/HC people go back to being DC.  The only one I can think of recently is Benevides (HC->DC).  I guess Reinbold too?

It must doubly-sting in EDM that they are paying, what, $750k to give HAM a "D assistant" for free?!  Since I'm not an EDM fan, I can laugh a bit at it, but if I was an EDM fan I'd be livid.
Never go full Rider!